none
DPM 2012 Icremental backups on multiple servers in one protection group.

Frage

• I have setup one protection group and added 6 SQL servers with their databases for backup on DPM 2012. The recovery model on all Db's are full. For some reason the 15 min incremental backups does not create recovery points, even though every 15 min recovery point jobs run for all the SQL databases.

Do I have to setup a protection group for every SQL server that is going to be protected in order to do incremental backups or am I missing something?

The protection group as now with all 6 SQL servers added are only doing full express backups.  

Freitag, 15. Juni 2012 11:37

Alle Antworten

• Hi TheoHolder,

You could set several SQL databases even with differents recovery model (Simple or full) in one Protection Group. DPM will correctly deal with every Recovery Model.

Do you have any error message ?

In Recovery tab, if you select one of your SQL database could you tell what you see ? Only Full express backup ? 

Stephane

Freitag, 15. Juni 2012 12:59
  • Yes I know that one can set several SQL databases in one protection group. My question is can you set several SQL Servers, I.e server1 with 30 SQL bases, server2 with 15 bases, server3 with 20 bases and so on or do I have to create a protection group for each SQL server in order for the incremental backups to work?

In the recovery for all databases it only list the full express backup time for recovery, so I have set the protection group for 15 min incremental and one full express @ 8:00pm everyday. Recovery is only available for 8:00pm.

In the jobs pane every 15 min all the SQL databases in my protection group will run a recovery point and count data, but when looking in recovery only full express time is available.

Freitag, 15. Juni 2012 13:38
  • Yes I know that one can set several SQL databases in one protection group. My question is can you set several SQL Servers, I.e server1 with 30 SQL bases, server2 with 15 bases, server3 with 20 bases and so on or do I have to create a protection group for each SQL server in order for the incremental backups to work?

You don't have to create a PG for each SQL server in order to have incremental backups to work.

Again, DPM will correctly deal with each SQL DB Recovery Model in your PG.

SQL DB in recovery Full will have incremental and Full express backup.

SQL DB in recovery Simple will have only Full express backup.

Could you try to do manual Recovery point on one of your SQL DB (Recovery model full) by using "create a recovery point by using incremental backup" ? Does it work ? Do you see RP in Recovery tab ?

Stephane

Stephane.

Freitag, 15. Juni 2012 15:10