none
Sequenced Landesk on Windows 2008 R2 - running very slowly

    Question

  • Hi,

    I have sequenced Landesk on a Windows Server 2003 VM using APPV Sequencer 4.6.0.20200 and installed the pre-requisites prior to sequencing my application. The pre-requisites are already installed on the target machines. I then enabled the OSD to run on Windows 7 and Windows 2003 Server and tested the application and it runs ok. However, it is now required on Windows Server 2008 R2. I initially thought it would be ok to just enable this OS in the OSD and run it without the need to resequence or upgrade. Unfortunately, when I then run the App-V'd version of Landesk on the 2008 Server it runs as administrator, however, when I log in as a standard user it runs extremely slowly. When running the same App-V'd package on 2003 server as a standard user it runs fine with no problems whatsoever and likewise on Windows 7.

    I thought it might have something to do with the fact that the package had been sequenced on a 2003 machine and I was running it on w 2008 R2 machine, so I re-sequenced the application on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine with the x64 client (4.6.0.20200). Once again it runs ok apart from when it is run on a Server 2008 R2 box as a standard user, where it runs very slowly.

    The pre-requisites for the application in question are

    CRRedist2008_x86.msi

    dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe

    microsoft wse 2.0 sp3 runtime.msi

    These are all installed to the C:\ drive and the Landesk package is sequenced to the Q:\ drive.

    Does anyone know why this would be happening? The issue only appears when running Landesk on a Server 2008 R2 machine as a standard user and running it in App-V. When testing the package on the machine that I sequenced it the application  runs perfectly well.

    I have run Procmon while running the application as a standard user and an admin user and I see nothing that stands out, no access denied messages of any importance, no long obvious delays in the log....

    Are there any restrictions in place around App-V and server 2008 R2 (x64) systems that may be causing this? Would it be anything to do with the fact that some of the sequence is going to the C:\ drive (i.e. pre-reqs) and some of it is going to the Q:\ drive? Anything to do with App-V and x64 machines?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated,

    Thanks

    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:36 PM

All replies

  • Which LANDesk application are you referring to? You have tested with the software installed instead of virtualized (I think that's what you're alluded to)?

    Have you tested by sequencing the application with 4.6 SP1 Hotfix 3 Sequencer? What version and patch level is the App-V client on the 2008 R2 box?

    App-V versions listed here: http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/app-v-faq-5-what-are-the-current-versions-of-app-v/



    Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

    This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.


    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:06 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi,

    I am tallking about Landesk Servicedesk. And yes, I have tested with the software installed and not virtualised and it works as expected, however, when virtualised it runs very slowly when run as locked down user.

    I am running 4.6 RTM All Languages according to that link you have sent. Therefore the sequencer and client versions are 4.6.0.20200. This is what's running on the x64 (2008 R2) machines.

    I have just checked and it looks like I am running a different version of the AppV Client on the x86 (2003) servers, it is version 4.6.0.1523 which is 4.6 RTM English. Also, the 2003 sequencer I have been using has the 4.6.0.20200 installed which is the 4.6 RTM All Languages version.

    I will try installing the earlier client on my x64 machine and see if it makes any difference. I think it may be time to upgrade the version of sequencer and client I use also. I see that the version 4.6 RTM All languages is up to Hotfix 7. Not to mention the 4.6 SP1 version!

    Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:58 PM
  • If the client doesn't fix the issue. I'd run a ProcMon when on as Admin and as a User and do a comparison. It might give you an indication as to where the app is making more failed calls that are causing the delay. If that's what it is.

    Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

    Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:11 PM