none
Is it possible to change the file server location/type?

Question

• I'm configuring up our environment, but I have a need to change the location of our file servers (we're moving them from Windows to a NAS) but once you've configured this once through the web UI there doesn't seem to be a way to change them after that.  Is it possible with PowerShell or something?

Cheers

Stu

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Stu,

I am not sure I undestood the question. Do you mean that you want to change the file server role after being configured through the Admin Portal durign the install?

Thank you

Mourad

MouradL

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:28 PM
  • That is correct.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:55 AM
  • Hi Stu

I did not test this but it looks like you may be able to do so by adding a new FileServer and removing the old one usign the PS commands:

New-FileServer [-FileServerName] <String> [-ConnectionString <String>] [-SkipValidation [<SwitchParameter>]]
    [<CommonParameters>]

Remove-FileServer [-FileServerName] <String> [-ConnectionString <String>] [<CommonParameters>]

These commands are from the PsSnapin "WebHostingSnapin"

It would be a good idea if you backup the hosting DB before you proceed.

Please let us know if this works.

HTH

MouradL

MouradL

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:45 PM
  • Interesting.  It looks like the new-fileserver cmdlet is only for adding a Windows file server, and I can't spot an equivalent command for adding a NAS.  Does that sound correct?
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 9:51 PM
  • It looks like it's possible using "set-hostingconfiguration -contentshare <sharename> -fileservertype external".  Thanks for the pointer to those cmdlets Mourad, it would be helpful if you could feedback to the product team that having documentation about how some of this hangs together would be extremely helpful, rather than having to just figure it out by poking around it ourselves.
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:42 PM