none
how to remove an application icon from system tray

Question

•  

Hi,

I have sequenced one application and it is working properly in client pc. But i am facing a problem, When i close the application the icon still remains before the windows system clock. Kindly help me by telling how to remove the same.

Regards,

S.Yuvaraj

Thursday, October 09, 2008 11:09 AM

Answers

• I'm sorry but I believe there's nothing you could do about it, besides closing it manually as you descibed.

It's something of application's own behaviour and nothing App-V can have any control over. It surely happens also when you install that same application locally (without virtualization), right?

br,

Kalle

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:24 AM

All replies

• Some apps may typically minimize to the system tray when pressing the close X button. Could it be one of thoses? What does is the behavoir when locally installed?

If this is not the case, try opening the OSD for this app and change the TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE"  to true.  This will kill the child processes tied to that application upon exit. (You may need to remove and re-apply the application for the new change to take affect).

If it is set to True, then what application is it?  

Thursday, October 09, 2008 10:44 PM
  • Hi,

The Application name is supportpoint viewer. Even after making the change mentioned by you in osd file and rebuilding the application the software icon is not removed from the system tray.kindly advice how to go further.

Thanks & Regards,

S.Yuvaraj.

Friday, October 10, 2008 7:49 AM
  • Install the application like locally onto the sequencer workstaion and review its typical behavior with loading systray icons. Right click it and see if there is a preferences or options to "not put a systray icon" somehwere.

Some apps do this by default. Like SnagIt, I hit the X and it sits in the tray. For it, it needs a right click and exit. No idea what SupportPoint does.

If there is a option or preference, try re-sequencing and during the configuration stage, turn off the systray option.

Friday, October 10, 2008 1:29 PM
  •  

When I install the vendor msi(support point viewer) , the behaviour of msi is that when i click on the application icon in program file it opens the application as well as create an icon in system tray but when i close the application the icon from system tray is not closing. I need to manually right click the icon and select the option remove from tray. Kindly advice how to remove the application from system tray using sequencer.

Thanks & Regards,

S.Yuvaraj.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 7:21 AM
  • I'm sorry but I believe there's nothing you could do about it, besides closing it manually as you descibed.

It's something of application's own behaviour and nothing App-V can have any control over. It surely happens also when you install that same application locally (without virtualization), right?

br,

Kalle

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:24 AM
  • Thank you.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:21 AM
  • Hi,

as mentioned above, changing the TERMINATECHILDREN Tag might help - but (at least in the past) the client interpreted OSD Files case sensitive, so the right speeling would be "TRUE" instead of "true".

What to do is open the OSD file on the content share using Notepad (or other XML/OSD editors), change the value and save.

Then, on the client make sure to perform a Publishing Server refresh (maybe log off and on again) to force the client to load the new version of the OSD.

Then, check again if that helped.

Friday, October 17, 2008 5:35 PM
  •  kirk_tn wrote:

as mentioned above, changing the TERMINATECHILDREN Tag might help - but (at least in the past) the client interpreted OSD Files case sensitive, so the right speeling would be "TRUE" instead of "true".

It is still case sensitive, as XML parsing is always case sensitive process (or rather parsers are).

/Kalle

Friday, October 17, 2008 7:15 PM