none
Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise upgrade to Windows 2012

Question

• Hi,

Im having troubles upgrading windows 2008 R2 Enterprise to 2012 Standard or Datacenter. I get this error aboul EULA (see picture). Im using virtual servers on vmware 5.1. I used the same ISO file many times and It worked OK. Curent Windows is from volume licencing and upgrade is also from volume licencing. If I boot server from DVD I get past this error but than upgrade is not available. I also deleted file ei.cfg in sources folder. Then I get window to enter key and for every key I enter I get error "unable to verfy key..."

This are log files from \panter folder on this server

setuperr.log

2013-07-15 19:56:25, Error                 IBS    Callback_License_LoadLicenseText: SkuGetImageEulaAsString Failed to get the EULA; hr = 0x80070522:[gle=0x00000522]
    2013-07-15 19:56:25, Error      [0x060613] IBS    Callback_License_LoadLicenseText:An error occurred while retrieving the EULA; hr = 0x80070522[gle=0x00000490]

the other file is setupact.log is about 100 KB lon and I dont know what excatly to copy here :)

I would be very happy if somebody could help

Thank you

Damjan Cizelj

• Edited by Damjanc Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:09 AM
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:04 AM

Answers

• I figured out that something is wrong with GPO settings and UAC settings. I also discovered that on system drive (C:) on mouse right click and "New" I could only create folder (usually ther are more options like Shortcut, Bitmap image, etc).

I had to change this settings. It can bi done with GPO from domain:

Computer Configuration -->Windows Settings --> Security Settings --> Local Policies --> User Rights Assignment. In my case there was one group from AD so I add a group which has local Admin rights

and UAC settings in Computer Configuration -->Windows Settings --> Security Settings --> Local Policies --> Security Options. This are settings that works

Server reboot and problem was gone :)

• Marked as answer by Damjanc Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:20 AM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:20 AM

All replies

• Are you sure you have SP1 on top of R2 on Server 2008?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2012/10/23/upgrading-to-windows-server-2012-part-1.aspx

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:57 AM
  • Yes I have installed all updates from Update center until yesterday.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:14 AM
  • Are you using the Express Install in VMware?  I would suggest adding a new VM and tell it you will install the OS later and then once the OS is built modify the CD/DVD peripheral to point to the ISO. 

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:31 PM
  • I always use this method when creating new VM. I also use this ISO for all upgrades or new installations, and until this server it was always OK. Im almost 100% sure that problem is on this server. This server is used only for file server and no special programs are installed on it (only Sophos antivirus).

Please help

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:04 PM
  • hmm, if you google that message it appears as an issue specifically with VMWare and everyone's suggestion was to do as i suggested with ensuring the Express Install was off during setup.

My next guess would be to try to remove the floppy drive from the VM and try again.  There could be an issue with an autoflop file.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:39 PM
  • I deleted floppy drive and restarted server and error is stil present. I get this error if i run setup.exe when windows 2008 r2 is up and runing. If I boot this server  from dvd (mounted ISO) I dont get this error. Problem is when I boot server from ISO upgrade is not a option (warning in setup saying that you must run setup.exe in windows). For test I tried  upgrade (same ISO) from another Windows 2008 R2 Ent. and tI dont get this error. 
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:19 PM
  • Hi

I found this error log when I start setup.exe on windows server 2012:

---------
    [ warning] [vmusr:vmusr] Error in the RPC receive loop: RpcIn: Unable to send.
    ---------

Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:26 AM
  • A similar KB on VMware Site - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2036350

Might want to post at the VMware Forum as well.

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:30 AM
  • I tested on another server which had old version of wmtools (before upgrade to vmware 5.1). I upgradet tools to latest version on this server (now is same as on server with errors) and I dont get this error.

Once again I think that something is wrong with Windows on this server.

• Edited by Damjanc Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:38 AM Update
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:27 AM
  • I suggest a new server running Hyper-V and use that, it works a lot better for a Windows Server shop than others.

The new version of Hyper-V with Server 2012 R2 will bring better support for Linux. The big improvement is support for dynamic memory.

I am using Server 2012 and the new preview runs fine in a virtual machine. I have been exploring the changes and many improvements in the hypervisor are welcome in my shop.

I intend to roll it out as soon as it RTMs

rest of my virtual machines will have to wait

Corsair Carbide 300R with window & Corsair TX850V2 70A@12V

Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 CFX/SLI & AMD Phenom II 965 C3 Black Edition @ 4.0 GHz & G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133 8 GB 

GTX 260 SLI 216 core (GT200 Tesla) & Asus PA238QR IPS LED HDMI DP 1080p

ST2000DM001 & Windows 7 x64 Enterprise

Microsoft Wireless Desktop 2000 & Wacom Bamboo CHT470M

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier to understand!

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the Only Way to Play

Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:36 PM
  • After  many hours of resarch I found solution by myself. Thank you all for helping.

Monday, July 22, 2013 7:09 PM
  • Do you mind sharing the solution?  It would help the community in case this appears again.  Thanks.

Monday, July 22, 2013 7:12 PM
  • I figured out that something is wrong with GPO settings and UAC settings. I also discovered that on system drive (C:) on mouse right click and "New" I could only create folder (usually ther are more options like Shortcut, Bitmap image, etc).

I had to change this settings. It can bi done with GPO from domain:

Computer Configuration -->Windows Settings --> Security Settings --> Local Policies --> User Rights Assignment. In my case there was one group from AD so I add a group which has local Admin rights

and UAC settings in Computer Configuration -->Windows Settings --> Security Settings --> Local Policies --> Security Options. This are settings that works

Server reboot and problem was gone :)

• Marked as answer by Damjanc Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:20 AM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:20 AM