none
App-V client error "The Application Virtualization Client was unable to initialize the user's profile for a system session"

Question

• Starting seeing the following App-V client error earlier this week out of the blue. Symptom is user not getting any App-V applications in their Start Menu. The following errors show up the the App-V client log:

[01/20/2012 09:32:25:313 SRVC WRN] {tid=2F74:usr=test1}

The Application Virtualization Client was unable to initialize the user's profile for a system session (rc 0FD00D14-00000005).

[01/20/2012 09:34:30:157 SRVC WRN] {tid=301C:usr=test1}
    The Application Virtualization Client was unable to initialize the user's profile for a system session (rc 10601903-00007003).

Our environment is 2008 R2 RDS with latest App-V 4.6 SP1 hotfix package 4 installed. App-V user data directory is being redirected to %homedrive%%homepath% which in our environment translates to H:\SoftGrid Client. I checked NTFS permissions to the users home drive location and it is set to everyone full control. We are also redirecting AppData to a network UNC path via a GPO policy. The issue does not happen for every user on the RDS server and when looking through the App-V client log. The behavior seems very random and can affect a particular user upon one logon but not the next.

Friday, January 20, 2012 3:30 PM

Answers

• FYI... The App-V client uses variables differently in Win7 and Vista.  Instead of using %homeshare%, you will need to use ^%homeshare^%.  Refer to this technet article.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee956914.aspx

We were having similar issues with our App-V setup, until an MS tech directed me to that article after we spent over two months trying to fix the issue.  Basically, any variable used in your paths will need to be formatted the same way.

You will also need to change the following registry entry:

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\UserInfo]

"DataDirectory"="C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\SoftGrid Client"

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 3:28 PM

All replies

• What happens if you use %HOMESHARE% instead? With the user data directory in the default location (i.e. local disk) the local system account will have access to the folder. It could be that the local system can't see the directory.

If you're redirecting AppData anyway, why move the App-V User Data Directory to another location?

Also see this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvclients/thread/3eef3c6b-f72d-4e91-ab36-490a76b9aad4/

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, January 20, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Aaron,

We were using the default user data directory of %APPDATA% but what we found is that it did not respect the folder redirection that we had set at the GPO level.

Ex. we are redirecting AppData via GPo to:

\\server\cpm_profiles$\general\test1\AppData

However the App-V client would not seem to use this redirection and would instead write user data to:

C:\Users\test1\AppData\Roaming\SoftGrid Client

One additional variable is that a particular user can logon to multiple environments and thus be pointing to different branch App-V servers. Their roaming profile (Citrix profile management) moves with them thus the users HKCU hive moves with them.

I did notice that some of the users icon paths (HKEY_USERS\"CurrentUser"\Software\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\Applications) were pointing to an alternate branch App-V server so I tried hard-coding the "OSDSourceRoot" and "IconSourceRoot" values under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\Configuration. However this did not seem to resolve the issue and the same errors were showing up in the App-V client logs and no apps for certain users.

Friday, January 20, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Additionally we are seeing strange behavior with multiple nested SoftGrid Client directories being created under the users home directory.

Thus a users home drive looks like:

\\server\UUSERS\test1\SoftGrid Client\SoftGrid Client\SoftGrid Client\SoftGrid Client\SoftGrid Client\SoftGrid Client\SoftGrid Client

NTFS and share permissions are wide open to this location with Everyone and System both having FC.

Friday, January 20, 2012 4:23 PM
  • Hello,

I am really confused by your description of your current state - any chance you can detail how it actually looks?
    Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack
    Friday, January 20, 2012 4:26 PM
  • znack,

I am trying to figure out why sometimes the App-V client does not successfully refresh from the server and properly display application shortcuts like it should. The overall summary is just an unreliable App-V client experience across multiple sites for the user. Sometimes the user gets their App-V shortcuts and sometimes they don't.

Is it not a supportable configuration to have a user (with a roaming profile) be able to logon to multiple regional locations and then have the user always use the local App-V server local icon paths? We use DFS replication to keep users profile and home directory locations in synch across regional sites. When inspecting the users HKCU SoftGrid keys I see icon paths "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\Applications\Google Chrome" that point to the other regional App-V server instead of the local one I would prefer. This leads to either very slow app enumeration across the wire (slow Start Menu icon building) or a failure all together and no application icons showing up.

Also confused as to why we would see multiple \SoftGrid Client folders nested inside of each other out on the users home drive. Some other threads have suggested an invalid variable being used for the App-V user data directory location. One current thought is to remove AppData folder redirection from our GPO and restore the App-V user data directory to its default location of %APPDATA%.

I have had many mixed experiences with AppData folder redirection and the App-V client in the past.

I am not sure what other details of our environment are missing from the above posts but I tried to make the issue as clear as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

• Edited by Brad Guss Friday, January 20, 2012 10:22 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 10:21 PM
  • Hello,

Whats the installation parameters? How are the clients configured? How are you setting up your servers? What are the profile management settings? I hear that you are frustrated, but your frustration doesn't clarify your current state at all.
    Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:21 AM
  • FYI... The App-V client uses variables differently in Win7 and Vista.  Instead of using %homeshare%, you will need to use ^%homeshare^%.  Refer to this technet article.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee956914.aspx

We were having similar issues with our App-V setup, until an MS tech directed me to that article after we spent over two months trying to fix the issue.  Basically, any variable used in your paths will need to be formatted the same way.

You will also need to change the following registry entry:

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\UserInfo]

"DataDirectory"="C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\SoftGrid Client"

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 3:28 PM