none
Use Hyper-V on same server as WDS to PXE boot virtual machine to WDS to test imaging.(Take 2)

Question

• I asked this over in the Windows 7 Installation, setup and Deployment forum because I could not find a server forum that I thought fell under this topic though Hopefully in the Hyper-V forum i might get a answer.

I manage the desktop imaging and deployment system at work which currently consists of just WDS on a 2008 R2 64 server that i have administrative rights to, a special sub net on the network set aside for PXE booting which our imaging bench has drops on said subnet including a physical work PC at my station.

now on my PC i have windows 7 Enterprise x64 with a maxed out 8 GB of ram and Microsoft Virtual PC installed on it. I use VPC to PXE boot and test images.

The problem is I do a larger portion of the work on the imaging process remotely after the work day so as to not affect workers. This means i am using RDP to connect to the WDS server and my work PC. I have the fastest internet service i can buy from my provider; like 50 Mbits/s on wired (i'm using about 35 on a wireless connection) so no lag on anything remotely. However when i launch Virtual PC (i believe i have the 2007 version or what ever runs on 7) the mouse jumps all over the virtual screen makes it impossible to do anything.

So I thought why not add hyper-v as a role to the WDS server and just do all my image testing through that and just remote into one box every night instead of 2.

The problem is I can't figure out how or if it is even possible to have both WDS AND hyper-v on the same server and PXE boot to the WDS from a virtual machine in hyper-v?

Any Help or direction would be AMAZING

Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:46 AM

Answers

• It's a lab environment, so, yes, you can install WDS and Hyper-V on the same host.  Obviously, it is not recommended to install anything but the Hyper-V role on a server, but in labs all sorts of recommendations are disregarded from time to time.

The networking for the virtual environment would be the same for the physical environment.  The virtual machines that you want to PXE boot will have to be configured with the Legacy Network Adapter (2012 R2 eliminates that requirement). You would need to create an External Hyper-V virtual switch that the VMs can connect their virtual NICs to.  If you use VLANs, the NIC would need to be properly tagged.  If the WDS server has only a single NIC, that NIC would have to be used for the External virtual switch.  DO NOT TRY TO SET THIS UP REMOTELY.  If the WDS system has only a single NIC and you convert it to an External virtual switch, you lose access to the WDS server.  Creating an external virtual switch 'removes' the existing NIC from the host and presents it with a new virtual NIC.  I think it was fixed in 2008 R2 so that the new virtual NIC takes on the original network settings of the physical NIC, but it's been a while since I've worked with 2008 R2.  Better to make the change when you have access to the console in case anything goes wrong.

.:|:.:|:. tim

• Marked as answer by TofuBug Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:13 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:58 PM

All replies

• It's a lab environment, so, yes, you can install WDS and Hyper-V on the same host.  Obviously, it is not recommended to install anything but the Hyper-V role on a server, but in labs all sorts of recommendations are disregarded from time to time.

The networking for the virtual environment would be the same for the physical environment.  The virtual machines that you want to PXE boot will have to be configured with the Legacy Network Adapter (2012 R2 eliminates that requirement). You would need to create an External Hyper-V virtual switch that the VMs can connect their virtual NICs to.  If you use VLANs, the NIC would need to be properly tagged.  If the WDS server has only a single NIC, that NIC would have to be used for the External virtual switch.  DO NOT TRY TO SET THIS UP REMOTELY.  If the WDS system has only a single NIC and you convert it to an External virtual switch, you lose access to the WDS server.  Creating an external virtual switch 'removes' the existing NIC from the host and presents it with a new virtual NIC.  I think it was fixed in 2008 R2 so that the new virtual NIC takes on the original network settings of the physical NIC, but it's been a while since I've worked with 2008 R2.  Better to make the change when you have access to the console in case anything goes wrong.

.:|:.:|:. tim

• Marked as answer by TofuBug Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:13 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:58 PM
  • Thanks for the information In the end I converted the desktop Windows 7 PC mentioned above to a VHD, Loaded Server 2008 R2 on it and reloaded the old desktop pc as a virtual machine. Seemed like the easiest way to get where i needed to be with the minimal effort.

Thanks so much for the feedback
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:17 PM