none
A connection to the deployment share could not be made. Connection OK. Possible cause: invalid credentials.... but NIC is working and credentials are correct?

السؤال

• Hi all,

There are several accounts of this issue but none of the resolutions apply to my situation.  The closest issue I can find is this one:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/mdt/thread/d88b5994-227d-4fef-b1a2-502164fb0a70

Unfortunately the solution was to rebuild the MDT server on 2008 R2 instead of 2003.

My setup:

MDT Server:  VMware virtual 2003 member server

Deployment workstation: VMware virtual Windows 7 workstation.  (1gb ram. 20gb hdd scsi. e1000 NIC.)

I have setup a basic MDT with a single OS and task sequence.  No applications and only 1 set of NIC drivers for the intel pro 1000.

When attempting to build a new Windows 7 machine using the LitetouchPE_x86.iso the wizard throws the error listed above with the three options of "Abort, Retry, Ignore"

At this point I can press f8 and successfully test the networking of the machine I am building.  I have verified I am using the same credentials and UNC path as found in x:\deploy\scripts\bootstrap.ini

I map a drive (which I later use to copy log files) to the deployment share on my MDT server with no issues.

I click retry and get the same error as previously.

I check my log files and find the following in my BDD.log

ZTINicConfig processing completed successfully.    ZTINicConfig    1/07/2011 11:22:33 AM    0 (0x0000)
    Validating connection to \\10.173.60.34\DeploymentShare$    LiteTouch    1/07/2011 11:22:33 AM    0 (0x0000)
    No networking adapters found, The network drivers for your device are not present    LiteTouch    1/07/2011 11:22:33 AM    0 (0x0000)
    Unable to connect to \\10.173.60.34\DeploymentShare$.
    Connection OK. Possible cause: invalid credentials.    LiteTouch    1/07/2011 11:22:33 AM    0 (0x0000)

This is confusing as I am able to run ipconfig, net use and ping to verify the NIC is working at the same time as the litetouch wizard fails.

I am using a virtual host on VMWare.  The NIC on the Windows 7 host is the e1000 which is supported under WinPE 3.0 without additional drivers.  I have loaded all the drivers for this nic anyway to see if that makes any impact on the issue but it does not.

I have specified the deployment share using IP address instead of server name and this makes no difference to my results.

I have verified that the system time on the workstation is the same as that on the server, even though using the IP address to reference the deployment share should get around this issue by sidestepping kerberos.

I am including my credentials in the bootstrap.ini, there is no possibility that I am using the wrong account or password, I have tested this account multiple times in various ways.

Please don't ask me to check my credentials, share permissions, ntfs permissions, connectivity to the MDT server or the deploymentshare$.  As stated I can verify all these items from the command prompt on the workstation when the wizard crashes by pressing F8, and all are working correctly.

I have the account I am using a local admin on the MDT server and given it explicit access to the deploymentshare at both the share and NTFS level.

I have not found any errors in other log files in the MININT directory.  Below are the relevant log and ini files.  Please let me know if there is more information I could provide.

I really dont want to fix this by rebuilding the MDT server to 2008 R2 the way Hawkeye822 did, but I don't know what else to try at this stage.

Kind Regards,

Dougan

For reference:

All of the OSDLOGS can be found here

http://www.mediafire.com/?ju7o5sjapx57ywx

customsettings.ini

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]

OSInstall=YES

SkipAdminPassword=YES

SkipApplications=YES

SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES

SkipBDDWelcome=YES

SkipBitLocker=YES

SkipCapture=YES

SkipComputerName=YES

SkipComputerBackup=YES

SkipDeploymentType=NO
    DeploymentType=NEWCOMPUTER

SkipDomainMembership=YES

SkipFinalSummary=NO

SkipLocaleSelection=NO
    KeyboardLocale=en-US
    UserLocale=en-US
    UILanguage=en-US

SkipPackageDisplay=YES

SkipProductKey=YES

SkipSummary=NO

SkipTaskSequence=YES
    TaskSequenceID=001

SkipTimeZone=NO
    TimeZoneName=A.U.S. Eastern Standard Time

SkipUserData=Yes

bootstrap.ini

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    DeployRoot=\\10.173.60.34\DeploymentShare$

SkipBDDWelcome=YES

UserID=mdtuser (this is a domain account, a member of the local admins group on the MDT server and has full NTFS and share permissions to the deploymentshare$)
    UserDomain=DOMAIN
    UserPassword=mdtuserpassword

29/رجب/1432 04:29 ص

الإجابات

• Check the wpeinit.log for network init. issues...

Here is a list of things you can do to make deployment with MDT easier.
    - If you are using static ip addresses stop doing that, it's just a pain
    - If you are using DHCP, verify that portfast is enabled on the switches
    - Make sure you have working dns environment and stop using ip addresses in your rules files

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch
    • تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة dougan mcmurray 05/شعبان/1432 07:23 ص
    03/شعبان/1432 07:16 ص

جميع الردود

• Check the wpeinit.log for network init. issues...

Here is a list of things you can do to make deployment with MDT easier.
    - If you are using static ip addresses stop doing that, it's just a pain
    - If you are using DHCP, verify that portfast is enabled on the switches
    - Make sure you have working dns environment and stop using ip addresses in your rules files

/ Johan

Regards / Johan Arwidmark Twitter: @jarwidmark Blog: http://www.deploymentresearch.com FB: www.facebook.com/deploymentresearch
    • تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة dougan mcmurray 05/شعبان/1432 07:23 ص
    03/شعبان/1432 07:16 ص
  • Thanks Johan,

I cracked and rebuilt the server as 2008R2 already, so I can't really follow up on this. 

As expected things worked normally when I installed MDT on Windows 2008 R2, however, thanks for the recommendations for making my MDT deployment easier!

• Environmental restraints prevent me from using DHCP in my virtual lab environment, however, I plan to stop doing that just as soon as I get some real hardware and a proper subnet to work with (and next time I might put my foot down at the planning stage if this is proposed)
    • I will ensure portfast is enabled. (never would have thought of this one thank you!)
    • Unlike my DHCP my DNS is working.  I was trying things with IP addresses as a troubleshooting step, and there is no need for that now.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this

Kind Regards,

Dougan

05/شعبان/1432 07:29 ص