Received Error 868" The remote connection was not made because the name of the remote access server did not resolve.
Donnerstag, 18. März 2010 16:26I was trying to establish the connection toa VPN networ, but received the following error "Received Error 868" The remote connection was not made because the name of the remote access server did not resolve.". 1 if my co-workers and checked the server name to ensure that I've got the correct one in. It is right. Any direction on how to resolve it will be great.
Montag, 22. März 2010 10:50Moderator
Thank you for the post.
Before going any further, I’d like to confirm the following questions:
1. where does this error message come from? From Server? Or from the client machine?
2. What type of VPN you have set up? Site to Site? Or Remote Access VPN?PPTP or L2TP?
3. What is your network topology? Do you use ISA(TMG) as the VPN Server or any other 3-party router?
4. What version of you ISA server? And what version of your client machines?
5. Does issue occur to all of the client machines or just a few users?
Nick Gu - MSFT
Mittwoch, 24. März 2010 13:22
I am recieving the same error on a windows 7 x64 pro platform. Though this error is replicated on windows xp x32 as well. Using the windows sbs 2003 inharant VPN connection having it try to auto negotiate the connection type.
In windows 7 I manually created a vpn connection to my work computer using the information from another tech dock to connect through the RWW wepage being https://company.com/remote or remote.companyname.com either way does not work it resolved a DNS error.
The VPN connection states that it has opened the port to the server but it is unable to resolve the DNS server name and gives it with error 868. I have re-checked the information on the server's dns settings as well as the servers vpn / routing and remote access / as well as the dhcp settings. I know server's internally in a company but i am not at all versed with remote conections or VPN connections. I am needing to get a VPN solution in place for 3 remote people one of which is in a different state to be able to get shared drive resources.
Any and all information would be very helpful whereas i am completely lost and need to get this setup relatively soon.
Mittwoch, 28. April 2010 22:55
please any one help if know the solution for the above question i too face the same problem
Freitag, 30. April 2010 14:48
- name you are tyring to connect resolves to correct IP of the VPN Server whcih you want to connect. Try connecting by IP instead.
- Are you doing a PPTP or L2TP? Try doing a PPTP, just to ensure a connectivity. Do a telent to 1723 from the client to see if its open. GRE can be checked thru PPTPPing tool or thru the traces. (it should fail at first phase).
- On the server, do a "netstat -ano" from command port and check if 1723 is open.
- Check the RRAS console to see if the PPTP ports are listed for the machines to connect.
- Disabled all third party, specially Antivirus/firewall on the client using MSCONFIG and from device manager. Try connecting now.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
- Als Antwort markiert James KilnerMicrosoft Contingent Staff, Owner Dienstag, 28. September 2010 07:59