none
Exchange 2010 - installing EMC + SP2 on Windows 8

Question

• Hi!

I want install Exchange 2010 Management Console + SP2 on my laptop with Windows 8 x64 installed.

But SP2 is not supported :-/SP2 installation error

Do you know any workaround for this issue?

Wojciech Sciesinski

Monday, August 27, 2012 12:47 PM

Answers

• Alright, finally figured this out. The reason EMC doesn't work is because MMC on Windows 8 now runs with version 4.0 of the CLR by default, and EMC is a v2.0 snap-in.
    Therefore you have to run an instance of MMC with the v2.0 CLR from the command prompt and load the EMC snap-in:

set __COMPAT_LAYER=RUNASINVOKER
    set COMPLUS_Version=v2.0.50727
    mmc.exe

(RunAsInvoker allows MMC to run without local admin privileges. To run with admin credentials, COMPLUS_Version needs to be set on an admin command prompt and MMC launched from it, to take effect).

Don't set v2.0 CLR globally (through an environment variable or mmc.exe.config), because you won't be able to load the v4.0 snap-ins in the v2.0 MMC.

• Proposed as answer by the_mk Tuesday, September 04, 2012 3:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by WojciechS Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:39 PM
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Hi!

I've found workaround for this issue. For installing Service Pack 2 for Exchange 2010 on Windows 8 x64 you must change registry key value

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentVersion value to: "6.1".

Sometimes service pack require restart before installing, that you must remember that computer restarting changing this key to correct value: 6.2.

After installing Service Pack 2 to Exchange 2010 I've installed Update Rollup 4 using Microsoft Update.

Wojciech Sciesinski

• Marked as answer by WojciechS Monday, August 27, 2012 10:08 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 10:08 PM

All replies

• Hi!

I've found workaround for this issue. For installing Service Pack 2 for Exchange 2010 on Windows 8 x64 you must change registry key value

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentVersion value to: "6.1".

Sometimes service pack require restart before installing, that you must remember that computer restarting changing this key to correct value: 6.2.

After installing Service Pack 2 to Exchange 2010 I've installed Update Rollup 4 using Microsoft Update.

Wojciech Sciesinski

• Marked as answer by WojciechS Monday, August 27, 2012 10:08 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 10:08 PM
  • Hi!

This workaround is not good enough :-(

The Exchange Management Console + SP2 is installed but not work correctly - see screenshot - management is not available :-/

Wojciech Sciesinski

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:43 AM
  • Hi Wojciech,

I would avoid to install Exchange 2010 Management tool on Windows 8 as there is no official document addressed this is supported at the moment.

For more information, please see:

Exchange Server Supportability Matrix

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff728623.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:24 AM
  • Hi Frank,

This is not good enough, If Microsoft want customers to move to windows 8 especially business customers, then why aren't management tools available at RTM as businesses are the ones who currently have access to windows 8. Furthermore Exchange 2010 hasn't been replaced with 2013 yet so whats the holdup on 2010 management tools?

Thanks,

Daniel

Friday, August 31, 2012 12:24 AM
  • Alright, finally figured this out. The reason EMC doesn't work is because MMC on Windows 8 now runs with version 4.0 of the CLR by default, and EMC is a v2.0 snap-in.
    Therefore you have to run an instance of MMC with the v2.0 CLR from the command prompt and load the EMC snap-in:

mmc.exe

(RunAsInvoker allows MMC to run without local admin privileges. To run with admin credentials, COMPLUS_Version needs to be set on an admin command prompt and MMC launched from it, to take effect).

Don't set v2.0 CLR globally (through an environment variable or mmc.exe.config), because you won't be able to load the v4.0 snap-ins in the v2.0 MMC.

• Proposed as answer by the_mk Tuesday, September 04, 2012 3:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by WojciechS Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:39 PM
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Hi!

Thanks, this sollution/workaround works.

Native suport for EMC on Windows 8 will be available in the future?

Wojciech Sciesinski

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 8:44 PM
  • Thanks the_mk, worked like a charm! I created a *.bat file with a preconfigured mmc (admin.mmc :) ) and you solved my problem!

c:\admin.msc

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:02 AM
  • Thanks the_mk, worked like a charm! I created a *.bat file with a preconfigured mmc (admin.mmc :) ) and you solved my problem!

c:\admin.msc

nice one!!!
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:43 PM
  • No need to make a custom MMC.  Just do this.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Bin\Exchange Management Console.msc"

It will use the exchange configured MMC and you don't have to create one.

Monday, September 24, 2012 2:06 PM
  • In case you have a separate domain admin account, use the runas to run the batch.

runas /profile /env /user:domain\account drive letter:\...\"filename".bat

Or right click on it and Run as...

Monday, December 17, 2012 3:56 PM