none
WSUS on a new server

Frage

• I have a WSUS server running Server 2003 SP2 on a 64 bit bit with SQL 2005. It needs to be replaced. I am not sure if starting over is the best idea or migrating. The WSUS has not been updating properly for a about a year. I was thinking about starting over and sending the GPO to the new server. What is the best plan?
    Donnerstag, 5. Juni 2014 17:43

Antworten

• Hi,

Start over is not a lot of work I think, but all the updates should be downloaded again. If you worry about network cost, we can choose another migrate solution that Lawrence has referred in a thread before:

Assume you are running WSUS 3.2, patch your server with kb2734608. Make the new server as a downstream server running in replica mode. After synchronization is complete, configure it as an upstream server. Change your GPO to point to your new server.

Hope this helps.

Freitag, 6. Juni 2014 05:31
  • I have a WSUS server running Server 2003 SP2 on a 64 bit bit with SQL 2005. It needs to be replaced. I am not sure if starting over is the best idea or migrating. The WSUS has not been updating properly for a about a year. I was thinking about starting over and sending the GPO to the new server. What is the best plan?

If it doesn't currently work correctly, there seem to be little point in try to migrate it. Almost certainly you'll end up with a broken migration. But of course, this depends on why it's broken.

First you state that "the WSUS has not been updating properly"... so we need to break this down. Are you saying that the WSUS server has not been patched in the past year?... or are you saying that client systems have not been getting patches from the WSUS server? This distinction, no doubt, may be important downstream, but I'll start with this question:

Have you installed KB2720211 or KB2734608 on this WSUS server yet?

Second question, as regards "starting over"... would it be your intent to rebuild a WSUS v3 server on this Windows Server 2003 SP2 system or deploy a new instance of WSUS on a newer operating system -- keeping in mind, of course, that support for Windows Server 2003 expires in about a year. This has a lot to do with whether migration is even an option for you.

Finally.... the last part of your statement "....and sending the GPO to the new server". What exactly do you mean by that statement?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Freitag, 13. Juni 2014 18:34

Alle Antworten

• I am also putting Solarwinds Patch Management.
    Donnerstag, 5. Juni 2014 17:43
  • Hi,

Start over is not a lot of work I think, but all the updates should be downloaded again. If you worry about network cost, we can choose another migrate solution that Lawrence has referred in a thread before:

Assume you are running WSUS 3.2, patch your server with kb2734608. Make the new server as a downstream server running in replica mode. After synchronization is complete, configure it as an upstream server. Change your GPO to point to your new server.

Hope this helps.

Freitag, 6. Juni 2014 05:31

If it doesn't currently work correctly, there seem to be little point in try to migrate it. Almost certainly you'll end up with a broken migration. But of course, this depends on why it's broken.

First you state that "the WSUS has not been updating properly"... so we need to break this down. Are you saying that the WSUS server has not been patched in the past year?... or are you saying that client systems have not been getting patches from the WSUS server? This distinction, no doubt, may be important downstream, but I'll start with this question:

Have you installed KB2720211 or KB2734608 on this WSUS server yet?

Second question, as regards "starting over"... would it be your intent to rebuild a WSUS v3 server on this Windows Server 2003 SP2 system or deploy a new instance of WSUS on a newer operating system -- keeping in mind, of course, that support for Windows Server 2003 expires in about a year. This has a lot to do with whether migration is even an option for you.

Finally.... the last part of your statement "....and sending the GPO to the new server". What exactly do you mean by that statement?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Freitag, 13. Juni 2014 18:34