none
Backing up to disk for offsite using dpmbackup

Frage

• We have always maintained a complete set of backups of our company servers offsite. We are looking at DPM 2012 as a replacement to our existing system but I haven't found an elegant way to transfer a copy of our latest backup to a removable drive. DPM 2012 is very tape-centric, but this is not a technology we would like to use. I see references to using dpmbackup -replicas to create a shadow copy of our replicas and when I run the command I indeed get the following mount:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\File System\vol_78c204a2-d5bb...... (long letter and number string)

But, now I'm stuck and am not sure how to proceed

• The file size for the folder shown is almost 1 TB
    • If I drill into that folder, there just a few .xml files totalling a few kilobytes
    • How do I transfer a copy of this 'Shadow' to a location on a removable disk (not tape)
    • I've seen references to 'third party' software to accomplish this, but none was named - what could I use?

On a slightly different tack - when I run dpmbackup -replicas is it making a shadow copy that incorporates the original replica and all the changes to date?

Claude Jones Leesburg, VA

• Bearbeitet ClaudeJones Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2012 17:55
    Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2012 17:43

Antworten

• Hi,

If the full folder is hidden, use: xcopy *.* /s/h/c <Drive Letter>:\

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

• Als Antwort markiert ClaudeJones Freitag, 6. Juli 2012 13:20
    Freitag, 6. Juli 2012 11:51

Alle Antworten

• Hi Claude,

Explanation from Mike jacquet:

Dpmbackup -replicas creates snapshots of the replica volumes and mounts those read-only snapshots under the Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy folder.  So yes, that is a point in time "view" of your replica data and you can copy it out of the snapshots to a removable disk, or to tape to take them offsite.    Each time you run dpmbackup -replicas, new shapshots get taken and exposed, so they are only current based on the time you ran dpmbackup, and will get deleted based on the retention period of the PG's.

1. Run DPMBackup.exe –replica
    2. Use Xcopy to copy the data from the C:\Program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy to your removable disk.

Technet link : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795753.aspx

(Works also for DPM 2010/2012)

Stephane.

Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2012 19:14
  • Hello Stephane:

Thanks for responding. I had actually found that page previously, that you linked to. It doesn't mention xcopy, nor is it specific about what backup tool to use - it's why I asked here. Either I'm doing something wrong, or xcopy doesn't work. I have also tried a copy/paste of the shadowcopy folder using Windows Explorer and I have tried using Windows Backup. None of these methods work.

• The folder C:\Program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy has two sub-folders, 'File System' and 'Database Backups' after running "DPMbackup.exe -replicas".
    • The database folder is empty, but if I open the file system folder, there's an object there with a name that begins with 'vol' followed by a long string of numbers and letters, with an indicated file size of nearly 1 TB - I'm viewing this in Windows Explorer. If I double click that object it opens and displays two items: a file with name ending in 'checkpoint' of indicated size of one 1 kb and a folder with a name that's just a string of letters and numbers; opening this folder reveals three small .xml files of total size of about 6 kb.
    • No matter which method I use to backup, the only things that get copied to my removable disk are these 4 small files and associated folders even though that first object, inside the file system folder, with the name that begins with 'vol' says its nearly 1 TB in size.

Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2012 20:14
  • Hi Claude,

You will have to retrieve source path by browsing until you find your datas, then use this path with Xcopy.

(Checkpoint,XML file,... are "metadata" used by snapshot process)

Example with file data:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin>xcopy "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM
    \Volumes\ShadowCopy\File System\vol_050a9555-4637-4135-b531-8aaf3ca2636d\31bdc18
    2-faf9-414a-835d-ea7c54cc2948\Full" c:\test\*.* /s

Will copy all directory and subdirectories under this path

... Result ...

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\File System\vol_050a9555-4
    637-4135-b531-8aaf3ca2636d\31bdc182-faf9-414a-835d-ea7c54cc2948\Full\Sources\eul
    a.1028 - Copy.txt
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\File System\vol_050a9555-4
    637-4135-b531-8aaf3ca2636d\31bdc182-faf9-414a-835d-ea7c54cc2948\Full\Sources\eul
    a.1028.txt

Stephane

Freitag, 15. Juni 2012 09:41
  • Stephane:

I've browsed all those folders below 'File system', and I'm not seeing any file or folder called 'Full' - I issued the exact command you suggested with the following result - could it be a problem with the shadow copy itself? The command I issued to create it was 'dpmbackup -replicas'

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin>xcopy "C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\File System\vol_78c204a2-d5bb-4abd-bc8f-7485f9cd7bfc\355a2adb-7611-4528-b94b-4b4a8c07f683\Full" e:
    0 File(s) copied                                                                                                                                                                        *******************************************************************************************************

Freitag, 15. Juni 2012 13:54
  • Hi Claude,

your command "DPMBACKUP -replicas" is correct.

I could be wrong but you must have a folder called "Full"... I checked (DPM 2010) for File system, Hyper-V, Exchange and SQL datas and I always have this folder ?

For File data, Could you verify that the snapshot is successful, you must see this comment in your command prompt :

Replica of Volume x: on server xxxxxxxxx: Snapshot Successful

Stephane

Freitag, 15. Juni 2012 14:36
  • Stephane:

Thanks for you ongoing help.

• there is definitely no folder called 'Full'
    • I do get that 'Snapshot successful message

Here's my folder structure:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\File System

|_____vol_78c204a2-d5bb-4abd-bc8f-7485f9cd7bfc

..........|______{355a2adb-7611-4528-b94b-4b4a8c07fc83}checkpoint

..........|______355a2adb-7611-4528-b94b-4b4a8c07fc83

......................|______DatasetContextInformation.xml

......................|______DatasourceProtectionIntent.xml

......................|______DatasourceVolumeMapping.xml

Freitag, 15. Juni 2012 15:28
  • I have the same issue, can't see the FULL folder on the replica or shadow volume.

You can browse this FULL folder by typing the full path on the windows explorer or "DIR /A" on the cli.

khris

Freitag, 6. Juli 2012 10:27
  • Hi,

If the full folder is hidden, use: xcopy *.* /s/h/c <Drive Letter>:\

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

• Als Antwort markiert ClaudeJones Freitag, 6. Juli 2012 13:20
    Freitag, 6. Juli 2012 11:51
  • Thanks to Khrisme and Stephane: I'd actually finally figured out the fact that the files and folders were there but hidden.

Freitag, 6. Juli 2012 13:34