none
How to reorder columns and make all labels appear?

Question

• I have a chart in my 2008 R2 report:

I want to reorder these programs in alphabetical order and I want to display all programs.  In the image above, see how only some of the program labels appear?

Here is some sample table data:

create table sample_programs
    (
    program_name varchar(25),
    LOS int,
    people_id int identity(1,1)
    )

insert sample_programs values('transitional living',50),('educational services',65),('Residential Treatment', 77),
    ('Regular Foster Care', 23)

And the SSRS Chart Value expression:

=Sum(Fields!program_los.Value) / 
    (CountDistinct(Fields!people_id.Value))

Where program_name is the Category group.

Ryan D

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:26 PM

Answers

• 1. I want to reorder these programs in alphabetical order and I want to display all programs. 
    2. In the image above, see how only some of the program labels appear?

Hello Ryan,

1. You can define the sort order in your query with a ORDER BY clause.

2. Open the "Vertical Axis Properties" of the chart and change "Interval" from "Auto" to 1 to get always all values for the axis label.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by ironryan77 Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:38 PM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:26 AM
  • Hi Ryan,

To reorder those programs in alphabetical order on the chart, we can add a sorting in the Category Group as below:
    Sort by: [program_name]                   Order: A to Z

In your scenario, not all the categories (programs) are displayed. By default, auto fit property determines the interval of horizontal axis labels. In order to display all the programs, please try changing the interval to 1 will force the axis to display all categories. For more detail, please refer to the similar thread below:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/sqlserver/en-US/68d79bb7-9564-4d6a-8a46-9d0ca83e435d/ssrs-2008-chart-does-not-show-all-yaxis-data-labels

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:27 AM

All replies

• 1. I want to reorder these programs in alphabetical order and I want to display all programs. 
    2. In the image above, see how only some of the program labels appear?

Hello Ryan,

1. You can define the sort order in your query with a ORDER BY clause.

2. Open the "Vertical Axis Properties" of the chart and change "Interval" from "Auto" to 1 to get always all values for the axis label.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Marked as answer by ironryan77 Thursday, February 13, 2014 2:38 PM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:26 AM
  • Hi Ryan,

To reorder those programs in alphabetical order on the chart, we can add a sorting in the Category Group as below:
    Sort by: [program_name]                   Order: A to Z

In your scenario, not all the categories (programs) are displayed. By default, auto fit property determines the interval of horizontal axis labels. In order to display all the programs, please try changing the interval to 1 will force the axis to display all categories. For more detail, please refer to the similar thread below:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/sqlserver/en-US/68d79bb7-9564-4d6a-8a46-9d0ca83e435d/ssrs-2008-chart-does-not-show-all-yaxis-data-labels

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Katherine Xiong
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:27 AM