none
App-V: Autostart an Application in every cloud hosted by the App-V client

Question

• In the documentation I have not found any hint on the presents of an Autostart feature of the App-V client. At every startup of an App-V cloud I need to run a specific application (I name it BackManager here). This app is just running as a background task for the other apps running in the cloud. The BackManager needs to be up and running to be used by the apps running in the cloud.

If the App-V app has been started via start menu I want the BackManager to start in the cloud. If a document that is registered with an App-V app is clicked and the app starts I want the BackManager to start too.

In good old windows you can use RUN of the registry or the STARTUP folder but how can this be achieved for the App-V cloud? The LaunchCommand /EXE is not sufficient because it will not start the BackManager when a document that has been registered with an App-V app will start the app. Sadly the template for the DDELaunchCommand does not support the /EXE parameter.

Friday, March 02, 2012 1:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

See the scripting possibility;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939085

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Marked as answer by Tron 42 Friday, March 02, 2012 2:37 PM
    Friday, March 02, 2012 2:05 PM
  • What do you mean by "App-V cloud"? App-V doesn't change where the applications execute - they will still execute where the App-V client is installed.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, March 02, 2012 2:26 PM
  • That will be very helpfull. Thank you very much.
    Friday, March 02, 2012 2:38 PM
  • @Aaron.Parker: I prefer to call it cloud because every virtualized App can see registry and environment settings very specific for the Application. It is even possible that two Apps see the same registry hive with different settings because they are running in truely separated environments. To me this has more the character of a cloud that acts as an abstraction layer to the host. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Friday, March 02, 2012 3:00 PM
  • @Aaron.Parker: I prefer to call it cloud because every virtualized App can see registry and environment settings very specific for the Application. It is even possible that two Apps see the same registry hive with different settings because they are running in truely separated environments. To me this has more the character of a cloud that acts as an abstraction layer to the host. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    I'm just making sure you're not confusing App-V with a hosted type solution, but it sounds like you're on the right track.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, March 02, 2012 3:08 PM