none
General Access Denied Error 0x80070005 creating .VHDX in a SHARED FOLDER

Question

• I have 2 windows 2012 servers (WIn2012 Standard File Server / Shared Folder  and Win2012 Standard + Hyper-V)

The shared folder have users, admins, system, everyone full control permissions for shared + NTFS permissions (i added also the HYPER-V$ computer account)

I´ve tried PROCMON to see the error in detail, filtered out useless things and aded keyword VHD to ctach the write attempt.. nothing, no itens captured...

But when i try to create the .VHDX file, i got the error message

"Failed To Create Virtual Hard Disk" and "General Access Denied Error 0x80070005 creating .VHDX " error

I´m trying to create using the new disk wizard and typing \\server\sharedfolder as destination for the VHDX file

Any ideas?

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:36 PM

Answers

• I realy knew about the loopback thing, but i was using the HV Manager on the FileServer Itself. (i though the loopback thing will affect VMs running on the FIleServer/Hyper-V server itself, i tought that using HV Manager pointed to another machone was enough to complete the procedure.

After tried to create the .VHD file using another HV Manager, on another machine, the problem was solved

Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:18 AM

All replies

• If the share is on a Hyper-V Server, I expect the access denied.  (no loopback UNC paths).

If the share is hosted by your File Server (separate box) I would expect it to work as long as all the permissions are correct.

BTW - everyone Full Control does nothing in this scenario, neither do user permissions.  This is all about the computer account of the Hyper-V server having the proper permissions and also about delegation.

Most of your resources are here for Server 2012: http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2013/05/05/updated-links-on-windows-server-2012-file-server-and-smb-3-0.aspx

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:00 PM
  • I realy knew about the loopback thing, but i was using the HV Manager on the FileServer Itself. (i though the loopback thing will affect VMs running on the FIleServer/Hyper-V server itself, i tought that using HV Manager pointed to another machone was enough to complete the procedure.

After tried to create the .VHD file using another HV Manager, on another machine, the problem was solved

Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:18 AM
  • Augh, I worked on this for a while using RDP to get to my Win2012 R2 file server. From that session, I was trying to manage the Windows 2012 Hyper-V server and was getting the General Access Denied error.

As an aside, I was also trying to get Hyper-V 2012 to connect to an SMB 3 (SAMBA 4) share on FreeNAS with the same error.

Well, using RSAT from Windows 8 worked perfectly with the Windows 2012 file server. I'm going to try FreeNAS again just for the fun of it, but won't use that in production.

Just to be clear, you cannot run the Hyper-V Manager from any of the SMB file servers.

Rick

Sunday, March 23, 2014 1:03 AM
  • Hi,

Hyper-V over SMB works on Server 2012/R2 Shares and on some boxes from the 2 major NAS Player, EMC and NetApp.

For putting VMs there you need the correct permissons, Full Control for Domain Admins + Hyper-V-Hosts$ and in case it is a Cluster, put also the Cluster-Account$ there.

Plus configure Delegation for SMB.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/taylorb/archive/2012/03/20/enabling-hyper-v-remote-management-configuring-constrained-delegation-for-smb-and-highly-available-smb.aspx

For the SMB Scenario also think about SMB Bandwidth Limits and SMB Multichannel constraints, depending on your Network Design.

The loopback Problem only is a Problem if you put Hyper-V and Windows FileServer Role on the same Host, which is anyway not a good idea, Hyper-V Role always has to be the one and only, put the rest on VMs.
    For Lab purpose ok but then you can not use putting VMs to \\Host\Share on the same Host, you have to use the local drive letters as normal.

an easy to remember Access Point for all that Information is http://smb3.info

cheers

Udo

Sunday, March 23, 2014 9:53 AM