16. července 2008 15:59The customer noticed that in a collection they created there are duplicate records showing up with one showing the client installed and the other showing not installed.So, you'd have a record that looks like this:
Name SITE-CODE Client Approved Assigned LT-Mydell DFW Yes Approved Yes LT-Mydell DFW No N/A YesThey had manual duplicate record handling turned on, but had noticed the behavior prior to switching from automatic duplicate handling to manual. Apparently, the record showing the client being installed is also being deleted automatically. I've checked the settings for Heartbeat vs. Clear Install Flag, and that's not the issue. Also had them turn duplicates handling back to automatic.I've never seen where there would be two records of the same machine where one shows the client installed and the other not. I've checked the other site maintenance settings and noe of them would apply yet since they're all set for 30 days and beyond, and the site's only been up 2 -3 weeks.The only thing I can think of doesn't really make sense. The machines that are being installed are previous SMS 2003 clients, so they should be upgrading without issue. What's bothering me the most is the fact the records are showing up as both being assigned to the correct site. That and the fact that the record displaying Yes for client is being deleted instead of the one for No.Additonal info: The client is running AD discovery every day; site boundaries are by IP ranges (including those for the secondary sites); Heartbeat is every 4 hours ( this may be the issue, but I'm not sure what happens if the heartbeat comes in before the AD discovery, or the client has time to install on the machine and report back).Sorry for the long post, but I've not encountered this behavior before and am at a loss to explain it because everything seems to be OK as far as site settings go.UPDATE: I just heard from the client that their: DNS wasn't set to scavenge records; One DC DNS server wasn't allowing updates; and it was set to forward requests on to WINS. So, they reset all of that and removed WINS, so hopefully that will "fix" the duplicate issue (which isn't causing a problem, just confusion).