none
Adding a harddrive to server 2012

Frage

• Hi All,

I am somewhat new to Server 2012 and I am hoping that this is an easy question to answer.

I have put Server 2012 on a workstation (not a server, per se) with a 2 TB harddrive seperated into 2 partitions. I have 500 GB dedicated to the OS (partition 1), and the remaining space holds file shares amd ownCloud stuff for about 10 users (Parition 2). I am currently using about half of the file share folder. If, in the future, I wanted to add capacity to Partition 2, could I add an external drive (since the workstation does not have room for internal expansion) and have server see the 2nd partition and the new external drive as one contiguous drive?

Thanks for your help,

Chris

Mittwoch, 28. August 2013 21:12

Antworten

• Hi Chris,

Before going further, I must admit that based on my knowledge, it is not possible to achieve this goal.

According to me, we can extend the space of a dynamic disk partition by adding a dynamic virtual disk to it (as one contiguous drive), only if the disk has not been used to store OS.

Another workaround is that we may assign a mount point folder path to a drive to extend the volume.

In regards to assigning a mount point folder path to a drive, the following article may be referred to for more information.

Assign a mount point folder path to a drive

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753321.aspx

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Freitag, 30. August 2013 10:56

Alle Antworten

• This does not happen automatically. You should extend primary partition. Here is basic information, how to do it with diskpart. Alternatively you can do it with GUI tools

http://technet.microsoft.com/cs-cz/library/cc771473.aspx

Rgds

Milos

Donnerstag, 29. August 2013 02:42
  • I do not think you can achieve it. Extend volume only works within one disk. You can consider to use storage space which support thin provisioning. that is, you can get a very large virtual disk even with smaller physical disks. when capacity is almost used up, you can insert new physical disks. All the volumes you see keep unchanged.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights

Donnerstag, 29. August 2013 03:06
  • Hi Chris,

Before going further, I must admit that based on my knowledge, it is not possible to achieve this goal.

According to me, we can extend the space of a dynamic disk partition by adding a dynamic virtual disk to it (as one contiguous drive), only if the disk has not been used to store OS.

Another workaround is that we may assign a mount point folder path to a drive to extend the volume.

In regards to assigning a mount point folder path to a drive, the following article may be referred to for more information.

Assign a mount point folder path to a drive

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753321.aspx

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Freitag, 30. August 2013 10:56