none
how to sequence the System Center Service Manager (SCSM) console

Question

• I tried several times to sequence the console. I found a recipe for SCCM, but this is not usable for SCSM.

The console can be launched during the sequence and after that I can start the console again during the "launch applications"  screen. When I test the application on a different machine with the 4.6 client, nothing happens and App-v closes the package.

When I put the sequencer in a clean state and open the package, I can start the console.

I tried to sequence it on windows 7 UK X64 and Windows 2008 R2 UK with the App-V 4.6 version. 

The App-v client log; (informational logging)

[12/03/2010 13:53:32:795 OMGR INF] {tid=2514:usr=*******}
    The client updated the OSD file for 'Service Manager Console 7.0.5826.886' with a version from Fri, 03 Dec 2010 12:52:36 GMT.
    [12/03/2010 13:53:33:029 ???? INF] {tid=15DC:usr=********}
    An error occurred while opening the virtual registry (section: 9), rc: 07B01F0C-0000004A
    [12/03/2010 13:53:33:060 ???? INF] {tid=15DC}
    An error occurred while opening the virtual registry (section: 9), rc: 07B01F0C-0000004A

Someone made a topic about this, but there is no solution; http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/setup/thread/5f2594c6-5c11-41b9-aadd-8e97991b798f

Did someone succesfully sequenced the console?

Friday, December 03, 2010 1:05 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Check this reference;

http://www.tmurgent.com/OSD_Illustrated.aspx

See if you can't toggle TERMINATE CHILDREN to "the other one".

Why sequence on a x64 host? Isn't this a 32-bit application (again, reading the sequencing whitepaper states that 32-bit apps should be sequenced on 32-bit OS...).

Try to use Process Monitor to determine what resources are beeing accessed while attempting to start up.

Try to distribute prerequisites pre-sequencing and pre-deployment (such as .net framework, the reportviewer...) and therefore not beeing part of the package.

/Znack
    • Marked as answer by Wimlem Wednesday, December 08, 2010 7:28 AM
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 1:18 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I can't really see any error message relating to the execution of SCSM console?

/Znack
    Friday, December 03, 2010 1:21 PM
  • Should I paste the verbose output of the logging?
    Monday, December 06, 2010 9:19 AM
  • Hello,

I don't know yet, as the part that you posted doesn't really contain any reference to an attempt to actually start a Service Manager application...

Your post doesn't really contain how you went about sequencing it, what actual error message you received and how your client looks like....

/Znack
    Monday, December 06, 2010 8:04 PM
  • thanx till so far znack..

RDS host
    Installed Product: Microsoft Application Virtualization Client for Remote Desktop Services
    Version: 4.6.0.20200
    Install Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization Client
    Global Data Directory: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Application Virtualization Client\
    Operating System: Windows 2008 R2 Terminal Server 64-bit Service Pack 0.0 Build 7600

Sequencer
    Sequencer version: 4.6.0.20200
    Sequencer OS: windows 2008 R2 64 bit SP 0 Build 7600

Sequence method
    0. Adjusted the PREREQUISITEINPUTFILE.xml, not to check for reportviewer.
    1. Create a new package
    2. Enter package name and comments
    3. Begin Monitoring
    4. Made SCSM2010.V01 directory on q:\ drive and selected it for monitoring
    5. Installed ReportViewer 2008 SP1, to the default path. (cannot adjust this)
    6. Started the setup --> Install a service manager console.
    7. Location; Q:\SCSM2010.v01\Microsoft System Center. Checked “I do not want to use Microsoft Update.”
    8. Installed CU3.
    9. Stopped monitoring
    10. Launched the console (Went fine) and closed it.
    11. Under Deployment, changed the path to SCSM2010.v01 and set it to RTSP
    12. Selected none of the operation systems, so the package can be used on every system.
    13. Saved the package in the content folder on the network.
    14. Added the package in the management console. Added the domain users group.
    15. Unloaded and loaded tha apps on the App-v client. (sftmime.exe /remove obj:app /complete /global)
    16. Launched the app. It says "Launching Service Manager C...." Directly after that is says "Service Manager Console 7... Shut down". No error messages appear....

Please let me know if you need more information.

Willem

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 1:09 PM
  • Hello,

Check this reference;

http://www.tmurgent.com/OSD_Illustrated.aspx

See if you can't toggle TERMINATE CHILDREN to "the other one".

Why sequence on a x64 host? Isn't this a 32-bit application (again, reading the sequencing whitepaper states that 32-bit apps should be sequenced on 32-bit OS...).

Try to use Process Monitor to determine what resources are beeing accessed while attempting to start up.

Try to distribute prerequisites pre-sequencing and pre-deployment (such as .net framework, the reportviewer...) and therefore not beeing part of the package.

/Znack
    • Marked as answer by Wimlem Wednesday, December 08, 2010 7:28 AM
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 1:18 PM
  • Znack,

the console is also available for x64, so that isn't the problem. I tried the Process Monitor and saw .Net messages in it.

I checked the prerequisites and saw that .Net 3.5 was installed on the sequencer, and not on the RDS host. :(. I installed it and it was working right away.

Thank you for your time! It works great now.

Willem

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 7:28 AM