none
Startup script GPO applies to Windows 7, not XP

Allgemeine Diskussion

• IHA GPO that runs a batch at computer startup. It is only applied to 2 test computers. On Windows 7, it is applied. On XP, it does not apply. It is not in gpresult or rsop on the XP machine. Looking at the GPO on the server, both machines have read and apply group policy permission. The files are in sysvol. Any idea why it won't applyto XP?

Dienstag, 24. September 2013 16:29

Alle Antworten

• Please ask GPO functionality questions in the GP forum.

Many policies do not work on XP.  XP must be updated to work with GPP.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dienstag, 24. September 2013 17:06
  • Why would one startup batch apply to the XP machine, but another not apply?
    • Bearbeitet rlevick Dienstag, 24. September 2013 19:48
    Dienstag, 24. September 2013 19:48
  • Run gpmc.msc on XP, create a results report and check for your GPO.

Martin

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))

Restore the forum design - my user defined Cascading Style Sheet!

Dienstag, 24. September 2013 20:07
  • Run RSOP on the server against the XP machine using GPMC. Look at what GPOs are applied and look for any errors.

If you are using GPP then XP will not use them if it has not been manually updated to allow GPP updates. These updates are only automatic in Vista and later.  The components are an optional Windows Update file.

If you are getting no results in XP RSOP then you are likely not having any policy applied on XP machines due to something like a firewall issue or other issues with the GP components.  You will have to do fundamental trouble shooting including reviewing The output of the Policy Wizard on GPMC (or at the comandline).  Be sure to look at the event log entries reported.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dienstag, 24. September 2013 20:55
  • Run gpmc.msc on XP, create a results report and check for your GPO.

Martin

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))

Restore the forum design - my user defined Cascading Style Sheet!

Martin - I think you mean to run GPMC Results of Policy Wizard  AGAINST the XP machine and not necessarily ON the XP machine.

GPMC can be run from any machine it is installed on.  The important this is to look at what the full report tells us about the success or failure of GP and to see what GPOs were actually applied.

====>>>>

That is some sexy CSS work on the forum display.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dienstag, 24. September 2013 20:59
  • Turns out the batch I got from the vendor doesn't support XP (a point they left out, or the salesman didn't know). So, what's a few hours of my life wasted? Thanks for the replies.
    Dienstag, 24. September 2013 21:08
  • Turns out the batch I got from the vendor doesn't support XP (a point they left out, or the salesman didn't know). So, what's a few hours of my life wasted? Thanks for the replies.

That makes no sense.  Batch files are applied by AD GP and the system.  They know nothing about vendors.  Are you saying the contents of the batch only run on Windows 7.  That has nothing to do with scripts or GP.  That is a software compatibility issue.

Glad you got the answer. Be careful of third party tools in logon scripts.  They need to be well tested.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dienstag, 24. September 2013 21:26
  • I still don't know why the GPO didn't apply. It makes no sense to me either. Especially since I have another startup batch that does apply on the system. I'm just not going to keep banging my head for a solution that's not compatible with the OS.  Thanks again.
    Dienstag, 24. September 2013 21:32