none
Upgraded to Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 now getting "RPC server unavailable" error

Frage

• I just upgraded my Hyper-V Server 2012 to Hyper-V Server 2012 R2, and now I'm having problems remotely managing it.

My workstation is a Windows 8 machine that is domain joined to a PDC running as a VM on the Hyper-V server. The Hyper-V server itself does not belong to the domain, so I created a local user account with administrative privileges.

Everything worked fine before the upgrade, and immediately after the upgrade I was able to manage the VMs through the Hyper-V Manager client on my workstation just long enough to spin up the VMs.  However, after a little while I started getting the "RPC server unavailable. Unable to establish communication between..." message in the "Virtual Machines" list.

I'm able to ping the Hyper-V server, and I'm able to access a network share on the machine using the same local user account that I use for managing the server.

Various functions in the Hyper-V Manager still work. I'm able view the "Hyper-V Settings", "Edit Disk", "Inspect Disk", etc.

Edit: Here is some more information. The local user account is added to the "Administrators" user group and has password expiration set to "never". I noticed that there is a "Hyper-V Administrators" user group that I never noticed before. This user account is not part of this user group.

• Bearbeitet cbae Mittwoch, 11. September 2013 00:22
    Mittwoch, 11. September 2013 00:17

Antworten

• I don't know if anybody noticed my post earlier, but I mentioned that I was able to resolve the issue.

I just needed to reconfigure COM security on my client machines to enable remote access when using an anonymous connection. You can do this using dcomcnfg.exe.

I'm now able to manage by Hyper-V Server 2012R2 deployment from both Windows 8.0 and Windows 8.1 clients. I have not tried this from a Windows 7 client, however.

Samstag, 5. Oktober 2013 13:46

Alle Antworten

• 1) you upgraded to code that is not release quality.  There are bugs being fixed.  RTM is not release.

2) 2012 R2 can only be managed by the 2012 R2 or Windows 8.1 Hyper-V manager, or the not yet RTM SCVMM 2012 R2.

There are changes happening at the management stack layer that have caused #2 to happen since Hyper-V was released. 

Any user must be a member of the Hyper-V Administrators group (this was new with 2012).  But there can still be error beyond that due to Remote Management not being on, the disk management subsystem changing, and other things.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Mittwoch, 11. September 2013 14:59
  • The RTM version is not "release quality"? Are you serious?

I tried managing with server wtih Hyper-V Manager on Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. All of them show the "RPC Server unavailable..." error.

The user account I'm using is part of "Administrators" but not "Hyper-V Administrators". This worked fine with Hyper- V Server 2012. I also tried adding the user to the "Hyper-V Administrators" group, but that didn't change anything.

There are some remote management features that work through MMC. Task Scheduler, Event Viewer, Shared Folders, Local Users and Groups, and Performance are all remotely manageable. However, Device Manager, Disk Management, Services, and WMI Control are currently not manageable from a remote machine.

Mittwoch, 11. September 2013 22:26
  • Maybe that was a bit strong of a statement.

Mary Jo Foley came to the defense of MSFT for not releasing RTM to everyone at the same time and sums it up pretty well here:

Point 5: The decision to withhold the RTM bits until launch probably does mean more folks will be downloading non-official RTM builds that have already started leaking ahead of October 18. Microsoft's advice is, unsurprisingly, users should wait for the "official" RTM bits and expect possible patches and updates to the consumer preview builds that the company released in late June in the interim.

That said.  There can still be stuff that is not 100%.  Expect patches to the RTM as well.

And, As I have learned with every update.  Remote management has had issues with each release as the Windows Security model continues to tighten and features move away from RPC (in particular).

Are both of your machines in the same domain?  or standalone?

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Mittwoch, 11. September 2013 23:07
  • The Hyper-V server is in its own work group. I have a DC running as a VM hosted by this Hyper-V server, and the workstation is domain-joined to that domain. I have since changed the workstation back to the same work group as the Hyper-V server in order to resolve this issue, and I'm unable to change it back since I have lost access to the DC and all other VMs hosted by the Hyper-V server.

Donnerstag, 12. September 2013 00:05
  • You state this was an upgrade, right?

There are always unique issues with upgrades.

