none
Did a recent update cause Office 2010 Default Programs to change?

Question

• Just wondering if anyone else is coming across this.  I came into work today and one of our Office 2010 users said they were unable to open any office documents and was getting a message that their files were "Corrupt".  Obviously this seems dire.  Upon closer inspection, all of the office documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc) in their folders were showing up with an orange generic office icon. After right clicking on the document and looking at the default program that was assigned to the given file type, they all listed "Microsoft Office" instead of their respective office application as the default program.  After changing the file associations back to their respective default application (i.e. Word), the documents opened as expected.  However, this issue is affecting all of our Office 2010 users and it appears to have been something that happened over night.  Some of the users reported that they were asked to update this morning and that they elected not to update (because they don't have rights to do so) but yet they were still affected by this issue.

Anyone else encountering this problem?  Was there a recent update from Microsoft that borked file associations?  

Thanks,

Matt

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:44 PM

Answers

• I have ran into this several times.

SOLUTION

In the programs and features or add/remove programs, you will find two MS Office 2010 entries, one will name the full version of Office installed, the other will only say MS Office 2010.  You will find that you are unable to repair the Office version that has the full product name.  The entry MS Office 2010 does not have the repair (or change) option, but you can uninstall it. 

Uninstall the MS Office 2010.

After uninstalling, you may have to right click an office document, choose open with, then choose default program.  Select the correct program (Word, Excel, etc).  Do this for the remaining documents that have the orange generic icon.

I have found a couple instances that the desktop shortcuts to Excel, Word, and Outlook stop working.  To solve that, delete the shortcuts, then recreate them.

I have done this 6 or 7 times in the last week, with different versions of Office 2010, including Starter, Professional, and Home and Student.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:03 PM
  • this just posted:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2013/09/18/office-2010-starter-edition-file-type-associations-missing-after-september-2013-update.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:07 AM

All replies

• This happened to 2 users today in my office, that all the office icons changed to an orange icon, and when you clicked the orange icon, it came up with the splash screen to active office 2010.  This happened after todays wndows update and patches.

What I did is right click on my access 2007 icon started "open with" found the msaccess.exe program set it to default to open with that, and all the other icons changed back to their usual office 2007 icons. 

I believe todays updates caused this issue.  Hope this helps everyone else who comes accross this problem. 

Now if someone could ask Microsoft why their update caused this

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Well, glad to know I am not the only one seeing this.  A friend of mine also said that his personal copy of Office 2010 at home also got deactivated overnight.  I wonder if the patches pushed out overnight caused the issue and then the update that some of our users were seeing this morning were another set of hotfixes meant to correct the problem introduced by the overnight patches.  Still strange that I can't find any official KB or message from MS that this is indeed a problem caused by last night's patches.  
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:59 PM
  • Yes, I experienced this last night.  I did a MS update and all my Word doc icons on desktop turned orange.  Thinking it may be virus, my service provider checked it out and no virus turned up.  They tried to tell me that my MS Office Starter 2010 trial period had expired.  I've had this for about 2 years and done updates and this has never happened. Mine is not a trial period but was pre-loaded on my computer  from the manufacturer, and is not a full version of Office---only Word and Excel.

I wonder if this is a ploy to get people to purchase the full version.  Maybe they realized that people are satisfied with the free options available and do not have a need to purchase the full-version. 

I did right click on the file and chose "open with" and  Microsoft Office Client Virtualization Handler.  This does allow me to make changes to doc and I was able to save and re-open and changes were still there.  But I'm not sure what this does and if I want to continue to do this.

• Proposed as answer by Kirstie A Friday, September 13, 2013 2:58 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Kirstie A Friday, September 13, 2013 2:58 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:57 PM
  • I finally got my issues solved.  No more orange folders, YAY!  I called 1-800-642-7676 (Microsoft no-charge support line for security issues).  Told them I had a problem that developed on 9-10 with orange folders.  He asked if it was only with MS Office Starter 2010.  (I had not told him any more than the previous sentence.)  I asked if there were a lot of calls concerning that issue and he said it seemed to be the problem of the day.  I told him that through trial & error, I concluded that I could open Word docs by clicking Open With and Client Virtualization Handler.  He said this is the new name for Office Starter 2010 .  (Why change?? I don't know.) He told me that the default setting was changed so I needed to go back in and change default to Client Virt. Handler and that all Word docs would automatically change and my orange folders would disappear.  I said that I wanted to make sure this was true before I disconnected since I had 45 minutes on hold before my turn.  Unfortunately, all folders DID NOT turn back to blue/white Word icons.  We discovered that in order for that to happen, I had to open each folder that still showed orange.  Usually somewhere in this folder was a 1KB file with a $ sign (and I forgot what he told me that signified), but if I opened even one of the docs in that folder, usually the $ sign file and the orange would disappear.  My docs are now changed from "doc" to "docx" which he said is the newer version for Office 2007 and newer.  This made no sense since I was operating 2010 and it used to be "doc", but they still open the same now.  After going through my entire desktop with the above process, all orange folders have disappeared.  Just the sight of all that orange was driving me nuts!  Three days of torture and phone calls!!  Yikes!  I have to de-cipher my notes but hope that helps.
    Friday, September 13, 2013 3:09 AM
  • Hi

We recommend you usinstall the patch that you recently upgrade to see if the problem still persists.

If so, we can wait for the next patch from Microsoft to fix the issue.

Regards

Tylor Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 13, 2013 5:09 AM
  • Hi Taylor,

How do I "uninstall the patch"? I have had the same problem as everybody else here, all the ppt files I have turned orange and I couldn't open them. I am running office 2007 and I'm quite happy with it, I don't want to update. I found that I could open the new pptx orange files with a right click and open with function but I couldn't open files from the internet that way and it is really clumsy and time wasting. So I was the mug who downloaded the "free trial" of office 2010 - What a disaster!!! Now I can't copy any slides from the my existing power point files into any new ones I create, they just import as pictures and I can't copy and paste slides between old powerpoint files either. I am a student teacher and I need this function daily. Life is hard enough without this sort of thing happening, how can Microsoft do this and how can I get back to before the update? Any help would be greatly appreciated but please assume I am a computer dummy and go step by step.

Many thanks

Barbara

Saturday, September 14, 2013 8:30 AM
  • I have ran into this several times.

SOLUTION

In the programs and features or add/remove programs, you will find two MS Office 2010 entries, one will name the full version of Office installed, the other will only say MS Office 2010.  You will find that you are unable to repair the Office version that has the full product name.  The entry MS Office 2010 does not have the repair (or change) option, but you can uninstall it. 

Uninstall the MS Office 2010.

After uninstalling, you may have to right click an office document, choose open with, then choose default program.  Select the correct program (Word, Excel, etc).  Do this for the remaining documents that have the orange generic icon.

I have found a couple instances that the desktop shortcuts to Excel, Word, and Outlook stop working.  To solve that, delete the shortcuts, then recreate them.

I have done this 6 or 7 times in the last week, with different versions of Office 2010, including Starter, Professional, and Home and Student.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:03 PM
  • this just posted:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2013/09/18/office-2010-starter-edition-file-type-associations-missing-after-september-2013-update.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:07 AM
  • Thank you so much for this! This seemed to work well. I could also tell that it was the dud MS Office as it was "installed" on the date of the updates. Just clicked on one of the files after I uninstalled it all the files seemed to return to normal! Phew!!
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:04 AM