none
SBS 2011 Standard - CPU clock speed vs. many CPU cores

Frage

• Hello,

I have solved had some hardware sizing questions but this one remains unclear to me:

Most 'modern' servers from HP, Fujitsu, Dell,... come with CPUs that are only around 1,9 to 2,4 GHz.
    They often have 6 or more cores, but my guess is that a quadcore around 3 GHz with HT would perform much better with an SBS.

Can anyone confirm?

Hardware specs are:
    - Fujitsu TX150 S8 (single socket)
    * 32 GB RAM
    * 4 x 15K SAS (2 Raid Arrays, one for the os, one for data) on a potent RAID-Controller (Raid 1 or Raid 5/6-Controller with 512 MB Cache and BBU for customers with higher i/o requirements)
    * Redundant power supplies

Load: Only 3-10 users, usually one LOB SQL/Sybase-DB installed directly on the SBS itself. Max. Exchange mailbox around 10 GB, usually only around 1 GB/user. No heavy mail traffic at all.

Thank you for your comments, I am really puzzled with this CPU question... ;)

Max

Dienstag, 12. November 2013 11:51

Antworten

• How many users will the system support?

The two most recent SBS 2011 i installed were:

1x 1.8Ghz Xeon E5-2403

This supports about 6 users and currently is using around 25% CPU it has 32Gb of Ram. 99% of that 25% is being used by their awful Symantec Endpoint Manager database.

1x 2.2Ghz Xeon E5-2430

This supports 30 users, (is virtualised) and has 20Gb of Ram. THe CPU is sitting idle on the Guest, the host (2012 standard) also hosts a second VM for the client which is also CPU Idle.

The most intensive system i have in production, is a 2008 R2 Hyper V server supporting 150+ users. This has:

2x 2.53Ghz Xeon E5630 The CPU is generally idle across the 2 VMs except during backups.

So depending on your proposed solution, be it virutal or physical you have a lot of different options, however i would agree with the advice already given, CPU is less important than disk and memory.

To get the best performance, i believe a single quad core CPU, with fast disk array and 32GB Ram will be best.

Now if you want to get into a debate about disk configuration, then i will have to invite others to comment!

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

• Als Antwort markiert Max_Habermehl Sonntag, 17. November 2013 19:23
    Donnerstag, 14. November 2013 14:14
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Please understand that the minimum CPU requirement for SBS 2001 is Quad core 2 GHz 64-bit (x64) or faster and 1 socket (4 sockets maximum). For your small office requirement, the CPU you mentioned should be fine. Memory and disk systems are more important than the CPU for SBS.

Regarding the Hardware requirements for SBS 2011, please refer to the following article.

Release Documentation for Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg491249.aspx

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Donnerstag, 14. November 2013 09:12

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Please understand that the minimum CPU requirement for SBS 2001 is Quad core 2 GHz 64-bit (x64) or faster and 1 socket (4 sockets maximum). For your small office requirement, the CPU you mentioned should be fine. Memory and disk systems are more important than the CPU for SBS.

Regarding the Hardware requirements for SBS 2011, please refer to the following article.

Release Documentation for Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg491249.aspx

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Donnerstag, 14. November 2013 09:12
  • Hello Mr Qi,

thank you very much for your response. Very much appreciated.

I know I may sound a bit painstaking here ;) but I am always trying to give my customers the best possible solutions.
    As these servers probably will run 4-8 years I am very concerned not to 'underpower' them).

So I would be very glad if someone who recently installed SBS 2011 for customers could amend his field experiences re. CPU performance.

To be a bit more specific than in my first posting, these are the CPUs I can choose from:

I. Off the shelf servers (
    Fujitsu TX150 S8, for example) have 1.9 GHz Xeons E5-2420 CPUs (1.9 GHz to 2.4 GHz in turbo mode, 15 MB cache, 6 Cores, Hyperthreading: Yes, according to Intel)

II. If I used BTO configurations instead (much pricier, though), I am considering these two
    alternatives (they seem to be reasonable regarding their price-performance ratio):

- Xeon E5-1410 (2.8 GHz, turbo mode: 3.2 GHz, 10 MB cache, 4 Cores, HT)
    - Xeon E5-2430 (2.2 GHz, turbo mode: 2.7 GHz, 15 MB cache, 6 Cores, HT)

Thank you so much for any further information.

