none
The operating system is not presently configured to run this application

Question

• I am running 2008 Server and I was able to successfully sequence and create a package for office 2010. My client machine (2008 Server running terminal services) is able to retrieve the icons for office, but when i try to launch any one of the office apps i get the following error "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application"
    Monday, January 24, 2011 9:45 PM

Answers

• What does your sequencing machine look like? Perhaps there are some components already on the machine before sequencing, so the installer does not put these down during sequencing. If these components don't exist on the client computer then the application may be generating the issue at runtime.
    This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:12 AM

All replies

• If you sequenced Office on a desktop OS (e.g. Windows XP), you may need to re-sequence the package on Windows Server 2008 with Terminal Services enabled.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 11:20 PM
  • Office was sequenced on Windows Server 2008 and Client is Server 2008, same version. Only difference is sequence server does not have TS enabled. Could that be an issue?
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Most likely, the Office setup knows when it's being run on a Terminal Server and the sequencing guide from Microsoft recommends sequencing on a machine with TS/RDS enabled.
    This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:09 PM
  • This did not resolve the issue. I have gone through MS recipe for sequencing once again but end result is exactly the same.
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:11 PM
  • Hi,

This is going to sound pretty obvious I think, but did you add the OS tag for that platform during your sequence? Or you could try by removing all of the OS tags. That's all I've got, This could help if it's a APP-V error rather than an application error.

Good luck

Friday, January 28, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I am running App-V 4.6 on the Client Machine and coming up with the same error when executing Word Viewer as a test.

The Operating System is not presently configured for this Application.

The APP-V error is as follows: An Error Occured while Opening the Virtual Registry (Section: 9), rc: 07B01F0C-0000004A

To troubleshoot I resequenced the Application but to no avail same error. As a test I also sequenced Acrobat Version 7 which worked. Now from reading from blog as shown below it seems that there are some missing shared files that must be located within the client machine.

I checked this against my application log file under the event viewer and showed a number warnings indicating that specific DLL files i.e. MSO.DLL for my case (Word Viewer 2003) does not exist.

http://social.technet.micros.oft.com/Forums/en/appvserverandmanagement/thread/8682f819-caf8-4c31-b9c8-5dab0f7a10a9

I am not sure if this will help you out in getting closer to troubleshooting your problem. I will do some manual addition of the Shared folder i.e. OFFICE11 under the shared folder and modify some registries under the Client to see If I can get it working.

Good-Luck

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:01 AM
  • What does your sequencing machine look like? Perhaps there are some components already on the machine before sequencing, so the installer does not put these down during sequencing. If these components don't exist on the client computer then the application may be generating the issue at runtime.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:12 AM
  • Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your reply. I've gone and taken your idea to and checked my Sequencer Machine (Running Win7) to make sure that the specific shared files are not already in place. Really quickly all my other VMs under my Hyper-V Environment are all Win7.

From initial observations I have no components that had been added initially during the Vanilla install of Win7 (Sequencer)

I tried to re-sequence the Word Viewer again but unfortunately same error still looking for MSO.DLL. Since the APP-V Configuration I have in Place is only for POC I have disbanded manually adding files as it proved more complicated. I will recreate a new sub system purely for testing APP-V with Office Products as all other Third Party Products seems to be working fine.

I will add more details as I go so hopefully it may help others having the same issues.

Thanks again Aaron.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 12:00 AM