I was about to ask if you turned remote administration off and on again using sconfig.exe

You should not have lost access to the DC and VMs.  They should still be on the same physical network segment.  Right?  Or did more than the domain membership change?

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Donnerstag, 12. September 2013 00:46
  • Yes, it's an upgrade. I didn't do anything with sconfig.exe until I started getting the "RPC server unavailable..." error.

As I said, the upgrade seemed to work fine. I was able to spin up the VMs with Hyper-V Manager after the upgrade. After a little while, I could no longer manage the server so I tried turning remote configuration on again (even though sconfig already said that it was enabled).

Yes, one would think that the VMs should still be accessible. I have a website running on one of the VMs, and when I noticed that I could no longer access it I went to Hyper-V Manager to investigate. That's when I noticed that I couldn't even manage the Hyper-V Server any longer.

• Bearbeitet cbae Donnerstag, 12. September 2013 01:49
    Donnerstag, 12. September 2013 01:49
  • MSDN. Keep in mind this is Hyper-V Server 2012 R2. It is NOT Hyper-V on Windows Server 2012 R2.
    • Bearbeitet cbae Donnerstag, 12. September 2013 03:30
    Donnerstag, 12. September 2013 03:29
  • I have the same problem

upgrade from Win 2012 server with HyperV role to R2

Nico

Dienstag, 17. September 2013 22:11
  • Can you please provide the details about where and what you are managing it from?

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Dienstag, 17. September 2013 22:35
  • I've tried to manage my Hyper V role on Windows 2012R2 from another Windows 2012R2 with HyperV management tools installed

both server are standalone, user are HyperV administrator privilege

Mittwoch, 18. September 2013 00:13
  • Hi,

I would like to check if you need further assistance.

Thanks.

Alex Lv

Montag, 30. September 2013 03:17
  • Oh this is screwy screwy.. :-(

Am I to understand I have to wait for "General Availability" = Oct. 17 to make the Hyper-V manageable again?

I just updated and I have

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM
    Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 RTM

I'm in a Active Directoy setting, therefore firewall and user rights are presumably just right as it worked before the update.

Now I get in Windows 8.1 Hyper-V Manager

"An error occurred while attempting to connect to server "...". Check that the Virtual Machine Management service is running and that you are authorized to connect to the server.

Cannot connect to the RPC service on computer '...'Make sure your RPC service is running"

This would seem like a firewall issue, but it isn't.

C:\Users\***>netsh advfirewall show currentprofile

Domain Profile Settings:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    State                                 ON
    Firewall Policy                       AllowInbound,AllowOutbound
    LocalFirewallRules                    N/A (GPO-store only)
    LocalConSecRules                      N/A (GPO-store only)
    InboundUserNotification               Disable
    RemoteManagement                      Disable
    UnicastResponseToMulticast            Enable

Logging:
    LogAllowedConnections                 Disable
    LogDroppedConnections                 Disable
    FileName                              %systemroot%\system32\LogFiles\Firewall\pf
    irewall.log
    MaxFileSize                           4096

Ok.

I'd like to add that I can connect with Remote Desktop and Disk Management MMC to the Hyper-V just fine.

What in the h*** were they thinking when they released this a "RTM". I was expecting minor bugs, Not that the whole Hyper-V would become unmanageable until mid October?!

Supplemental, also with the Windows 7 RSAT Hyper-V Manager no luck.

Dienstag, 1. Oktober 2013 15:50
  • One thing that I noticed (and I'm not sure if this was the case in Hyper-V Server 2012) was that the default network profile was set to "Public". I don't know if this had anything to do with the connectivity issue, but I decided to try setting it to "Private". I spent at least an hour looking for how to change the default using netsh. While mucking around with netsh, I completely hosed my firewall settings. By this point, I decided to bite the bullet and do a clean installation of Hyper-V Server R2. After installation, I still wasn't able to connect to the server with Hyper-V Manager.

After searching around, I found a few resources about client requirements for managing a server through an anonymous connection. One requirement is to have network discovery turned on, which was already the case on all of my client machines. The second requirement is to configure COM Security for remote access. It turns out this WASN'T configured properly on my client machines. This is how to do so:

1. From the command line: dcomcnfg
    2. Right click on Component Services | Computers | My Computer node and select "Properties"
    3. Select the COM Security tab
    4. Click "Edit Limits..." in the "Access Permissions" section
    5. Select the "ANONYMOUS LOGON" user and check "Allow" for "Remote Access" permissions

After these steps, I'm now able to manage my server with Hyper-V Manager.

