none
SP1 Appears Installed on Windows 2008 R2 DC, but didn't change to installed state after reboot, all subsequent hotfixes fail.

Frage

• I am trying to help a client update their DC with SP1. They are running Windows 2008 R2 Standard 64-bit. They ran the "windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe" and told me they saw the screen saying that SP1 had successfully installed and then rebooted and tried to install further hotfixes but they all failed with error 2149842967 which is "This update is not applicable to your computer". The system properties windows shows that SP1 has been applied and the "Installed Updates" window also shows the "Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB976932)" in the list. 

But when I go to the Event Viewer > Setup log, the last message is "A reboot is necessary before package KB976932 can be changed to the installed state" but the machine has already been rebooted twice. I never saw the message "Package KB976932 was successfully changed to the Installed state". I believe this is what is causing the subsequent hotfixes to not install.

All machines other machines had the SP1 applied successfully and subsequent hotfixes also installed properly, so I think it may have something to do with being the Primary DC (it holds all the operations masters roles).

I have already asked our client to uninstall the SP1 and try reinstalling it, but they get the same results.

But I also noticed something funny in the Event Viewer when they did this. They Initiate the uninstall and for whatever reason they do it again so there are 2 entries for the uninstall and there is a message saying "A reboot is necessary before package KB976932 can be changed to the Absent state." and then the machine reboots and the next message is "Package KB976932 was successfully changed to the Installed state" followed by "Package KB976932 was successfully changed to the Absent state"!! It only changes to the Installed State after you initiate an uninstall, and then it uninstalls!

Unfortunately their remote desktop is locked down so I can't get the logs to post here, but it goes something like this:

3:40:44 - Initiating changes for package KB976932. Current state is Installed. Target state is Absent. Client id: Software Explorer.
    3:40:44 - A reboot is necessary before package KB976932 can be changed to the Absent state.
    3:40:57 - Reboot
    4:11:47 - Initiating changes for package KB976932. Current state is Installed. Target state is Absent. Client id: Software Explorer.
    4:11:47 - A reboot is necessary before package KB976932 can be changed to the Absent state.
    4:12:02 - Reboot
    4:22:55 - Package KB976932 was successfully changed to the Installed state.
    5:58:45 - Reboot
    6:11:02 - Package KB976932 was successfully changed to the Absent state.
    6:11:10 - Reboot

6:20:20 - Package KB976932 was successfully changed to the Absent state

I got the reboot times from the Event Viewer > System log filtering for Kernel-Power events.

Today all I see is:
    2:32:18 - Initiating changes for package KB976932. Current state is Absent. Target state is Installed. Client id: Software Explorer.

4:47:47 - A reboot is necessary before package KB976932 can be changed to the Installed state.

And again, the last "successfully changed to the Installed state" message is missing.

The firewalls are disabled and anti-virus is enabled (it was fine for the other machines)

If I try to run the installer again it just says it is already installed and quits.

I tried KB947821, the system update readiness tool, but it fails with error 2147944003 "fatal error during installation"

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone know how to fix this?

• Bearbeitet JamesBarry_947 Freitag, 27. September 2013 21:26 Added more info
    Freitag, 27. September 2013 21:19

Antworten

• Thanks, I found out the GPO set the Windows Installer service to manual so I set it to automatic and rebooted and now I see the "successfully changed to the Installed state" and subsequent hotfixes are being installed now.

Not sure if that was it though because although it was set to manual it was started. Or maybe it just needed a couple reboots like you said. I had already rebooted twice, so maybe 3rd reboot was the one I needed. At any rate it's working now.

Thanks!

Mittwoch, 2. Oktober 2013 17:24

Alle Antworten

• I tried KB947821, the system update readiness tool, but it fails with error 2147944003 "fatal error during installation"

I would actually suggest focusing on this issue, because if the System Update Readiness Tool cannot run successfully, then it's highly unlikely any other updates, most specifically a Service Pack, are going to be able to successfully install.

Otherwise this is really an Operating System/Service Pack issue, and the appropriate place for this conversation is most likely in the Windows Server Setup/Deployment Forum.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Freitag, 27. September 2013 22:30
  • Hi,

Multiple reboots might be needed to complete the upgrade process depending on what’s running on your server.

Reboot included the entire process took about 22 to 23 minutes. In the setup event log you’ll find these messages:

• Initiating changes for package KB976932. Current state is Absent. Target state is Installed. Client id: SP Coordinater Engine.
    • Package KB976932 was successfully changed to the Installed state.

Note: if an extra reboot is required you’ll see an extra entry in between these stating: A reboot is necessary before package KB976932 can be changed to the Installed state.

In this case, I would like to suggest you follow the below article and according to your system, re-download the SP1 and try it again. We may need to restart the server several times.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/uspartner_ts2team/archive/2011/02/23/service-pack-1-for-windows-server-2008-r2-and-windows-7-is-available-for-download-now.aspx

Regards,

Yan Li

Cataleya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Dienstag, 1. Oktober 2013 06:17
  • Thanks, I found out the GPO set the Windows Installer service to manual so I set it to automatic and rebooted and now I see the "successfully changed to the Installed state" and subsequent hotfixes are being installed now.

Not sure if that was it though because although it was set to manual it was started. Or maybe it just needed a couple reboots like you said. I had already rebooted twice, so maybe 3rd reboot was the one I needed. At any rate it's working now.

Thanks!

Mittwoch, 2. Oktober 2013 17:24