none
Backup Question regarding SBS 2011 Backup failing insufficient space - error code 2155348249

Frage

• System is SBS 2011 Premium 64 bit running Exchange and SQL...

It is back again.  My backups have been going well and then Friday I decided to use OWA locally to access a users email book to help them locate some items.  This office does not use OWA at this point, so this, I believe somehow contributed to the "System Reserved" area getting too full to allow a shadow copy to occur and thus stopping my backups in their tracks later that evening.  Maybe some logs or such in the initialization of the OWA component.  So, I have been trying to get around having to fix the System Reserved manually, just do not want to break the server to fix the backups.

In retracing what I did last time, I went ahead and ran the "PSCONFIG upgrade in place" command that one normally does after applying Sharepoint SP1 which ran successfully, and then stopped and restarted the W3SVC.

I am running a "Backup Once" tonight of the OS partition and the Data Drive.  I have full (bare metal) backups as of Friday Morning.  So, my questions are:

1) With these 2 sets of backups in place, can I be confident that I have something to recover with if a catastophy strikes between now and my ultimately getting the backups on track again.

2) Last time this occurred, the System Reserved issue fixed itself after I had unintentionally removed the scheduled backup when attempted to set up a one time backup.  Does it make any sense that doing so (resetting the scheduled backups) could somehow fix the "system reserved too full for shadow copy creation" problem?

Thanks for your input.

Patrick Hackett

Dienstag, 17. September 2013 23:00

Antworten

• Thanks Andy,

I decided that since this was the System Reserved area and I had not worked with it before, that I would call MS support and get it done. So, I did and it is done.  I appreciate your efforts in getting someone involved.

Regards,

Patrick

Patrick Hackett

Montag, 30. September 2013 20:26

Alle Antworten

• As I mentioned previously, my backups are failing after using OWA for the first time. The error code listed above  seems to point to the system reserved partition being too full to allow the creation of a shadow copy for backup.  It is 100MB with 6% available. I have found the following suggested method for cleaning it up from another thread. My question is, is this a straightforward method of simply going into diskmanagement right clicking and assigning (add ) a drive letter and subsequently "removing: the drive letter ( like one would in windows 7 for instance)?  Are there other things I could try first?   Thanks.

---From http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9b6cdd2c-7e3e-47d5-9188-52fbdd8bf52c/sbs-2011-backup-failing-insufficient-space-error-code-2155348249  :

Quote:

There are two approach to resolve this issue . I would recommend if you can try the first the apporoach

The system reserved partition  (100 MB) had some files from which are  taking up the space. You are not allowed to keep any data in the system reserved volume. You should not have anything else than the files below

$RECYCLE.BIN
    Boot
    bootmgr
    BOOTSECT.BAK
    System Volume Information
                   2 File(s)        391,754 bytes
                   3 Dir(s)      73,777,152 bytes free

1. Give a drive letter to the System reserved partition
    2. Open a Command prompt with Administrative privileges
    3. CD into the drive and try dir /a
    4. Locate the unwanted folders and move them or delete them out of the system reserved partition.  Please ensure DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING THAT IS SIMILAR TO THE 5 FILESI have MENTIONED ABOVE otherwise it will cause a no boot situation.
    5. Try a WBAdmin system state backup.
    6. If successful , Remove the Drive letter from the system reserved partition.

If this approach does not work let me know.

--end quote..

Patrick Hackett

Mittwoch, 18. September 2013 23:14
  • Hi ,

Thank you for posting your issue in the forum.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Sonntag, 22. September 2013 09:17
  • Hi,

For this issue, you can use the below command line to move diff data from system reserved drive to drive c, you do need to delete every shadow copy on system reserved drive:

vssadmin add ShadowStorage /For=S: /On=C: /MaxSize=1000MB.

More information here:

Vssadmin add shadowstorage

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788051.aspx

Hope this helpful.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. 

Montag, 23. September 2013 10:23
  • Thanks Andy,

I decided that since this was the System Reserved area and I had not worked with it before, that I would call MS support and get it done. So, I did and it is done.  I appreciate your efforts in getting someone involved.

Regards,

Patrick

Patrick Hackett

Montag, 30. September 2013 20:26