BTW, if you want to change the default network profile to "Private" on your server, you will need to run this PowerShell script:

# Skip network location setting for pre-Vista operating systems 
    if([environment]::OSVersion.version.Major -lt 6) { return } 

# Skip network location setting if local machine is joined to a domain. 
    if(1,3,4,5 -contains (Get-WmiObject win32_computersystem).DomainRole) { return } 

# Get network connections 
    $networkListManager = [Activator]::CreateInstance([Type]::GetTypeFromCLSID([Guid]"{DCB00C01-570F-4A9B-8D69-199FDBA5723B}")) 
    $connections = $networkListManager.GetNetworkConnections() 

# Set network location to Private for all networks 
    $connections | % {$_.GetNetwork().SetCategory(1)}

Be sure to issue this command from the PowerShell prompt before invoking the script:

set-executionpolicy remotesigned

• Bearbeitet cbae Dienstag, 1. Oktober 2013 18:12
    Dienstag, 1. Oktober 2013 18:11
  • @cbae What is your client OS?

Here is the work-around:

To manage the Hyper-V Server 2012 R2, a Windows Server 2012 R2 GUI installation is required. The Windows 8.1 Hyper-V Manager and the Windows 7 RSAT Hyper-V Manager will not do.

• Bearbeitet Duke73 Freitag, 4. Oktober 2013 19:49
    Freitag, 4. Oktober 2013 19:48
  • My suspicion is that your client needs to be Win8.1.

There are tweaks to allow Win7 RSAT to administer a Win8/2012 Hyper-V so that may work.

HVRemote is a tool that may get things going again for you.

Philip Elder WSSMB MVP Blog: http://blog.mpecsinc.ca

Samstag, 5. Oktober 2013 01:21
  • the client and server versions have to match. It has been that way since 2008 r2.

it is due to management stack changes.

and the easiest way to keep up is simply to require the matching version of the client.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Samstag, 5. Oktober 2013 01:50
  • the client and server versions have to match. It has been that way since 2008 r2.

Yes, but shouldn't Win 8.1 and Win Srv 2012 R2 be a match?
    Samstag, 5. Oktober 2013 09:43
  • I don't know if anybody noticed my post earlier, but I mentioned that I was able to resolve the issue.

I just needed to reconfigure COM security on my client machines to enable remote access when using an anonymous connection. You can do this using dcomcnfg.exe.

I'm now able to manage by Hyper-V Server 2012R2 deployment from both Windows 8.0 and Windows 8.1 clients. I have not tried this from a Windows 7 client, however.

Samstag, 5. Oktober 2013 13:46
  • My suspicion is that your client needs to be Win8.1.

There are tweaks to allow Win7 RSAT to administer a Win8/2012 Hyper-V so that may work.

HVRemote is a tool that may get things going again for you.

Philip Elder WSSMB MVP Blog: http://blog.mpecsinc.ca

I can now manage my server from both Windows 8.0 and 8.1 clients.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I think I was NOT able to manage my server when it was 2008R2 from a Windows 8 client. That's when I upgraded the server to 2012. After doing so, I was able to manage the server from both Windows 8 and Windows 7 clients.

Currently, I can manage a 2012R2 server from both Windows 8.0 and 8.1. So I'm speculating that the limitation is generally on the client-side. A particular version of the client OS can manage servers that are the corresponding version OR newer--never older. For example:

• Windows 7 client can manage: 2008R2, 2012, 2012R2
    • Windows 8 client can manage: 2012, 2012R2
    • Windows 8.1 client can manage: 2012R2

• Bearbeitet cbae Samstag, 5. Oktober 2013 13:56
    Samstag, 5. Oktober 2013 13:47
  • what you will find is that win 7 can manage, above 2008 r2, but not the full feature set.

Same with win 8.  it can manage 2012 r2, but not the full feature set.

with 2012 r2 the legacy management api that win 7 used is gone, so only win 8.1 clients.

now, the COM setting should not have needed to be changed to anonymous.  that is more curious.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Samstag, 5. Oktober 2013 14:16