none
Slow response time when using W2K12 DNS

Question

• Hi,

I have a WS2K12 Essential server at home with a Win7 PC.

DHCP is resolve by my ISP cable modem (Netgear CBV734) for all the devices. IP Addresses are reserved with MAC addresses.

All the devices are linked by a gigabyte router (Netgear GS108E). The router isn't the problem as it occurs with the 2 computers linked on the router or directly on the cable modem.

On my PC, the primary DNS is set to 192.168.0.2 (Home server IP address). It takes about 3 or 4 secondes to have a web page responding in my web browser.

When I set the DNS to my ISP one (89.xxx.xxx.xxx) instead of the WS2K12 DNS by using "Internet options", the same page is responding in the second.

When I restart the PC and log in the local domain, the primary DNS is reset to the local server :(

First question is why there is so much difference between the two configuration?

Second is how can I fix this ? Do I need to configure a ISP DNS redirection on the server to faster response time ? or How to force my primary DNS on my Win7 PC?

Is the primary DNS needed to be my local server ?

Thx for any help...

Stéphane Bocquet

Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Ok, manage to solve this...

In fact, when the server was installed, it was connected to a router which IP address was 192.168.1.1. Now, it is connected to a router which IP address is 192.168.0.1.

When I look at the DNS forwarder in the DNS manager, it was set to the old router (192.168.1.1). So I set the forwarder to the new cable router at 192.168.0.1 and it solves the problem.

Back to normal speed ;)

Thanks a lot for your help Jorge

Stéphane Bocquet

Friday, July 19, 2013 9:10 PM

All replies

• So based on your description, I am going to assume that your server is running Active Directory and DNS...

If this is the case, yes, your computers on the local network should be pointing to your server for DNS, not the router.  If you can configure router's DHCP service allows you to configure the DNS client settings, change the config to point to the DNS server within your network.

Now, why is your DNS server introducing this delay...  one possible reason is a reconfiguration on the DNS server settings.  For example, an extra "hop" in DNS resolution can cause this delay.  

Did you by chance, set up forwarders?  Maybe you are forwarding to your DNS router?  That would introduce a delay and would not make sense to leave in place.

Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:30 PM
  • So based on your description, I am going to assume that your server is running Active Directory and DNS...

[SB] I also assume that but didn't really check what services are running on the server. Will check tonight

If this is the case, yes, your computers on the local network should be pointing to your server for DNS, not the router.  If you can configure router's DHCP service allows you to configure the DNS client settings, change the config to point to the DNS server within your network.

[SB] It cannot as it is a basic DHCP server with only static IP adress réservations and so on... :(

Now, why is your DNS server introducing this delay...  one possible reason is a reconfiguration on the DNS server settings.  For example, an extra "hop" in DNS resolution can cause this delay.  

[SB] Where can I check that...

Did you by chance, set up forwarders?  Maybe you are forwarding to your DNS router?  That would introduce a delay and would not make sense to leave in place.

[SB] No forwarder set... should I set one ? If so, how can I do it ?

Anyway, thx for your answer

Stéphane Bocquet

Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:59 PM
  • If you are running Active Directory, then its important that your clients point to your DC/DNS server for name resolution.  If you are not running AD, then simply have all of your hosts point to your router, or better yet, your ISP's DNS.  If you cant configure those options with your current DHCP solution, your options are statically hardcode all hosts on the network, or install the DHCP server service on and disable that DHCP solution on your router.  This will allow you to have more control over the DHCP configuration.  The correct answer will depend on what you are trying to accomplish within your network.

You can check your DNS server settings, by logging into your server, using the DNS admin console (found in Administrative tools), right click the server object in the MMC console, and view the properties.  There you will find the forwarders tab and other related tabs..

If you point your clients to your DNS server, you have an option on what you want your DNS server to do with the queries...  By default, your DNS server will have access to its "root hints" [What is Root Hints?] which allows your DNS server to query the Internet root DNS servers directly.  Or, you can have your DNS server simply send all queries to another DNS server or servers using the forwarders tab.  There are different reasons to implement each solution.  There is no right or wrong.  You will need a better understanding of both and choose the one that meets your needs.  I only mentioned the forwarding, because if your clients point to your DNS and you forward to your ISP's DNS, then if there is No Active Directory in your network, there is no point in this configuration.

Friday, July 19, 2013 1:40 PM
  • Hi Jorge,

First of all, I will say thank you for your clear answer.

At the moment, WS2K12 is installed by default with an AD. So I guest that all my PC should point to the server for DNS resolving.

Read some infos on forwarders on the net and don't think I need to set one for my actual conf. What would be the point of setting a forwader to my ISP's DNS on my server as it already does the job.

Still don't understand the delta of time to reach web pages :(

Stéphane Bocquet

Friday, July 19, 2013 2:10 PM
  • Hi Jorge,

First of all, I will say thank you for your clear answer.

At the moment, WS2K12 is installed by default with an AD. So I guest that all my PC should point to the server for DNS resolving.

Read some infos on forwarders on the net and don't think I need to set one for my actual conf. What would be the point of setting a forwader to my ISP's DNS on my server as it already does the job.

Still don't understand the delta of time to reach web pages :(

Stéphane Bocquet

BTW, do you know where can I check if my Windows DNS Server have the correct ISP IP addresses to forward to ?

Stéphane Bocquet

Friday, July 19, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Hi,

Ok, manage to solve this...

In fact, when the server was installed, it was connected to a router which IP address was 192.168.1.1. Now, it is connected to a router which IP address is 192.168.0.1.

When I look at the DNS forwarder in the DNS manager, it was set to the old router (192.168.1.1). So I set the forwarder to the new cable router at 192.168.0.1 and it solves the problem.

Back to normal speed ;)

Thanks a lot for your help Jorge

Stéphane Bocquet

Friday, July 19, 2013 9:10 PM