none
Error 0xc004c020 the activation server 2008 reported that the multiple Activation key has exceeded its limit

Question

• I had a win7 64 bit machine which needs to be activated by my KMS server which has capacity to license windows 7 64 bit os. But on one machine when we try to activate it it gives error "Error 0xc004c020 the activation server 2008 reported that the multiple Activation key has exceeded its limit". Even though we use below command to have kms server details.

slmgr -ckms
    slmgr -skms <kms server ip>
    slmgr -ato

Other machine are properly getting activated by KMS. Where can i fix this issue, Is there any registry entrywhich is restricting machine to get activated by KMS & still holding MAK details.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:12 AM

Answers

• Santosh the link "http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793421.aspx" states "If you are converting a computer from a KMS host, MAK, or retail edition of Windows to a KMS client, install the applicable setup key (GVLK) from Table 9 using slmgr /ipk <setup key>."  I have a doubt that i am not converting my Windows 7 machine its simply a clinet which needs to be activated. Can you please guide.

You can use the same command slmgr /ipk <setup key> to convert MAK to KMS.

/ipk switch installs the new product key replacing the existing one.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:12 AM

All replies

• Try following

From elevated cmd, run below mentioned commands

slmgr /ipk 33PXH-7Y6KF-2VJC9-XBBR8-HVTHH (Change the KMS key depending on OS version) KMS keys can be found  here .

slmgr /skms KMS.domain.com (Replace KMS.domain.com with the FQDN of your KMS server)

slmgr /ato

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here, are my own.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Blog | Wiki

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:19 AM
  • Santosh the link "http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793421.aspx" states "If you are converting a computer from a KMS host, MAK, or retail edition of Windows to a KMS client, install the applicable setup key (GVLK) from Table 9 using slmgr /ipk <setup key>."  I have a doubt that i am not converting my Windows 7 machine its simply a clinet which needs to be activated. Can you please guide.
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:54 AM

You can use the same command slmgr /ipk <setup key> to convert MAK to KMS.

/ipk switch installs the new product key replacing the existing one.

Regards, Santosh

Blog | Wiki

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 11:12 AM
  • Hi Santosh,

Thanks for guidance, though i found out that location where the error was coming they while preparing image have put mak key & have pulled that image for deployment. Because of this error was coming.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:06 AM