none
Exchange 2010 SP2 Rollup 5 low in standby memory

Question

• Hello there,

We have four one DAG four MBX server hosted about 10 DBs. Each DB replicates each other across all servers with active/active config. four servers are located two Data centers with 2 GB private WAN link. ping latency less than 9 ms. We found out two servers at remote site with less users (less than 500 active mailboxes each) had low standby memory on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 task manager-resource monitor window. and eventually run out of memory and and hit hard page/fault and we will have to reboot the both servers. All four servers hardware are identical with 96 GB physical memory:

Here is some interesting reading

at data center A,  typical memory monitoring counts:

Hardware reserved 64 MB     in use 90130 MB, Modifier 52 MB  Standby 7950 MB, Free 100 MB

at data center B ,  typical memory monitoring counts:

Hardware reserved 64 MB     in use 97830 MB, Modifier 2 MB  Standby 305 MB, Free 70 MB

Both servers at Data center B experience the same issue.

Any idea? Thanks.

Friday, July 19, 2013 2:46 PM

Answers

• If you run the same software on the machines they probably have the same memory-leaking code. It could be A/V software, a driver, or anything else.

You need to find the leaker.

I think you'd get more specific help with this problem if you asked the question in Windows 2008 R2 forum.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:20 AM

All replies

• Seems like a Windows OS issue.

You might want to check out SysInternal Tools to get a better understanding of where the issue is.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb795533.aspx

Dame Luthas, ITILv3, MCSE Messaging 2013, MCSA, MCITP

My Technical Blog: http://thelifestrategist.wordpress.com/

Discipline is the Difference between Goals and Accomplishments..

Friday, July 19, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Thanks for you reply. If one server has the issue, it could be OS or Hardware related. However, both servers there have the same issue. Any other suggestion?
    Friday, July 19, 2013 6:32 PM
  • Yes but you still need to see what process or processes are straining the resources.

Dame Luthas, ITILv3, MCSE Messaging 2013, MCSA, MCITP

My Technical Blog: http://thelifestrategist.wordpress.com/

Discipline is the Difference between Goals and Accomplishments..

Friday, July 19, 2013 9:51 PM
  • If you run the same software on the machines they probably have the same memory-leaking code. It could be A/V software, a driver, or anything else.

You need to find the leaker.

I think you'd get more specific help with this problem if you asked the question in Windows 2008 R2 forum.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:20 AM
  • Thank you all for reply.

It turned out installed .net framework not matched issue. Local servers have .net version 4.0 installed, while remote servers .net version 3.5.1installed . After we installed .net 4.0 on remote servers, everything looks OK now. Both remote servers have available 10 GB physical memory constantly which are identical to local mailbox servers.

Monday, July 29, 2013 12:58 PM