none
Storage pool / LDM database corrupt?

Frage

• Hi everyone,

I face a problem with the storage pool of my secondary DPM server. There are more and more datasource with recovery point creation failures and inconsistency. The failures cannot be fixed (running consistency check leaves them unconsistent).

We use a direct attached (SAS) storage device for the storage pool, consisting of two 2.3 TB disks and two 5.5 TB disks. All disks are configured as GPT, since they are larger than 2TB. When I run the LdmStats.ps1 script (see http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/03/30/what-volume-to-migrate-first.aspx), it reports extended volumes:

Total disks          : 4
    Total volumes        : 148
    Total extents        : 292
    Total data sources   : 287
    Number of non-colocated data sources that can still be added: 226

However, the diskpart utility and diskmanager snap-in only show "Simple" volumes whereas the extended volumes should be shown as "Spanned". So I suppose that there is something wrong with the LDM database. I have no indication of a hardware failure, all disks are online and accessable.

Has anyone seen this problem before and any ideas how to fix this?
    For more information here some of the errors that are logged:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Ntfs
    Date:          11/25/2011 1:29:57 PM
    Event ID:      55
    Task Category: (2)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      mgmt-bck10.management.int
    Description:
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\File System\vol_36e7927a-8cd1-405f-94....

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        VSS
    Date:          11/28/2011 7:25:49 PM
    Event ID:      12289
    Task Category: None
    Description:
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error CreateFileW(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy2363\,0x80000000,0x00000003,...).  hr = 0x800703ed, The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
    Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

Operation:
       Processing PreFinalCommitSnapshots

Context:
       Execution Context: System Provider

Log Name:      DPM Alerts
    Source:        DPM-EM
    Date:          11/28/2011 3:57:54 PM
    Event ID:      3106
    Task Category: None
    Description:

The replica of SG20 on MGMT-BCK22.management.int is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. (ID: 3106)
    The Operation failed since DPM was unable to access the file/folder \\?\Volume{d633ff4e-1983-11e0-82cf-005056b50274}\a0986519-1306-466d-99c7-ab8adcfd28e3\Full\E-Vol\SG20\ on  mgmt-bck10.management.int. This could be due to the file/folder being corrupt or the file system on the volume being corrupt. (ID: 2036)

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Klaus

Dienstag, 29. November 2011 10:44

Antworten

• Hi,

Stopping protection and reprotecting the datasources again didn't solve the problem. Finaly I moved replica and recoverypoint volumes to different disks within the storage pool using MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1. Now everything is ok again.

Regards,

Klaus

• Als Antwort markiert klaus.landes Montag, 12. Dezember 2011 07:20
    Montag, 12. Dezember 2011 07:20

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

Volumes that have been extended on the same physical disk (This is what DPM does if it can) are not considered spanned volumes in disk managment. 

The above errors show that you have corrupted NTFS volume and you have to run chkdsk /f \\?\Volume[guid] of the volume that is corrupt.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Dienstag, 29. November 2011 18:40
  • Hi Mike,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately there are more things wrong than one volume with a currupted file system :-( There are more volumes that have different kinds of problems. Some have corrupted file systems that cannot be fixed with chkdisk. For those datasources I'll stop protection without retaining the replica's and protect them again and see if it solves the problem. For the other problems I'll try to gather some more specific information.

Anyways, thanks for your explanation about the spanned volumes.

Regards,

Klaus

• Tag als Antwort aufgehoben klaus.landes Montag, 12. Dezember 2011 07:20
    Mittwoch, 30. November 2011 10:47
  • Hi,

Stopping protection and reprotecting the datasources again didn't solve the problem. Finaly I moved replica and recoverypoint volumes to different disks within the storage pool using MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1. Now everything is ok again.

Regards,

Klaus

Montag, 12. Dezember 2011 07:20