none
Best Strategy for Managing Laptops in a Mixed InTune / SCCM 2012 World

Frage

• We're interested in leveraging Intune to help secure and update our roaming laptop users. We have a group of domain-joined laptops that spend a good deal of time off the company network. We thought we could use Intune to make sure these machines stay updated and safe while off the network. I understand that we should make sure the SCCM 2012 client does not get installed on any machine that has the Intune client. Will connecting and logging into our domain cause any issues for these clients that anyone can see?

Orange County District Attorney

Dienstag, 24. Juni 2014 14:31

Antworten

• Using Intune for managing those devices is perfect.  You won't need the CM license as that would only be for MDM.  As long as your device doesn't have the CM client (the intune client won't install if that client is installed) you'll have no issues managing it via the Windows Intune Admin Console, logging into the domain is of no consequence.

However if you have  script that runs to install the CM client, etc, you may want to put these machines into a seperate OU that doens't receive it.

Thanks,

Jon L. - MSFT - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.

• Als Antwort markiert Sandy Wood Dienstag, 24. Juni 2014 20:19
    Dienstag, 24. Juni 2014 20:05

Alle Antworten

• No not from a technical perspective. Splitting the management of devices between two different systems is the biggest issue I see. Is there a reason you don't use IBCM or DirectAccess?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Dienstag, 24. Juni 2014 15:56
  • I'm glad that it should work in our instance. Our office just bought some Office 365 licenses as well as Intune. We thought Intune could solve our issue of roaming laptops. We just recently came into some laptops that would be our first, out-of-the-office work systems that we want to manage. The Microsoft folks are assuring us this is the way to go for this particular instance. We haven't had a need to use IBCM or DirectAccess up to this point. We've run into issues with our County firewall folks that won't let us run DirectAccess as we do have a Juniper VPN that takes care of our remote issues. As for IBCM, we'll have to look a bit deeper into that and see if it has better features for us than Intune does. We don't have any mobile management requirements in the near future so I'm left wondering why the heck are management even bought the licenses.

Thanks for the note back on my question.

Dienstag, 24. Juni 2014 17:13
  • Using Intune for managing those devices is perfect.  You won't need the CM license as that would only be for MDM.  As long as your device doesn't have the CM client (the intune client won't install if that client is installed) you'll have no issues managing it via the Windows Intune Admin Console, logging into the domain is of no consequence.

However if you have  script that runs to install the CM client, etc, you may want to put these machines into a seperate OU that doens't receive it.

Thanks,

Jon L. - MSFT - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.

• Als Antwort markiert Sandy Wood Dienstag, 24. Juni 2014 20:19
    Dienstag, 24. Juni 2014 20:05
  • Thanks Jon. I appreciate the clarification on my question.

Dienstag, 24. Juni 2014 20:19