none
SBS 2011 installation issue: Microsoft SharePoint Foundation is not configured.

Question

• I’m installing SBS2011 Standard Edition on a Hyper-V 2012 server
    I install the server using an answer file because I don’t like the .local domain name idea… so I use an answer file and a FQDN name in this format: Domain.com.tr
    After the installation is finished there is no SharePoint Configuration and as well as this error in the SBS console:
    Microsoft SharePoint Foundation is not configured.

The funny thing is when I install the SBS server without the answer file everything is OK, but with the answer file and the Domain.com.tr the problem occurs…
    So what should I do?

Monday, January 14, 2013 4:32 PM

Answers

• Did you restart during the setup process this could be a problem.

How did you attach the answerfile to the virtual machine? Best way would be to create a Virtual Floppy file and attach this to the virtual machine.

8 GB would be fine for installation although for product 8GB is not enough, you should go to at least 16GB for a small utilized server or 24GB or even 32GB for a more utilized server.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter

• Marked as answer by Hamed Eshraghi Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:38 AM

All replies

• Hi

.tr is the TLD for Turkey. It is *strongly* recommended by probably everyone that you do NOT use a TLD for your internal domain. That is exactly why .local is suggest as it is non-routable. If you use a routable domain then you can have many problems with DNS and email routing;

Why don't you like it?

Jim

Monday, January 14, 2013 4:44 PM
  • Adding my agreement to Jim's response. Using a TLD for an internal domain name is usually a bad idea.

Steve

Monday, January 14, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Agreeing with Jim and Steve I would recommend you read this blog post: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2008/04/20/geeky-question-of-the-day-why-local-for-the-default-windows-sbs-2008-domain-name-extension.aspx

And especially this part:

When you specify domain information in the Answer File Tool, we recommend that you do not use a public TLD (eg .com). If you really want to do that, we won't prevent this, but keep in mind that this is an advanced configuration that will require you to do additional configuration of your networking on your own.

Regards Ronny
    -------------

Monday, January 14, 2013 6:43 PM
  • OK
    Using a TLD is not recommended
    And it needs some additional configurations in DNS and email routing. It’s ok and I’m familiar with that…
    I have add some DNS records and change the MX records in my External Domain name and I’m OK with that
    And why I don’t like the .local idea, is because I’m extending and publishing the services (Exchange and SharePoint and maybe I would join a MS CRM to this domain) to Internet. If I use the .local FQDN name, the users must have 1 user ID as USERNAMGE@Domain.local and an Email Alias as USERNAME@Domain.com.tr and giving the users 2 things at once is start of the era of having a lot of problems, lots of online an phone troubleshooting and on and on it goes….
    I had this problem when I used a .local name on an Active Directory and Exchange Server which was really a disaster for me and the staff who mainly used the services externally via internet….
    Ok… Back to our problem:
    but what the hell is wrong about the SharePoint configuration? How should I deal with that?
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:47 AM
  • You say "back to our problem" but you really are missing the point. Yes, users have a .local address, but the wizards and basic Exchange setup all handle this for you. Users' external emails all go from and to the .tr address; .local is never seen it's just an internal reference.

"Extending and publishing the services Exchange and Sharepoint". So....the same as everyone else does then! All our SBS installs deal with internet emails, and they all have CompanyWeb for employees which they access across the internet.

I obviously don't have any figures or statistics, but I am willing to bet that 99% of the Exchange installations across the world all have .local. Why do you insist on being different?

I suspect you are breaking things by insisting on "being different", and I think the SharePoint issue will be just the start of your problems. Good luck with it.

Jim

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:00 AM
  • Honestly I don’t get the sarcasm in your reply. What is about the “being different”? I’m not willing to undergo some “Unusual” things to do anything! I want it to be easy and handy (for the IT team and of course the users) and with the minimum effort and on course satisfying the companies IT Policies!

The main scenario demands this kind of configuration. Why?

There different branches of the company in different places in the world. They have registered their name and brand individually so different branches have different names externally so they could not be part of a subdomain. Every branch must have its own name and own root domain name. So in UK is domain is DOMAIN.CO.UK and in Turkey is DOMAIN.COM.TR in China is DOMAIN.CN etc.

Because the turkey branch is a small one, we are planning to use the SBS Server.

Ok, so the SBS Server is tuned and originally based upon a .local FQDN name and it is better and it’s not recommended to use TLD. But having a .local FQDN name is not an option for us.

And it seems YES! “the SharePoint issue will be just the start of MY problems”

Ok! But I have to deal with it if I want to use SBS!

so is there a chance taking control of this or not? 

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:50 AM
  • There was no sarcasm. All i am saying is that you've had three replies from three experienced people, all explaining that you should not use a .tld for a lcoal domain. It just isn't worth the hassle.

"I’m not willing to undergo some “Unusual” things to do anything!" Then install with domain.local. End of story. Nothing about .local will in any way affect how your emails, logins, domains etc work. Users can login using firstname lastname, their email adddress can be domain.tr, they will never see any .local email addresses etc.

