none
Software asset management review

Question

• I'm not really sure what forum this could belong in, but since it kind of covers several categories including Windows Server I'll start here:

Yes, I have Googled and found mixed responses - is the Microsoft Software Asset Management Review e-mail I received legit or not? If in general they can be legitimate, but some may be scams, how can I tell which I received?

The one I received looks pretty good, and they provided a lot of very accurate info about my existing volume licenses. Calling MS for input yielded a lot of bouncing around and hold time and a vague, not very reassuring answer

Thanks inadvance

Manning

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 3:54 PM

All replies

• Hi

Be sure it come from the @microsoft.com's domain. The excel file usually list your licensing that you hold. Both information make it more legitimate.

Usually they got a suspision to have you answer on it, case I seen was more like you got 50 Exchange CAL, but only 20 Windows CAL. I seen case they wanted a tool runned to list office product, as the activation count didn't match too. Such suspision would be hard to told you if it would be a scam.

In the end it's more your reseller that will be happy, as they will ask to buy new license, but not by them, so technicaly they will not ask directly your credit card or such, that make it look like less scam too, unless they ask you to give them the information directly.

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

Answer an interesting question ? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, May 01, 2014 1:08 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I did an ARIN lookup on the sender IP when I first received the e-mail request, and it did appear to be an IP assigned to Microsoft. Nothing suspicious in the header information either. I also did a Google search for the sender and that also seemed to check out, but you can never be too safe, right?

I'm not sure that anything in particular about our organization would have looked suspicious enough to trigger one of these 'audits' for lack of a better word. All of our license counts fall into an acceptable range as far as purchased and used is concerned. One IT support firm/reseller we work with noted they have seen these things come in waves to other companies they work with and usually to companies who do the type of work we do.

Manning

Thursday, May 01, 2014 7:57 PM
  • Hi,

It from your description it’s hardly to judge the mail come from MSFT, the guru hack event can hijack your DNS related solution, some social engineering hack can get your license from your software vendor, I suggest you use the online support for the future confirm.

The related information:

Volume Licensing for Microsoft Products

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/products/products.aspx

Hope this helps.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 1:36 AM