none
SBS 2008. Failed backup and Reports.

Frage

• I have SBS 2008 Std SP2 and fully patched. Recently the backup failed, and a couple of days later I stopped receiving the daily Network reports.

Presently the SBS console is inviting me to configure the backup (it was configured and working previously). However when I start the backup configuration I get a popup “The wizard cannot retrieve backup settings”.

If I go to Admin tools…Windows Server backup it fails with A fatal error occurred during a Windows Server Backup snap-in operation. Error details: Reading events from the event log failed (The specified channel could not be found. Check channel configuration) . Make sure the Event Log service is running.

Have checked this service, and it is running. I’m able to read the event log.  

Regarding the reports, when I run "generate and e-mail a report" it starts OK, but crashes the console.

I have tried to repair the console but receive Error 2920. Even copied the DVD content to a local drive but still Error 2920.

At this present time getting the backup working again is the priority, and then the reports.

One thing I did notice in the System log was Event ID 5. Kernel-General.

Description:

{Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.

This is logged twice following a server re-start and so far I’ve seen this pair of events twice, following two separate re-starts., with two days in between.

Another reason methinks to get the backup working again.

Any pointers as to where to go next much appreciated.

TIA

Montag, 28. Mai 2012 20:25

Alle Antworten

• Hi Andy, it seems there are two different issues in the post, I suggest you focusing on the backup issue first. You can post a separate one regarding SBS monitoring and reporting in the forum later.

For the backup issue, have you checked the following KB article?

SBS 2008 | Configure Server backup | The wizard cannot retrieve backup settings

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2001010 

Sean Zhu

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sean Zhu

TechNet Community Support

Dienstag, 29. Mai 2012 03:10
  • Thanks Sean, but I have tried that one. I remember searching the SBCW.log for matches, but did'nt find any. But I completed the procedure regardless. I recall before that, running a manual backup would crash the console. Afterwards the console didn't crash, but I got the noted backup error.

Rgds Andy

Dienstag, 29. Mai 2012 16:54
  • Hi Andy, the "Configure server backup" wizard log - SBCW.log is under "C:\Program files\Windows Small Business Server\Logs" . If it is not available, you can try to rerun the backup wizard. If any error occurs, it should be logged in the SBCW.log. You can then upload the log and we can help to have check. Thanks.

Sean Zhu

Donnerstag, 31. Mai 2012 08:03
  • Thanks again Sean. The log is quite large, so I've put it here http://www.iland3.plus.com/SBCW.log rather than copy and past it into the thread. Hopefully this will be OK?

Interpreting it is beyond me, so your help in looking at it is appreciated.

Regards.

Donnerstag, 31. Mai 2012 08:32
  • An exception of type 'Type: Microsoft.SnapIns.Backup.UI.Proxy.BlockLevelBackupException, blbproxycmdlet, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' has occurred.
    Timestamp: 05/28/2012 20:47:20
    Message: QueryEventLog failed due to error: EEventLogQueryFailed (0x80073a9f).

[11364] 120528.204716.0338: General: Initializing...C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Bin\SBCW.exe
    [6948] 120528.204719.6102: Storage: Found valid target disk: DiskName=Seagate Portable USB Device, DiskId=2fcf797a-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    [6948] 120528.204719.7472: Storage: Found valid source volume: VolumeLabel=System + Exchange, MountPath=C:
    [6948] 120528.204719.7472: Storage: Found valid source volume: VolumeLabel=Swap File, MountPath=D:
    [6948] 120528.204719.7472: Storage: Found valid source volume: VolumeLabel=Client Data, MountPath=E:
    [6948] 120528.204719.8372: Storage: Found the current policy
    [6948] 120528.204719.8402: Storage: Found valid external target disk: DiskName=Seagate Portable USB Device, DiskId=2fcf797a-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
    [6948] 120528.204720.2462: Storage: Terminating error in Get-WBSummary: Microsoft.SnapIns.Backup.UI.Proxy.BlockLevelBackupException: QueryEventLog failed due to error: EEventLogQueryFailed (0x80073a9f).

Hi Andy, I have found the above error message in the log file. It looks similar as the error in the KB article but ended with a different cause "Microsoft.SnapIns.Backup.UI.Proxy.BlockLevelBackupException: QueryEventLog failed". So the solution in the KB article may not apply to the issue.

I suggest you temporarily disable UAC on the server and see if it still crashes backup wizard.

Thanks.

Sean Zhu

Freitag, 1. Juni 2012 03:02
  • Hi Sean. Just checked this eve as I knew changing UAC would require a re-start, and it is already turned off.

Rgds Andy

Freitag, 1. Juni 2012 17:27
  • Hi Sean. I had occasion to do a couple of server re-starts yesterday.

Checking the Server System log, I’m still getting the double instance of the Kernel-General Error Event ID 5 as noted earlier in this thread.

Registry hive (file): '\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.

I also have Event ID 20. Source Event Log. The event logging service encountered an error 15007 while obtaining or processing configuration for channel Microsoft-Windows-Backup. A clue to the backup issue I’m experiencing?

The above are regulars following a re-start, as I had to do more than one.

Rgds

Sonntag, 3. Juni 2012 08:05
  • Hi Andy,

Could you please upload the system event(with .csv format)and the screenshot of error message  to the public space for further information?

Thanks.

Kevin Ni

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Montag, 4. Juni 2012 08:50
  • Thanks Kevin

I've placed everything here http://www.iland3.plus.com/SBS/ and have for clarity moved the SBCW log here too.

I think I've sorted everything you requested, but if not then please do let me know.

Regards Andy

Dienstag, 5. Juni 2012 09:24
  • Greetings Sean / Kevin

Were you able to conclude anything from the data I uploaded?

I feel that I ought to be sorting this backup soon as it is now some weeks since it last ran.

Regards

Andy

Sonntag, 10. Juni 2012 16:42