"There different branches of the company in different places in the world. They have registered their name and brand individually so different branches have different names externally so they could not be part of a subdomain. Every branch must have its own name and own root domain name. So in UK is domain is DOMAIN.CO.UK and in Turkey is DOMAIN.COM.TR in China is DOMAIN.CN etc."

The domain you use for the internal domain has NOTHING to do with the top-level domain or the email addresses. You can have emails of mycompany.tr and an internal domain of whateveryoulike.local; it doe snot matter, the two are totally separate.

"But having a .local FQDN name is not an option for us." Why? Please explain so we can help?

We're not here to make you feel stupid or to "have a go" at you, we are here to help, and to help we need to fully understand your situation. I can not forsee one single example of why you cannot use xxx.local for the internal domain name, so please clarify why you think differently so that I and others can help.

Many thanks

Jim

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

I have to agree with Jim, please explain why .local is not an option and what problems did you ran into in the past.

At our company we server over 100 customers, SBS and non SBS, and all are have a .local domain name. Because the internal domain name has nothing to do with you external. The External domain name is used by exchange and configured separate via the Setup my internet wizard. Exchange can handle more than one email domain if you like, so this cannot be a problem.

A second thing (this might be out of the SBS scope) but you can also use a .local domain and configure an UPN domain name and users can have a logon name username@domain.com.tr or what you would like. 

Regards Ronny
    -------------

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 9:18 AM
  • The main thing is there are specific kinds of policies in this company and in the IT department
    What they have done so far in years is using a TLD name for the internal domains for all the branches and it’s not an option for me neither is negotiable!

Personally I have had some problems with a .local name in the past (not in this company) and lets say it was my bad and my lack of knowledge! and if there was a choice I would use the .local name ‘cause I have tested SBS 2011 with it and its fine (and to be honest, more than fine! one installation and more than enough is auto configed!!)

Now here am I with no options! just the .com.tr name !

:(

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:20 AM
  • Alright thanks for the explaination. 

One question, we are talking about a clean installation right, not a migration? Strange thing is I can only find some option that are related to migrations not any clean installation.

Can you look at the SBSSetup.log file, the file is written in C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Logs this is the complete setup log, maybe this can bring us to the problem. Or post the log file so we can take a look at it.

Regards Ronny
    -------------

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:15 AM
  • OK! Thanks!

yet it is a clean installation. no migrations ....

this is the log file :

http://rapidshare.com/files/1459915505/SBSSetup.log

This is the answer file :

http://rapidshare.com/files/2502705496/SBSAnswerFile.xml

(note: I have changed the real domain name to MYDOMAIN and dashed out all the addresses and company information in the answer file and the setup log file !)

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:14 PM
  • When I go through the setup log indeed the Sharepoint isn't setup, but I see another error:

Failure: Error - Insufficient physical memory - NO Help

First question that rices how many RAM did you configured for this SBS server? and I hope you only configured static RAM not dynamic, as this is not supported with at least Exchange and so on not with SBS

Regards Ronny
    -------------

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:50 PM
  • I think you must see the log from line [1804]

before that i had some problems mounting the AnswerFile and i had to restart more than 2 times after that it recognized my answer file and started to install

i get the system 8 GB of ram and it is not dynamic

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Did you restart during the setup process this could be a problem.

How did you attach the answerfile to the virtual machine? Best way would be to create a Virtual Floppy file and attach this to the virtual machine.

8 GB would be fine for installation although for product 8GB is not enough, you should go to at least 16GB for a small utilized server or 24GB or even 32GB for a more utilized server.

Regards Ronny
    -------------

• Marked as answer by Hamed Eshraghi Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 8:38 AM
  • I've restarted a couple of times!

the problem was that it didn't recognize my answer file and the wizard started to pop along

i changed my answer file a couple of times and i mounted the answer file on a virtual SCSI drive

do you think that's the problem? if yes i'll try a fresh installation and feedback the results....!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:14 AM
  • OK !

I installed it again by doing exactly what you told me to : attached a Virtual Floppy Disk and mounted the answer file by that...

so it installed well and everything is A OK !

Thanks a lot!!

It’s a bit wired though!

I restarted a couple of times but before the wizard page popped up… and it seemed that the answer file had not been recognized….!

But whatever! Everything is fine now!!!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:23 PM
  • OK !

I installed it again by doing exactly what you told me to : attached a Virtual Floppy Disk and mounted the answer file by that...

so it installed well and everything is A OK !

Thanks a lot!!

It’s a bit wired though!

I restarted a couple of times but before the wizard page popped up… and it seemed that the answer file had not been recognized….!

But whatever! Everything is fine now!!!

Good to hear the proble is solved! 

I cannot explain what exactly went wrong but as you said everything is working fine thats most important!

Regards Ronny
    -------------

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:51 PM
  • I've got the same issue installing SBS 2011 on a Lenovo server with the Lenovo ROK. Nothing fancy, nothing nonstandard. Using .local, so that's not the problem. Tried with and without answer files. Installed from scratch multiple times, but SBS Sharepoint just doesn't get installed. Only other install issue was a complaint about not being able to configure router (which I did manually).

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 8:02 PM