none
The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state

Frage

• My secondary DPM server that is protecting my primary dpm 2010 server just started to fail out of the blue with the following error. This is occuring to every single protection group and member. From the primary DPM server, I'm able to create recovery points and restore without any problems.

If I try to modify the protection group from my secondary DPM server, it fails to connect and tells me to make sure that the agent is installed and working. There are no errors on the primary DPM server or on any of the servers that I'm protecting. Restarting both DPM servers don't resolve the issue. I haven't had a chance to restart any of the production servers. This will need to be done at night.

I've tried running consistensy checks and recover points and nothing works.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreaciate it.

Thanks!

Affected area: SQL01\Consumer(SQL01.DOMAIN.COM)
    Occurred since: 6/21/2012 9:49:54 AM
    Description: DPM could not start a recovery, consistency check, or initial replica creation job for SQL Server 2005 database SQL01\Fields_Consumer(SQL01.DOMAIN.COM) on DPM01.DOMAIN.COM for following reason:
     (ID 3170)
     The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. Either it was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current operation. (ID 30111 Details: VssError:An error was detected in the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). The problem occurred while trying to contact VSS writers.
    Please verify that the Event System service and the VSS service are running and check for associated errors in the event logs.
     (0x80042318))
     More information
    Recommended action: Please check that the Event Service, the VSS service and the shadow copy provider service is running, and check for errors associated with these services in the Application Event Log on the server DPM01.DOMAIN.COM. Please allow 10 minutes for VSS to repair itself and then retry the operation.
    For more information on this error, go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=132612.
     Run configure protection job again...
    Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
     Inactivate alert

Mike

Donnerstag, 21. Juni 2012 14:02

Antworten

• I believe I found the problem. The DPM Writer service failed to start even after 2 reboots. Once I manual started the service, I was able to run a consistency check.

I hope this helps someone else out.

Mike

Mike

• Als Antwort markiert Mike9 Donnerstag, 21. Juni 2012 14:50
    Donnerstag, 21. Juni 2012 14:50

Alle Antworten

• The other item I forgot to mention is that there are no errors appear in any log on my protected servers. The agent status is "OK" on all DPM servers.

Mike

Donnerstag, 21. Juni 2012 14:18
  • I believe I found the problem. The DPM Writer service failed to start even after 2 reboots. Once I manual started the service, I was able to run a consistency check.

I hope this helps someone else out.

Mike

Mike

• Als Antwort markiert Mike9 Donnerstag, 21. Juni 2012 14:50
    Donnerstag, 21. Juni 2012 14:50
  • Thanks - I had this same issue. Restarted the VSS Writers nad backups resumed.

-John

Mittwoch, 15. August 2012 14:19