none
Post only SP 2007 or earlier version question here

Alle Antworten

• OK then. Two questions:

1. Where IS the forum for questions pertaining to Excel Services in Sharepoint 2010?
    2. Why is there a link to this forum from Excel Services Blogs, Forums, and Resources (Sharepoint 2010)?

ObjectStorageHelper<T> – A WinRT utility for Windows 8 | http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson/ | @jamiet | About me
    Jamie Thomson

Sonntag, 19. Februar 2012 08:57
  • Sonntag, 19. Februar 2012 09:02
  • The short answers to your questions are

1. The SP 2010 Setup, Upgrade, *Admin* forum is the nearest SP 2010 forum.

2. Whoever put this link there got it wrong.

But you deserve a longer explanation so here it is.

When SP 2010 was about to go into public beta the development team - who had already decided to have new forums for the SP 2010 products - consulted with various people including me (in an hour long [for me] evening telephone conversation) about the names of those additional forums and what forums would be needed.

From that conversation I know that the original intention was to first setup the four main SP 2010 forums (with names similar but improved on the names of the four main existing SP forums) and to later add four additional SP 2010 forums. One of those was intended to be for SP 2010 BI questions and would cover questions that earlier had been asked in the existing BDC, BI and Excel Services forums.

As things turned out, those four additional SP 2010 forums never were created which left only four SP 2010 forums and all the existing forums. Around the time the SP 2010 products came out, the names of all the existing SP forums were changed so that they all incorporated the text "pre-SharePoint 2010" in the Title of each forum.

This led to the present situation where there is one set of SharePoint 2010 forums with four (sub-)forums each of which say SharePoint 2010 in the (sub-)forum title and a second set of ca 13 SharePoint forums each of which say "pre-SharePoint 2010" in the forum title.

If there is a question of any kind from someone running SP 2010, then it goes only to one of the four SP 2010 forums - in each case to the most suitable one for the particular question.

If there is a question about a SP product prior to SP 2010 it goes only to one of the 13 (?) pre-SP 2010 forums. Because there is a greater choice there, this means that a MOSS 2007 Excel Services question can go to the pre-SP 2010 Excel Services forum.

But because this is clearly specified as a forum for pre-SP 2010 products (and is in the set of forums where all the forums are clearly specified as being for pre-SP 2010 products), that forum is only for MOSS 2007 Excel Services questions (SPS 2003 and other earlier SP products didn't have Excel Services).

-----------------------------------

As for you other question about the incorrect link, this won't by any means be the first time that a Microsoft web site has pointed to an incorrect forum. (They also often have incorrect SP product names such as "Windows SharePoint Server" in web pages and KB article).

-----------------------------------

I am aware that the fact there is no more a specific forum for SP 2010 Excel Services questions is a bitch but while I was Moderator in the pre-SP 2010 forums, all I could do was follow the rules set down by Microsoft when they set-up the new SP 2010 forums and re-named the old forums to be for pre-SP 2010 products only.

About a week or so ago, I in fact posted a reply in a Forums Issues (or Suggestions for the Forums) forum thread talking about the problems with having different forums for different products and specifically mentioned the SP 2010 BI problem there. I'll try to add the link to this post via Edit if I find it again so you know that I am aware of the problem even if I then (and certainly now, as I am no longer a Moderator) could do nothing about it.

Mike

Later: Here's the link to that thread where you can see that I was concerned about this issue.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/suggest/thread/bb3a9304-58d9-48b4-aa9b-4a7972552a04

(from Feb 10th 2012)

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

• Bearbeitet Mike Walsh FIN Sonntag, 19. Februar 2012 11:30 Link added as originally stated in text
    Sonntag, 19. Februar 2012 11:23
  • Hi Mike,

First off, thank you so much for the incredibly detailed reply (even though it has left me slightly bewildered). 

When I first saw your reply here I wrongly assumed that you were a MSFT guy so my apologies for making that assumption.

I'll go and take a read of your other thread and also see if I can find a pertinent forum on the dedicated SP2010 forums for posting my Excel Services question (which, in case anyone is interested, is in regard to the Excel Services REST API not seeming to behave as expected on Office365).

