none
IE Apps crash in App-V on Citrix

Question

• We have 2 applications (Qbyte and BPC) that have IE front ends. We have virtualized these applications successfully with 4.6SP1 and they are both running in production on Windows 7 X86 and x64 with no issues. They both used to work in Citrix XenApp 6 running on Server 2008 R2. However, they are now crashing in Citrix. The crash is an actual application crash of IE and not any kind of client crash.

I have tried disabling DEP, systematically uninstalling Citrix hotfixes that were applied in between the application working and not working, moving the box into an OU with no GPOs applied, enabling Local Interaction. I have tried sequencing on XP 32-bit, Win7 32-bit, Win7 64-bit and even built a Server 2008 R2 sequencer and sequenced on that. To date, nothing has resolved the crashing. Both applications work when installed locally - they only crash when running in App-V.

The crash details:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: IEXPLORE.EXE
    Application Version: 8.0.7601.17514
    Application Timestamp: 4ce79912
    Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7ba58
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0006696e
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.16.7
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: a7aa
    Additional Information 2: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d
    Additional Information 3: a7aa
    Additional Information 4: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d

Other IE applications work fine in App-V with no crashing.

The JVM is not generating an hs_err.log file or any other crash dump that I can detect. The last thing is that if I open the application, allow it to crash, but keep the crash window open, I can launch a second instance of the application and it does not crash.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Darren.
    Friday, September 09, 2011 2:50 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, this app has to be launched during sequencing because it connects to an Oracle application server and pulls down the necessary jar files from the server at logon. It works perfectly outside of Citrix, but there's something about the Citrix/App-V combination that is causing the issue.

Microsoft support suggested to re-sequence the application and exclude the following registry key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\User Preferences

because they noticed this key was being accessed and causing the failure. Once I resequenced the application with this exclusion, everything started working.

• Marked as answer by Darren L Lloyd Friday, November 04, 2011 12:50 PM
    Friday, November 04, 2011 12:50 PM

All replies

• Do the applications work on XenApp outside of App-V?

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Friday, September 09, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Yes they do if I install locally and ensure the required Java prerequisites are installed locally as well. That's the tricky part - I was working with the vendor on one of the app crash issues and basically I can't get support from them because it works just fine locally, it's only when running in App-V that it crashes. However, it works on Win7 X64 in App-V and also *used* to work in our XenApp environment in App-V but something changed and it's now crashing.
    Friday, September 09, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Hello,

You mentioned that it stopped working at one point - what changed before that?
    /Znack
    Friday, September 09, 2011 11:11 PM
  • We applied some Citrix hotfixes and MS updates, and some Group Policies, but we have tested removing those and it still crashes. I might try to build a brand-new Citrix server, add it to the farm with no hotfixes, updates or GPOs and see if it works. Thanks.
    Friday, September 09, 2011 11:18 PM
  • If you continue to see the problem, I would suggest you open up a support case with Microsoft regarding this issue.
    Steve Thomas, SSEE, Microsoft
    App-V/MED-V/SCVMM/SCCM/AppCompat
    http://madvirtualizer.wordpress.com/
    The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
    The MED-V Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv
    The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/

“This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all risks.”
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 3:07 PM
  • Hi there!

Did you ever find a solution to this problem. I have tried starting the sequencing in App-V 4.6 and just creating a shortcut to Internet Explorer. Then I completed the sequencing and tested the package and it crashes with ntdll.dll error. So no plugins/addons whatsoever just a link to the local 32-bit internet explorer.

We found this issue in some packages with Java runtime and Adobe Reader when we migrated them to Windows 2008 R2 / XenApp 6. And we thought it was related to a incompatible IE addon but it seems that it's not the case since a "empty" package with just a link to the web browser also crashes.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:36 AM
  • When you sequenced Internet Explorer - did you launch it during monitoring? This is not recommended. Simply start and stop monitoring and create a shortcut to the local IE during the shortcut phase.

Steve Thomas, SSEE, Microsoft
    App-V/MED-V/SCVMM/SCCM/AppCompat
    http://madvirtualizer.wordpress.com/
    The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
    The MED-V Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv
    The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/

“This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all risks.”
    Friday, November 04, 2011 2:11 AM
  • Hi Darren

Do the apps work outside of Citrix (i.e. pureley delivered by app-v)? You could publish your self a desktop in Citrix and then launch the app-v app direct from the cmd line. If the app launches and works outside of the citrix publication it would give you an indication of whether app-v is causing the issue or if it's something Citrix related.

Least you know what to blame then! :)

Phil

Friday, November 04, 2011 7:48 AM
  • Unfortunately, this app has to be launched during sequencing because it connects to an Oracle application server and pulls down the necessary jar files from the server at logon. It works perfectly outside of Citrix, but there's something about the Citrix/App-V combination that is causing the issue.

Microsoft support suggested to re-sequence the application and exclude the following registry key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\User Preferences

because they noticed this key was being accessed and causing the failure. Once I resequenced the application with this exclusion, everything started working.

• Marked as answer by Darren L Lloyd Friday, November 04, 2011 12:50 PM
    Friday, November 04, 2011 12:50 PM
  • Steve "If you continue to see the problem, I would suggest you open up a support case with Microsoft regarding this issue."

Thats's funny....

MS clearly states with a KB entry that they do not support mutliply Internet Explorer Version on the same machine (Server in your case) in virtualized form. That's means if you ever get caught in a real problem with TS+Roaming profiles+Multi Language Enviroment you are stuck with MS. Stuck for me means if everything fails you can't open a ticket with MS Support. Now that's nothing new to people who run Citrix and TS because they run into problems daily so it's "Normal" busines for them....

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:43 PM
  • Hello,

They are probably talking about different shortcuts - and not different versions installed of IE.

Opening IE within a virtualized environment is still supported from an App-V perspective - however, providing a virtualized instance with a different version than what the platform has (which is what your statement refers to) is not supported.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:59 PM
  • Hi Darren,

Did you ever resolve this issue?

I don't have a citrix environment like you but I do have 15 terminal servers running windows 2008 r2 that are running app v client 4.6 SP2 and when an app v application runs iexplore.exe, internet explorer then crashes.

One thing does work and I wondered if you had heard of it. I noticed that the HKEY_Local_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Softgrid\4.5\SystemGuard\SecKey had no permissions set. So I set the System, and Administrators to full control, and Users to read control (same as the key directly above in the tree) and IE stopped crashing. However, I have a new problem with this, in that after rebooting the terminal servers the keys are wiped of their permissions and I have to manually set them again. So I was wondering if you managed to fix your issue of IE crashing and how?

Thanks

Simon

Monday, April 22, 2013 8:49 AM
  • Did you ever get a response / did you figure this out ?

I have exact your problem too.

Friday, September 12, 2014 1:42 PM