none
Creating File Association to App-v Application

Question

• Hello, we are runnig App-v in our Citrix Terminal server environment. We have turned off publishing refresh to speed up logins but this means users don't get any file associations set.

I'm trying to set the .sav association to open our App-v spss software. I've tried copying the HKCU keys out of a server that has the associatons turned on, I'm then importing these at login. I can see the keys in the registry, the file has the app-v icon associated with it but when you try and launch the file I get the following App-v error message:

There are no applications that can be used to open this document.

Error code: 4615186-04B03401-00031013.

Clearly I am missing something linking the file to the application I want it to run.

These are the keys I've copied:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sav]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sav\OpenWithList]
    "a"="sfttray.exe"
    "MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sav\OpenWithProgids]
    "SPSS.DataDoc"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sav\UserChoice]
    "Progid"="Applications\\sfttray.exe"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.sav]
    @="SPSS.DataDoc"
    "Content Type"="application/softgrid-sav"
    "SoftGridSource"="rtsp://arapp1:554/"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.sav\OpenWithProgIDs]
    "SPSS.DataDoc"=hex(0):

Monday, March 12, 2012 11:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Which application are you attempting to start?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, March 12, 2012 12:03 PM
  • SPSS 18

Monday, March 12, 2012 1:09 PM
  • Hello,

The application "SPSS 18" doesn't seem to be referenced there at all for example here;

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sav\OpenWithList]
    "a"="sfttray.exe"

or here;

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.sav\UserChoice]
    "Progid"="Applications\\sfttray.exe"

Have did you determine that this was the the approriate registry keys? What does the app-v client log files say?

Monday, March 12, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Hello, I picked these keys from the registry of a pc where I had application refresh switched on. When I clicked on the file it opened correctly. I then exported the HKCU keys relating to the .save extension.  
    Monday, March 12, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Hello,

What does the App-V Client Logfile say?

Monday, March 12, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Hello, logfile is just showing more or less what the error shows:

[03/13/2012 09:10:12:122 AMGR ERR] {tid=3254:usr=cis****}
    The Application Virtualization Client cannot open \STORE04\HS116954\My Documents\test.sav

[03/13/2012 09:10:12:294 TRAY ERR] {tid=3254:usr=cis*****}
    The Application Virtualization Client could not launch the application you requested.

There are no applications that can be used to open this document.

Error code: 4615186-04B03401-00031013

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:13 AM
  • Hello,

When the problem occurs and you review the App-V Client Management Console - is the FTA registered?

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 6:27 PM
  • Hello, yes the FTA is registered. So what I am asking is can you setup a file association to an app-v application but also have the publishing refresh turned off?

We turn of publishing refresh because it slows login down and users have a madatory profile.

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 10:29 AM
  • Hello,

So, instead of investigating why you have a delay during login - you wish to omit the publishing refresh and invoke your own custom method?
    Sure - use the command-line interface;

http://technet.microsoft.com/sv-se/library/cc843828.aspx

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Thanks Znack, using that command did the trick.

Yes we have investigated the delay, we get around a 15 second delay and it looks to the user like nothing is happening then the desktop loads. Turing off publishing refresh removes this delay.  

Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:03 PM