none
WSUS downloads ALL updates even though classifications are unchecked.

Frage

• I have setup a new WSUS server. It is completely up to date. 

Issue: Under classifications I have only critical updates, Security updates, Update rollups and Updates checked. Languages are set to English only.
    However when it pulls the updates from Microsoft it pulls down everything... (ie: Tools, Drivers.. etc)  all the ones i have unchecked. It correctly downloads the Products specified... but all unchecked classifications are still pulled down from Microsoft. I have made it show all the updates it has downloaded and it shows tonnes of Device drivers (Radeon ATI etc)... This is definitely an un-ticked option under classifications. 

I note however that it pulls correctly the checked Product selections. It is only Classifications that is the issue.

Enviroment: Windows 2008 R2 x64. WSUS Version: 3.2.7600.226. It has all updates applied to it. This exists in a Single Domain structure on Windows 2008 R2. Its is the Master WSUS Server.

Does anyone know why it would pull down un-ticked updates?

Thanks for your time.

• Bearbeitet BenHewitt Dienstag, 25. Juni 2013 03:01
    Montag, 24. Juni 2013 21:42

Antworten

• Did you have these classifications unchecked from the very beginning?  If you did a synchronization first before deselecting drivers, tools, etc., then those updates that you pulled down will be kept until they have been declined (or expired) for 30 days and you then run the first option under the Server Cleanup Wizard.

If this is what happened in your case and you need to get rid of them sooner, then I recommend using Rune Skillingstad's method for deleting them via powershell:
    http://runesk.blogspot.com/2012/09/delete-oldunwanted-updates-from-wsus.html

Note: I think his script has an error or makes some bad assumptions.  The second comment in the comments section (user "krumpaul") has a corrected version that worked well for me, with some modifications.  If you need other criteria besides classification, then you can find other properties here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb294965%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Colin

• Als Antwort markiert BenHewitt Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2013 23:03
    Dienstag, 25. Juni 2013 16:49

Alle Antworten

• Did you have these classifications unchecked from the very beginning?  If you did a synchronization first before deselecting drivers, tools, etc., then those updates that you pulled down will be kept until they have been declined (or expired) for 30 days and you then run the first option under the Server Cleanup Wizard.

If this is what happened in your case and you need to get rid of them sooner, then I recommend using Rune Skillingstad's method for deleting them via powershell:
    http://runesk.blogspot.com/2012/09/delete-oldunwanted-updates-from-wsus.html

Note: I think his script has an error or makes some bad assumptions.  The second comment in the comments section (user "krumpaul") has a corrected version that worked well for me, with some modifications.  If you need other criteria besides classification, then you can find other properties here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb294965%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Colin

• Als Antwort markiert BenHewitt Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2013 23:03
    Dienstag, 25. Juni 2013 16:49
  • Well when I installed it i configured it originally through the Configuration wizard... so i checked what i wanted under products and classifications and let it go for it. It pulled the products correctly but ALL classifications. I ahve since rebuilt a server (As i was forced to assign way to much SAN disk originally) Went through the process again and it worked correctly.

So yea i can't say for certain but i have resolved the problem.. but It was probably a fault with the biological matter between the chair and the computer.

Thanks for your help.

Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2013 23:03