none
Change IP address

Frage

• Hi gurus

I have an windows 2008 server with a sql 2008 r2  intance, I need to change the IP address of the windows server 

1) do I have to change the sql server 2008 IP address ? if so where do I go and do this

2) do I have to reboot the server once the IP address has been changed, or just restared all sql servers.

Thanks gurus, I am just to new to sql .

Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013 20:39

Antworten

Alle Antworten

• You do not need to do anything unless you changed the default settings to only listen on the specific IP address.

Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013 20:45
  • Tom

Thanks a bunch for jumping in, I do have to change the IP on the windows server , so I take that by your answer the sql server will pick up the change from the windows system and change the  old IP address.

well the application can connect to the sql using IP or network name, so I guess they will have to adjust the ip in the application but I need to change the IP on the server so they can connect to it also as well with the new IP.

if the above is the case do I change the ip on the conf page? anywhere else that I need to change the IP?

Thanks again

Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2013 01:00
  • Hello,

I would suggest to examine the DNS records on the DNS server also, and update them if needed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2013 04:11
  • Alberto

Thanks, I am looking more into the server side, I know I will have to change the IP address on the windows server, do I have to also go into the sql server instance and change IP address there or will exchange pick the IP address from the adapter.

Thanks

exchange=sql server
    • Bearbeitet guaro555 Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2013 14:54 not exchange
    Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2013 14:51
  • SQL 2008 R2 and earlier bind IP addresses on service startup.  Change the machine IP or add a new NIC and SQL will "pick up" the addresses the next time the SQL Server service is started.

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2013 20:14
  • Hi,

To answer your question, yes, the only change require is in the Configuration section of the application unless you've specified SQL server to listen on only the previous IP address/binding; else SQL Server will pick up new IP address once you reboot it.

I would suggest you to use FQDN/NetBios name instead of using IP Address to avoid making such changes.

Thank you
    Hemantgiri S. Goswami | SQL Server Consultant
    SQL Server Citation| Twitter | Facebook
    Author of book - SQL Server 2008 High Availability

Freitag, 28. Juni 2013 02:22