none
Using MDT to create base wim in Hyper-V

Question

• Issue is that while creating a base wim file Windows 7 x64 or x86 using MDT and Hyper-V VM for some reason it is installing the Dell touchpad and Synoptic's software into the VM build.  We have been building base builds like this for years using VMware and never saw this issue.  Just recently we switched over to using Hyper-V for vm machines and now these software packages are being installed from the out of the box drivers even when the drivers are not selected.  It seems that Hyper-V picks up and installs both the touchpad and the Synopitc's software since they show up in the "add-remove programs" list after the build is complete.  Now if I uninstall the software it does not get reinstalled unless I add it to a task sequence in SCCM but MDT seems to do this automatically.

I have tested this many times and what I see is that for whatever reason Hyper-V see's the Touchpad software and the Synoptic's and installs them.  It installs both of them, now I do not know if it is a setting that I don't know about ?? 

Also let me be more specific in that creating the build from MDT it installs the "Dell TouchPad" and Synoptic "Applications" the mouse is still set for HID compliant and PS/2

• Edited by gomentmule Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:55 PM
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What I think you need to do is create a driver selection profile, Johan Arwidmark has written a great blog about it: MDT 2010 Lite Touch Driver Management so this way you only target Hyper-V driver's for Hyper-V machines, and Dell Drivers for Dell Hardware.

Because now all possible drivers that are matching with the system are being installed, installed from the pool 'all drivers'. If you create a Hyper-V and a Dell driver pool, and target this with selection profiles, you make sure your driver targeting is bounded by the drivers that originate within the selection profile.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 12:36 PM
  • I needed to be more specific with my issue.  In that the application for those devices is being installed automatically, in which they show up in the "Add-Remove" programs list.  However under the hardware devices it still shows the mouse as HID compliant or PS/2 compatible.  So using a profile pretty much doesn't work in this case because we have done this several times and using profile selection did not work.  It still installs the application in particular.

Thanks 

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:00 PM
  • Did you embed the installation of these applications in your deployment task sequence? Because then a WMI query/condition on the "Install Application" Step would suffice.

Perform the following query in a command prompt on your hardware and virtual machine:

"wmic computersystem get model"

then use the result to target applications based on this query with a condition.

If any or all of these rules apply install the software. Then use the following WMI query:

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem where MODEL = "%Latitude E%"

or

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem where MODEL = "Hyper-V"

This way you can target applications only if the requirements of the query are met.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Nothing but standard defaults for this task, no installation of any applications removed everything but the default settings.  I understand what your saying but nothing is being installed as you can see below.  Everything below Opt In to CEIP is disabled.  Once the build is complete up pops the Synoptic and TouchPad applications listed in the Add Remove Programs list.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Hi thanks for your reply. I understand the issue is concerning the Synoptics and Dell touchpad driver, which seem to me are part of the mouse/touchpad and keyboard drivers of certain hardware models. Who is to say, that these executables are not installed automatically when the mouse / touchpad hardware is beïng installed.

My suggestion would be that you check out your "out-of-the-box drivers" folder within the .\deploymentshare\ to look for anything 'strange', I can imagine that when importing the hardware drivers these executables where also copied, and being called and installed each time you do a Windows deployment where mouse / and touchpad drivers are being used.

It looks the same to me, when you install the drivers manually on a freshly installed machine, once you point the device manager for the driver target folder and this folder contains synaptic and touchpad drivers, the accompanied software of these drivers is also installed.

In that case I would look again to targeting the drivers for hyper-v and other hardware models separated.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:54 PM
  • What I don't get is if it's "injecting" drivers why would it install the application when neither of these drivers are present or needed in a Hyper-V environment?  It also seems to pickup and install the application even when a profile is selected for say VM drivers only.  However if the exe's that are in the .\deploymentshare corresponding folder "input device" are removed it does not install the application.  Need someone from MS familiar with MDT to review and answer that.  Because if you are building a base file and expecting only "drivers" to install NOT applications it will mess your build up.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:34 PM
  • If the executable is part of the driver installation, and MDT installs only applicable driver (and in my opinion a mouse driver/touchpad driver is always applicable) you then need to target these drivers to hardware only. The only way to do that is with driver selection profiles.

Create multiple folders in MDT under "out-of-the-box drivers", called:

• Virtual > Hyper-V
    • Virtual > VMware
    • Platform> Make > Model

Then create corresponding selection profiles and point them to the subfolders within the "out-of-the-box drivers" section.

In you task sequence, repeat the "Inject Drivers" step numerous times if needed, and place an condition on each step:

and this condition:

This way only the desired/required drivers for that model and only the drivers that apply, are injected to the machine. Because otherwise the entire driver pool will be consulted and injected if applicable, and that is what I think is happening to your Hyper-V Virtual Machine!

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Yes know all about doing that and can not use since building this with out the drivers.  Just didn't expect it to install the applications when using a VM.  I think you are correct in that the applications are being installed but what I don't understand is why since it is a Hyper-V VM.  Have not seen this with VMware at all, so I am thinking that Hyper-V is somehow using similar driver so it installs it.  We have the same setup but using VMware and it does not exhibit this behavior.
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:43 PM
  • The easiest way to deal with drivers in virtual environments is to use selection profiles that only include Network and SCSI drivers. 

-Nick O.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:48 PM
  • Right then you install driver support in a separate task.  I am thinking that somehow the driver base has been corrupted by the addition of the drivers that were added. 
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:28 PM
  • If this is the Task Sequence for building your reference image and you are building and capturing on a VM, why not just disable the Driver steps unless you have a need for those drivers to actually be stored in the WIM itself?  I usually only apply drivers (or driver packages) when I'm applying my reference image, not when I'm building it.  Keeps it clean of drivers like these.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:11 AM
    Answerer