none
Boot VM to Screen in Hyper-V

Frage

• Hi,

Is it possible to boot a specific VM to the screen from an Hyper-V sever so the client does not see the Hyper-V command line screen.

Best Regards,

Abby_Doc

Freitag, 6. September 2013 17:26

Antworten

Alle Antworten

• I don't understand.

You wish to reboot the Hyper-V Server to a specific V at the console?

This is not a Hyper-V thing - this is a native boot / vhd boot type of process.

If you are using Hyper-V Server (the free version) or a Server Core installation - there is no VM Console.  You must use the Hyper-V Manager GUI to get the VM console.  And it requires the full windows shell be installed (not possible on the Free Hyper-V Server).

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Freitag, 6. September 2013 19:10
  • I want to build a server based on either Hyper-V (free) or Full Hyper - V included on windows server 2012.

When I boot the server I want it to display on the screen a specific VM from Hyper-V

Cheers

Freitag, 6. September 2013 20:01
  • Then you have to create some logon script that drives either an RDP connection to a VM, or VMConnect to auto launch the connection on logon.

And, if it is the local machine, you have to use Server (or Client) with the Hyper-V Role.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Freitag, 6. September 2013 20:40
  • Hi,

I don't understand why you want to have it, normally when you start an Hyper-v server you will get the press ctrl+alt+del page before you can see the Hyper-V command line screen?

Also when you are using MSTSC there is an automated timeout setting that will disconnect the RDP session when its not being used any more.

The best to do this is just create an PowerShell script for auto connecting with VMconnect.

Kind Regards,

Dion

- Dion

Samstag, 7. September 2013 11:20
  • it sounds like you are trying to use the free hyper v server product as a thin client, you may eventually be able to fudge something but chances are it's only going to cause more headache, hyper v server is intended to be core for a reason so you don't have to plug monitor keyboard or mouse into it.
    Samstag, 7. September 2013 13:38
  • Thanks for all the replies.

All I want to know is if it is possible to Hyper-V server free or or one included in a Full featured Windows Server 2012 boot in to a specific VM with out any user interference.

So say for example I Install VM 1 and VM2 on an Hyper-V. When the server boots I want it to boot into VM1 directly and don't want the end user to see the server interface be it Hyper-V free or full.

Samstag, 7. September 2013 13:50
  • Thanks for all the replies.

All I want to know is if it is possible to Hyper-V server free or or one included in a Full featured Windows Server 2012 boot in to a specific VM with out any user interference.

So say for example I Install VM 1 and VM2 on an Hyper-V. When the server boots I want it to boot into VM1 directly and don't want the end user to see the server interface be it Hyper-V free or full.

No that's not possible out of the box, you can do this by using an RDP session or VMConnect. But you will need to create an script for this to make it possible.

- Dion

• Bearbeitet Diondk Samstag, 7. September 2013 14:05
    Samstag, 7. September 2013 14:05
  • Hyper V is a role the virtual machine will not boot unless the hyperv role is installed and running, You could do a dual boot but I don't think this is what you want.

As Diondk says you would still have to boot the server to server 2012 and logon on to the host then in a logon script launch RDP to a VM if it's running. But user would still be able to minimize the RDP session and they would then be on the server's desktop.

You can install server 2012, install RDS, and when you rdp into the hyperv host it will start the VM and give the user a specific VM but it doesn't sound like that's what you want either.

Sonntag, 8. September 2013 00:58
  • Hi,

I am not very sure what’s your really demand, I consider that you are think of that:

Use the one physical device and when it power on it automatically login the virtual vm remote desktop.

If I am not misunderstand you can use the Widows Embedded thin client, On that platform you can use the RDP function to connect any RDP compatible Windows system.

More information:

Windows Embedded

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Embedded

Remote Desktop Connection (Compact 7)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee484339(v=winembedded.70).aspx

Connecting to the Target with Remote Desktop (Windows Embedded Standard 2009)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb521654(v=winembedded.51).aspx

Hope this helps.

Alex Lv

Montag, 9. September 2013 08:32
  •  

Hi,

I would like to check if you need further assistance.

Thanks.

Alex Lv

Donnerstag, 12. September 2013 02:11
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for checking up.

I have found a different solution to the issue.

Best Regards,

Abby Doc

Montag, 16. September 2013 09:30