none
App-V Client shortcut creation wrong icon path with roaming profiles (blank icons)

Question

• Hello Everybody,

We have been using App-V for quite some time now and have the following problem with blank icons in combination with roaming profiles and almost identical usernames where I'm unable to find a solution for.

There are a lot of users that have an username beginnen with the exact same letters, for example ResearchStudent1, ResearchStudent2, ResearchStudent3 etc
    We also use roaming profiles (no file/directory exclusions). Local profiles are not deleted on logoff.

When these users log on, App-V creates their shortcuts for the App-V applications on the users desktop and start menu. When you look into those shortcuts you can see that the path to the icon is something like "%systemdrive%\users\resear~1\AppData\Roaming\SOFTGR~1\ICONCA~1\App1.ico"

So far so good, the shortcut works and the user has a nice icon.

Next, another user logs on and he gets shortcuts with an icon path of "%systemdrive%\users\resear~2\AppData\Roaming\SOFTGR~1\ICONCA~1\App1.ico"

We still don't have a problem at this time. But if users switch computers where the sequal number ~1 and ~2 etc don't fit the correct path for the user anymore, the icon can't be found and the user gets a blank icon.

Deleting all icons and refreshing the softgrid application fixes the problem, but this is not a permanent solution.

Does anybody have a similar issue? Or does somebody know how we could force the App-V client to create shortcuts that have a path to the icon with a variable like "%AppData%\Softgrid Client\Icon Cache" or to not use the ancient 8.3 notation but full path?

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

I suggest you open a ticket with Microsoft-support

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

• Marked as answer by Martijn1985 Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:30 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:03 AM
  • Thank you for the advice. I think I will as it looks like a bug.

To quickly solve my issue I have created a little program that modifies all the icon shortcut path to "%appdata%\Softgrid Client\Icon Cache\..." on logon

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:29 AM