Max

Donnerstag, 14. November 2013 12:43
  • How many users will the system support?

The two most recent SBS 2011 i installed were:

1x 1.8Ghz Xeon E5-2403

This supports about 6 users and currently is using around 25% CPU it has 32Gb of Ram. 99% of that 25% is being used by their awful Symantec Endpoint Manager database.

1x 2.2Ghz Xeon E5-2430

This supports 30 users, (is virtualised) and has 20Gb of Ram. THe CPU is sitting idle on the Guest, the host (2012 standard) also hosts a second VM for the client which is also CPU Idle.

The most intensive system i have in production, is a 2008 R2 Hyper V server supporting 150+ users. This has:

2x 2.53Ghz Xeon E5630 The CPU is generally idle across the 2 VMs except during backups.

So depending on your proposed solution, be it virutal or physical you have a lot of different options, however i would agree with the advice already given, CPU is less important than disk and memory.

To get the best performance, i believe a single quad core CPU, with fast disk array and 32GB Ram will be best.

Now if you want to get into a debate about disk configuration, then i will have to invite others to comment!

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

• Als Antwort markiert Max_Habermehl Sonntag, 17. November 2013 19:23
    Donnerstag, 14. November 2013 14:14
  • Robert,

thank you very much for your precise information. It helps a lot! Our customers usually are from 3 to 10 users only, so no big companies/no heavy user generated loads on the servers.

> 1x 1.8Ghz Xeon E5-2403 > This supports about 6 users and currently is using around 25% CPU it has 32Gb of Ram. 99% of that 25% is being used by their awful SymantecEndpoint Manager database.

This CPU you mentioned has no Hyperthreading and neither the Turbo Boost feature but even though it seems to run quite well (despite from this Symantec specific problem).

Makes me wonder, if I am not generally aiming to high with my CPU proposals for those small clients we usually have...
    Seems like I could at least go with the Xeon E5-2420 (1,90GHz/15MB) CPU when it comes to very small customer sites.

Btw: Did you see any noticecable performance impact when using non-performance-mode RAM configurations?
    For the TX150, Fujitsu says that you have to use a multiple of three RAM modules to benefit from performance mode improvements (which they say are around 5-7 % more performance than in non-perf.-mode).
    I chose 32 GB RAM (4 x 8 GB or 2 x 16 GB) which means no performance mode over 6 x 4 GB (24 GB) which would activate performance mode but also mean 8 GB less on the server.
    From my experiences I assume that an SBS server benefits more from every additional Gig RAM than from less RAM but Performance mode.

Thanks again!

Max

Donnerstag, 14. November 2013 17:17
  • Given the relatively cheap price of RAM i always spec out 32gb where possible as that is the max SBS supports.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Donnerstag, 14. November 2013 19:39
  • To add in the mix: I have one SBS 2011 in the wild which was installed in June 2012:

5 users
    16GB RAM (this is at 97% usage - over half by store.exe, but perf is fine)
    Single Intel Xeon X3450 2.67Ghz (quad core, 8 threads)

CPU is pretty much idle most of the time.

Freitag, 15. November 2013 09:47
  • Gentlemen,

thank you for your answers. They were very helpful to me.

For one customer who will order an SSD-only server i chose to use a XEON E5-1410 (4 cores, HT, 2,8 GHz, turbo boost, 10 MB cache).

For customers with a HDD only setup I will go with a XEON 2420 or XEON 2430.

For future readers: Please remember that I only have very small client networks (3-10 users) with no heavy load on the server.

Thanks again for your help!

Max

Sonntag, 17. November 2013 19:28