none
Issue in Upgrading Windows 2008 R2 Standard server to Windows 2012 Standard Srever

Question

• Hi 

We have a Windows Server 2008 R2 stadard running... (came with the server).

To use 64GB, we have just purchased a licence key (retail) and downloaded ISO (Evaluation version) to upgrade. 

Then I got this error message saying that 

"Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard cannot be upgraded to Windows Server 2012 Standard Evaluation (Server with a GUI). You can choose to install a new copy of Windows Server 2012 Standard Evaluation (Server with a GUI) instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs."

Well, fresh installation is not an option for me. no way.. 

I read somewhere that it is because I am trying to upgrade from licenced 2008 R2 standard to evaluation 2012 standard. Then I saw a screenshot where you supply a licence key after selecting an edition to choose.. 

I don't get that screen sinceit is the evaluation version. 

Well, I am supposed to upgrade the system before the end of the new year...  now I am in a panic.. - - ;;

Can anyone help me with this please??? 

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:07 AM

Answers

• I don't think you can do it that way. If you bought a retail license you should be able to download the bits from same location.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:25 AM
  • Agree with Dave.  You can't 'upgrade' to evaluation media.  Since you just purchased a license, it should be a 2012 R2 license.  If you purchased online, you should also be able to download online.  If you purchased from a vendor, they should be able to provide you with the proper media.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

Agree with words of “Dave & Tim” and based on my research, we need to perform a clean installation of Windows Server 2012 Evaluation Versions instead upgrading.

However, if we have licensed Windows Server 2012, we can upgrade to Windows Server 2012 by referring to the Upgrading previous retail versions of Windows Server to Windows Server 2012 part of Evaluation Versions and Upgrade Options for Windows Server 2012.

Hope it helps!
    Regards.
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 3:19 AM

All replies

• I don't think you can do it that way. If you bought a retail license you should be able to download the bits from same location.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:25 AM
  • Agree with Dave.  You can't 'upgrade' to evaluation media.  Since you just purchased a license, it should be a 2012 R2 license.  If you purchased online, you should also be able to download online.  If you purchased from a vendor, they should be able to provide you with the proper media.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

Agree with words of “Dave & Tim” and based on my research, we need to perform a clean installation of Windows Server 2012 Evaluation Versions instead upgrading.

However, if we have licensed Windows Server 2012, we can upgrade to Windows Server 2012 by referring to the Upgrading previous retail versions of Windows Server to Windows Server 2012 part of Evaluation Versions and Upgrade Options for Windows Server 2012.

Hope it helps!
    Regards.
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 3:19 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I managed to get a copy (not a evaluation version) and sucessfuly upgraded.

Now I am having different issues.. .TT ;;

Monday, December 30, 2013 2:59 AM