none
Excel 2003 add-in

Question

• Hi Guys

At work we use xendesktop 4 with Excel 2003 on the virtual base-build.

I have an issue with excel add-ins that remain on the base build excel toolbar;once an app-v streamed excel add-in is closed.

Whats the best practice of getting rid if it once the streamed app is closed? I want to use excel without  any missing plug in errors

Addins operate  fine when the appV bubble is open. Once the app is closed, excel plugin remains.

whats the best practice for removing the addin so excel can be opened without any error messages like unable to locate the xla?

Cheers

Sandylaner

Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:00 PM

Answers

• The default location for Excel addins is %AppData%\Microsoft\Excel plus these are enabled in the registry at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\Options - you will see values like OPEN, OPEN1, OPEN2 etc that list the path to the addin.

If the add-in adds buttons to the toolbar, the file Excel11.xlb (for Excel 2003, these are version specific) is also updated in %AppData%\Microsoft\Excel.

So I presume what is happening is that when the add-in is executed it's updating the files and registry in non-virtualised locations, these when Excel is closed, it still assumes that the add-in is enabled.

To prevent that from happening, override the folder and registry key listed above inside the add-in package so that the real locations aren't updated when Excel runs.

Friday, November 26, 2010 10:18 AM

All replies

• The default location for Excel addins is %AppData%\Microsoft\Excel plus these are enabled in the registry at HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\Options - you will see values like OPEN, OPEN1, OPEN2 etc that list the path to the addin.

If the add-in adds buttons to the toolbar, the file Excel11.xlb (for Excel 2003, these are version specific) is also updated in %AppData%\Microsoft\Excel.

So I presume what is happening is that when the add-in is executed it's updating the files and registry in non-virtualised locations, these when Excel is closed, it still assumes that the add-in is enabled.

To prevent that from happening, override the folder and registry key listed above inside the add-in package so that the real locations aren't updated when Excel runs.

Friday, November 26, 2010 10:18 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Aaron your comments above indeed describe my issue.

I've located the OPEN with value [path to the addin] in the VFS tab on the sequencer and %AppData%\Microsoft\Excel.Excel11.xlb  file is captured.

When you say override I'm unsure what you mean. Do you mean open the package for monitoring and make changes?

Many thanks

Sany laner.

Friday, November 26, 2010 4:54 PM
  • I don't have the Sequencer in from of me but you'll want to Override the Registry key and folder path
    Friday, November 26, 2010 5:23 PM
  • Thanks Aaron,

I can see in the sequencer VFS, the options key is set to override and on the xendesktop i can see the local registry doesn't update with any new reg keys. So everything seems in order.

We are  using appsense to capture user exel personalisation. I reckon the registry and folder settings for excel are being redirected and captured into an appsense folder.

Thus I think i will have to ask our appsense administrator to not capture the OPTIONS. OPEN addin values as this may be the fix. It may work I'm unsure without testing.

Cheers

Sandylaner

Friday, November 26, 2010 8:14 PM
  • Yep.... As I thought..Appsense was the cause. It was capturing excel personalisation settings and was retaining the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\Options values.

Many thanks for you assistance.

Sandylaner
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:25 PM