Regards
    Jamie

ObjectStorageHelper<T> – A WinRT utility for Windows 8 | http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson/ | @jamiet | About me
    Jamie Thomson

Sonntag, 19. Februar 2012 11:52
  • Jamie,

This is really sad.  Let me trace your steps...you start in Office Developer community Excel 2010 Dev forum, which is logical cuz, after all, you're  looking for support for something called Excel Service Rest Application Programming Interface.  There you're told to try Office365 sharepoint dev forum, where you did a quick search which turned up nothing re: REST API, so you can't be in the right place yet.  So you google Excel Service Forumn and you get here...finally you found a forum named after the exact product for which you need support.  BUT there's a pinned post reading, This is not for Sharepoint 2010, you scratch your head and engage the moderators for an explanation.  And you sure do get one, perhaps more than you wanted to know, except there is still no forum for your question.

Bummer,  I was looking forward to your blog about Excel REST API, instead, no fault of your own I suspect we may get a new rant regarding lack of forums & support.

With Sharepoint being a part of everything web relating to MS Office, the lines are blured, it's not even clear we're using sharepoint at times.   They really need to get these forums fixed, especially links to the forums from the product pages.

Best of luck,

Josh

Dienstag, 21. Februar 2012 17:34
  • Don't worry Josh, the temper is under control today so I'm not prepared to rant quite yet :)

Your summing up is pertty much spot on though - this aint a good situation.

This REST API blog post is still WIP :)

Jamie Thomson

Dienstag, 21. Februar 2012 17:39
  • it's not even clear we're using sharepoint at times.   

Its actually rather refreshing to hear that from someone that is familiar with Sharepoint because I am constantly wondering the same thing. For example, the lines between Exel Web App & Excel Services are not exactly clear to me and I'm not sure what parts of those products are part of Sharepoint and what are not. Very confusing.

Jamie Thomson

Dienstag, 21. Februar 2012 17:41
  • It looks like your trail is even longer....You find out that the 'Setup, Upgrade, *Admin' forum recommended in this thread by (a past) moderator who seems to know the most about the dire situation with sharepoint forums is not the correct place to be.  You finally find your destination aptly called Sharepoint 2010 Programming which is described as the place to" 'Discuss using Visual Studio and other programming with SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint services such as Access Services, BCS, Excel Services and Visio Services' only to be told an incorrect answer to your question, which is followed by the moderator directing you to another incorrect old Online Services forums (pre-office 365).

Are you ready to rant yet?

I don't mind sharepoint being transparently behind the tech that's brings office to the web, but when I need support please don't suddenly make that unknown fact required knowledge.  And after forcing me to gain that knowledge, please allow me to travel to the respective forum.  and when I get to that illusive destination, please give me the correct answer.  And by correct answer, I don't mean 'try this other forum'  and if that is the only answer due to my errant wandering travels, please make sure you provide the correct destination.

• Bearbeitet joshbooker Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2012 16:00
    Dienstag, 21. Februar 2012 18:03
  • Are you ready to rant yet?

I am now that I've read your appraisal of it :)

Jamie Thomson

Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2012 12:52
  • >You find out that the 'Setup, Upgrade, *Admin' forum recommended in this thread by the moderator who seems to know the most about the dire situation with sharepoint forums is not the correct place to be.

I was replying as a (then) Moderator of the *pre-SP 2010* forums not as an expert on the SP 2010 forums.

As such I knew that any SP 2010 question did not belong in the pre-SP 2010 forums, I agree with you that a SP 2010 *Programming* question about SP 2010 Excel Services should go to SP 2010 Programming rather than to SP 2010 Setup/Admin but - again not as an expert on the divisions between the various SP 2010 forums - my assumption would be that questions on the usage (= non-programming) of  2010 Excel Services would go to the Admin forum.

As for the suggestion of the SharePoint Online forumwhich I made

a) I tried hard to say that I *thought* this was also for Office 365/SP questions too.

b) I was unaware that the starter of this thread had started out by posting there - otherwise clearly I wouldn't have suggested it to him.

Mike Walsh (ex-whipping boy who is going to remove all his forum alerts)

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2012 15:35
  • Hi Mike,

No offence (lashes) intended, your contribution to the community is masively beneficial and of course you're not to blame for the sharepoint forum debacle.

Perhaps if your forum alerts linked to and described the 4+ SP2010 forums, it would help the wanderers and those sent astray by bogus links to forums from the 2010 product pages.

Keep up the good work!

Josh

Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2012 15:57