none
Windows patches issue

Frage

• Dear Team,

We are facing issue with windows patches. There are some windows 2008 x64 related patches are not applied to Wn2k8 std edition but same are applying to Win2k8 enterprise edition. 

How it is happening as microsoft is not releasing patches for Standard & enterprise (edition based) separately correct me if i wrong..

So can we solve this issue.

T&R,

Sachin Salvi

Donnerstag, 25. Juli 2013 20:26

Antworten

• We are facing issue with windows patches. There are some windows 2008 x64 related patches are not applied to Wn2k8 std edition but same are applying to Win2k8 enterprise edition.

To be frank, this scenario is impossible because neither the Windows Update Agent, nor the packages published to WSUS, are capable of distinguishing the difference between *EDITIONS* of the same version of an operating system.

While I will readily accept that you are observing different update detection behaviors on [a] Standard Edition vs [b] Enterprise Edition, I promise you the difference is not because of the *edition*. Some other factor is at work in this case -- perhaps an update missing from the Standard Edition servers; perhaps a ROLE not installed on the Standard Edition servers?

Also, because this is Windows Server 2008, keep in mind that there were two separate SKUs of WS2008 available - one WITH Hyper-V and one WITHOUT Hyper-V -- a factor that could also be a contributing factor in this observed behavior.

The key here is to determine what is different between these two groups of servers other than the EDITION that is installed.

Also, you use the ambiguous term "applied" in your post. Let's talk about more distinct terms:

• Are the updates in question reported as Not Applicable to those WS2008 EntEd systems?
    • Are the updates in question reported as Not Installed to those WS2008 EntEd systems, but simply failing to download/install as expected?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Freitag, 26. Juli 2013 00:51