none
Event ID: 11 The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2

Question

• Hello,

I have a server running Windows 2008 R2 and have recently been seeing this error in Event Viewer (Event ID: 11 The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2). I am unsure how to troubleshoot this due to the fact that "disk2" is an iSCSI target that is pointing to a file system/LUN located on a BlueArc High Performance NAS. This server has another 4 iSCSI drives configured to the BlueArc that have no errors. The only difference between "disk2" and the others is "disk2" is an iSCSI target by itself and the other 4 are in one target. The BlueArc management console is showing no errors. I am using the Microsoft iSCSI Initiator. Any ideas what may be causing the issue? Thanks.

Steve

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:05 PM

Answers

• Hi, can you use the vendor iSCSI connector ? (Like Dell does offer a homemade connector)

Just a BIG warning, using a iSCSI connector from inside a VM is a really BIG drawback. Why ? You can no longer easilly snapshot the VM because the ESXi can't quiesce the volume and it add a overload to the ESXi. The VM use it network stack to go talk to the LUN, so it stay in the network stack of the hypervisor, having the volume directly connected to the VM via the ESXi remove that overload to the ESXi.

If you are using Microsoft's iSCSI initiator within the virtual machine, you cannot perform snapshot operations on the virtual machine because it is not supported. For more information, see Running a Third-Party iSCSI initiator in the Virtual Machine in the SAN System Design and Deployment Guide for your version of ESX.  (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1009073)

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:29 AM
  • Thanks for the responses. I will try both suggestions.

another idea is one of those low-end NAS boxes that you can use to backup to and clean up your iSCSI problems

If you need more servers, using a RAID card with 16 disks (enterprise grade) can be used and have room to grow over time

best bet with a box like that is 10GBASE-T networks or faster

Corsair Carbide 300R with window & Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V

Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI & AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz & G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB 

GTX 260 SLI 216 core (GT200 Tesla) & Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p

ST2000DM001 & Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 & Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:53 PM

Last thing I forget to mention, just check the NIC configuration to be sure it's following your storage bestpractice. Like Large Send Offload could delay the communication, thus making the OS think it got problem with the harddrive connected.

For the DAS idea I don't think it can work unless your unit support a DAS connector, and usually you can only dedicate the DAS to 1 to 4 servers that got a external SCSI connector. So technicaly it's un-usable from inside a VM.

Thanks

MCP | MCTS - Exchange 2007, Configuring | Member of TechNet Wiki Community Council | French Moderator on TechNet Wiki (Translation Widget)

Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:45 AM

All replies

• Not sure if that is possible. There is 15TB of data scattered across multiple LUNs and multiple servers both physical and virtual using VMware. It's not something I setup and I don't have the knowledge to convert iSCSI LUNs to DAS storage without breaking ESXi. However, this particular issue is on a physical server. "Disk2" data only needs to be accessed by this server.

A couple of things I found though. This error started happening after a reboot Friday night. I found the following during boot in the Event Log. These errors occurred before the controller error.

Event ID:17 iScsiPRT CHAP Response given by the target did not match the expected one.

Event ID:10 iScsiPRT Login request failed.

Event ID:103 MSiSCSI Timeout waiting for iSCSI persistently bound volumes.

Thank You.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:20 PM
  • Hi, can you use the vendor iSCSI connector ? (Like Dell does offer a homemade connector)

Just a BIG warning, using a iSCSI connector from inside a VM is a really BIG drawback. Why ? You can no longer easilly snapshot the VM because the ESXi can't quiesce the volume and it add a overload to the ESXi. The VM use it network stack to go talk to the LUN, so it stay in the network stack of the hypervisor, having the volume directly connected to the VM via the ESXi remove that overload to the ESXi.

If you are using Microsoft's iSCSI initiator within the virtual machine, you cannot perform snapshot operations on the virtual machine because it is not supported. For more information, see Running a Third-Party iSCSI initiator in the Virtual Machine in the SAN System Design and Deployment Guide for your version of ESX.  (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1009073)

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:29 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:55 PM

Last thing I forget to mention, just check the NIC configuration to be sure it's following your storage bestpractice. Like Large Send Offload could delay the communication, thus making the OS think it got problem with the harddrive connected.

For the DAS idea I don't think it can work unless your unit support a DAS connector, and usually you can only dedicate the DAS to 1 to 4 servers that got a external SCSI connector. So technicaly it's un-usable from inside a VM.

Thanks

Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:45 AM