none
Validation errors and getting the site disability accessibile

Dotaz

• I'm using the official validator from the World Wide Web Consortium, http://validator.w3.org/

And I'm seeing a lot of validation errors. What can be done to make my sharepoint publishing site a little more accessibility friendly?

Thanks

• Přesunutý Mike Walsh FIN 4. prosince 2009 7:27 This is the first genuine accessibility post for a long time. Pity it went to the wrong forum. (From:SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation)
    3. prosince 2009 20:36

Odpovědi

• Well first off it's important to distinguish between valid (X)HTML and Accessibility.

HTML Validity

If you are talking about valid (X)HTML then you will need to identify the failing components.
    Use of a component such as TidyATL's HTML Tidy can help to clean up the output from various SharePoint controls "on render" although you'd probably need to write an HttpModule to implement it.

You are better off rebuilding your Master Page from scratch, using correct techniques and changing the DocType to a more modern standard such as XHTML 1.0 standard (standard MOSS 2007 pages use the older HTML 4.0.1 standard).

Strip out (or hide) all of the SharePoint controls and make sure that your raw "empty" Master Page and Page Layouts are valid.
    Then you should add back in the SharePoint controls one by one, and validate those.
    If any of them produce invalid HTML then you can either replace the control with one of your own or use ASP.Net Control Adapters to modify the rendering.

Accessibility

The W3C Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) has several proposed guidelines, the most recent of which is the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0.

This outlines a whole range of suggested criteria and methods for making your site more accessible, both in terms of cross browers usability as well as accessibility for access technologies (such as Screen Readers, used by many blind people on the web).

There are a whole bunch of different toolkits out there that you can use to help you to develop an "accessible" system, the most well known being the Accessibility Kit for SharePoint (AKS) developed by HiSoftware, and an unnoficial version called the Unofficial AKS (uAKS) which is on CodePlex.

There is also a framework which contains reusable components for much of the required functions called the SharePoint Accessibility Solution (SAS) developed by Content and Code (whom I work for, by the way).

Hopefully this gives you some information to get you started.
    Good luck!

regards
    Martin Hatch
    MCPD .Net Web Development
    MCTS WSS 3.0 | MOSS 2007
    Visit my Blog - www.martinhatch.com
    8. prosince 2009 12:42