none
The operating system is not presently configured to run this application. -- Visio 2010 Standard --

Question

• Hello all,

On a XPSP3 machine with a Norwegian MUI I receive the following error message when starting Microsoft Visio 2010 Standard (as a App-V package):

Operativsystemet er ikke konfigurert for å kjøre dette programmet

Translated to English: "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application."

I have done the following:

1. Installed the AppV Toolkit:
      "%~dp0OffVirt.msi" ADDLOCAL=Click2runMapi,Click2runOWSSupp,Click2runWDS,OSpp,OSpp_Core PROJECTPRO=1 PROJECTSTD=1 SPD=1 VISIOPRO=1 VISIOSTD=1 /qb!
    2. Sequenced Visio 2010 Standard and ...
    3. ... added the language packs for French, German and Spanish.
    4. Tested the application with the above mentioned XP + MUI installations. Of course with the App-V Toolkit installed. No problems at all.

If I run the virtualized Visio 2010 Professional then it runs without problems on the Norwegian XPSP3 installation.

My question is: how do I run the virtualized Visio 2010 Standard (with English, French, German and Spanish MUI Packs installed) on a Norwegian XPSP3 machine?

Your help is appreciated.

With kind regards,
    Willem-Jan

Monday, May 21, 2012 1:18 PM

Answers

• Hello everybody,

It has been solved.

After sequencing I always make a backup of the initial sequence. Then I start to clean up the package. Now I used the backup, cleaned it up a little bit (not too much) and put it into production. That one did not have this issue.

So the conclusion is: the original package was cleaned up too much.

Now I would like to thank everybody for their help.

With kind regards,

Willem-Jan

Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm reading this wrong or not. But it sounds like you are saying the app runs ok without the Norweigan MUI but does not work with the MUI?

If you install the application locally i.e. Not a virtualized application but the regular install do you still get this issue? If so it's not an APP-V issue but rather an issue with Visio 2010 and that MUI pack. Perhaps your version of Visio is not compatible with this MUI?

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Monday, May 21, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Did you install Visio to the virtual drive letter (e.g. Q)? Have you launched the Office Language Preferences tool during the monitoring phase? (SETLAN.EXE)

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, May 21, 2012 7:39 PM
  • Hello Rorymon,

Thanks for your reply. I am about 95% sure that it is not an App-V issue. If I change the XP language from Norwegian to English, then there is no issue. So 'something' is causing the troubles. Now it is up to me what that 'something' is.

I have not tried a manual installation yet.

But the wierd thing is that the same sequencing technique works with Visio 2010 Professional but not with Visio 2010 Standard.

With kind regards,

Willem-Jan

Monday, May 21, 2012 7:57 PM
  • Hello Aaron,

Yes, I did the installation to the Q: drive. I have not started the Office Language Preferences tool during the monitoring phase. Is it possible to solve my issues with adding a shortcut to SETLAN.EXE?

With kind regards,

Willem-Jan

Monday, May 21, 2012 7:59 PM
  • Did you sequence the application on a machine with the Norwegian MUI? Maybe if you had launched the application during your sequencing process on a machine without the MUI installed, it tries to use the wrong MUI and fails?. Just a guess

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Hello,

You can not have two different editions of Visio on the same machine. It will always choose the highest available licensing - pro in your case.

Considering that you are installing Project and Visio - I would not lay down the integration components using the deployment kit. Not on the sequencer and not on the client.

Have you configured all Office components to always be installed - and not to be installed on first use?

There is an excellent whitepaper that describes sequencing best practices - following those always avoids these types of error messages;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc843994.aspx

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:43 PM
  • Did you sequence the application on a machine with the Norwegian MUI? Maybe if you had launched the application during your sequencing process on a machine without the MUI installed, it tries to use the wrong MUI and fails?. Just a guess

Hello Rorymon,

Short answer: no. Only English was installed.

With kind regards,

Willem-Jan

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:53 PM
  • Hello Nicke,

Tomorrow I will try to uninstall / remove the pro version. Then I will let you know what the results are.

With kind regards,

Willem-Jan

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:54 PM
  • I'd suggest you try and revert the machine to a clean state. So a machine that did not have this installed before, put down the Norwgian MUI and sequence again. Good luck.

Monday, May 21, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Hello Nicke,

Tomorrow I will try to uninstall / remove the pro version. Then I will let you know what the results are.

With kind regards,

Willem-Jan

Unfortunately this did not solve my issue. Now only Visio 2010 Standard (as App-V) is available on the machine. Still the same error message.
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Hello,

That was one of my suggestions - seems to be an excellent start to confirm that it was not part of the problem

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Hello Rorymon,

Wierd that this is not an issue with Visio 2010 Professional. Is it possible that it is a licensing issue?

With kind regards,

Willem-Jan

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm reading this wrong or not. But it sounds like you are saying the app runs ok without the Norweigan MUI but does not work with the MUI?

If you install the application locally i.e. Not a virtualized application but the regular install do you still get this issue? If so it's not an APP-V issue but rather an issue with Visio 2010 and that MUI pack. Perhaps your version of Visio is not compatible with this MUI?

Hello Rorymon,

I have reproduced the steps without App-V:

1. Installed a clean image of XPSP3 English. With Office 2010 English
    2. Installed Visio 2010 Standard
    3. Installed the following applications:
    • Office 2010 Norwegian MUI
    • XPSP3 Norwegian MUI Pack
    1. Reboot, logon, changed the XP language to Norwegian
    2. Reboot, logon
    3. Started Visio 2010 Standard
    4. No error messages or whatsoever

To be absolutely sure, I repeated the above mentioned steps, but now, without the Office 2010 Norwegian MUI:

1. Installed a clean image of XPSP3 English. With Office 2010 English
    2. Installed Visio 2010 Standard
    3. Installed the following applications:
    • XPSP3 Norwegian MUI Pack
    1. Reboot, logon, changed the XP language to Norwegian
    2. Reboot, logon
    3. Started Visio 2010 Standard
    4. And Visio 2010 Standard started again without issues.

So I am wondering what the issue is. Could it be a licensing issue? Something not configured well in the Application Virtualization Toolkit? Any help is appreciated.

With kind regards,

Willem-Jan

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:02 PM
  • I have to say I don't actually know. It's a bit of an extreme step but you could try doing a capture of both of the installs one with the MUI installed and one without and then do a differential e.g. if you capture them as MSI's. Do an MSI Diff and see what registry or files are different and possibly put these local on the machine which has the APP-V sequenced application.

Sorry I've only ever deployed the office products in English. I'm not sure, maybe there is a language code you can pass as a parameter but I can't find one online.

• Edited by RorymonMVP Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:05 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:04 PM
  • Hello Rorymon,

To be honest, I am thinking of the same, but a different approach.

I have the Visio 2010 Standard and Visio 2012 Pro. The only difference is the serial number. Both uses MAK activation. On the internet I found the 'SFT Parser Tool' and maybe I can use that one to compare both sft files. Or sort of msidiff for sft files. I hope...

Thanks for your help by the way...

With kind regards,

Willem-Jan

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:59 PM
  • Hello everybody,

It has been solved.

After sequencing I always make a backup of the initial sequence. Then I start to clean up the package. Now I used the backup, cleaned it up a little bit (not too much) and put it into production. That one did not have this issue.

So the conclusion is: the original package was cleaned up too much.

Now I would like to thank everybody for their help.

With kind regards,

Willem-Jan

Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:54 PM