none
defrag wont start

Answers

•  

Hi kolby_k9, have you installed Windows SteadyState and enabled Windows Disk Protection? If so, Disk Defragmenter will be disabled by group policy due to WDP.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, March 02, 2009 7:25 AM
  • As Sean Zhu noted, enabling Disk Protection disables Disk Defragmenter. Unfortunately, SteadyState does not re-enable Disk Defragmenter when one disables Disk Protection, or after a failed attempt to enable Disk Protection, or even after uninstalling Steady State. My quick solution is to use the below registry entry to remove the block on Disk Defragmenter in Windows XP with NTFS partitions. Note that you should NOT enable/use Disk Defragmenter with Disk Protection enabled.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\0\Paths\{01D2FFE8-EF64-41AC-B18F-42A9954C5B06}]

Hey Sean, how about fixing this bug in the next update to Steady State?

Ed Ruth
    DataNet Services, Inc.

• Proposed as answer by Ed Ruth Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu -Moderator Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:21 AM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:07 PM

All replies

•  

Hi kolby_k9, have you installed Windows SteadyState and enabled Windows Disk Protection? If so, Disk Defragmenter will be disabled by group policy due to WDP.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, March 02, 2009 7:25 AM
  • Actually, it doesn't have to be on (harddisk protection) I'm currently in a state where I have a ghost image of my clients. This ghost image has the problem that it cannot activate disk protection. But after having tried to enable it and it fails, defrag stops working. But before I try to activate disk protection I have no trouble defragging. Now the really weird thing is, when having tried activating it and it it fails, it states its not activated and defrag stops working. Even a reboot and the steady state says disk is not protected, but defrag still doesn't work. If I pull the image down on the client again, where I have not yet tried to activate disk protection I can defrag just fine. Thats a bit whack. Guessing it disables defrag as soon as you choose to protect the disk, but it doesn't enable defrag again if the process fails.
    Monday, March 02, 2009 3:35 PM
  • I have the same problem and didnt install windows steady state. It just says everytime I try to start it whether from accesories or under manage computer "disk defrag could not start". Any ideas how to get this fixed? I have tried from fix it software and that doesnt work either. It would sure be nice to get my pc defraged. Ps wont work from command line either

Thanks, Jamie

Monday, May 11, 2009 2:53 AM
  • As Sean Zhu noted, enabling Disk Protection disables Disk Defragmenter. Unfortunately, SteadyState does not re-enable Disk Defragmenter when one disables Disk Protection, or after a failed attempt to enable Disk Protection, or even after uninstalling Steady State. My quick solution is to use the below registry entry to remove the block on Disk Defragmenter in Windows XP with NTFS partitions. Note that you should NOT enable/use Disk Defragmenter with Disk Protection enabled.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\0\Paths\{01D2FFE8-EF64-41AC-B18F-42A9954C5B06}]

Hey Sean, how about fixing this bug in the next update to Steady State?

Ed Ruth
    DataNet Services, Inc.

• Proposed as answer by Ed Ruth Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu -Moderator Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:21 AM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 2:07 PM
  • Ed, thank you for the feedback with the quick fix. I believe this is very useful for our users. I will also forward the thread to our dev team. Thank you.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:20 AM
  • I don't see that registry key for some reason.  I am having the same problem.  I am attempting to enable WDP, but have been advised to defrag first.  I am unable to get it to analyze or defragment.  Without defragging, it won't let me enable WDP, but since I have tried to enable WDP, Windows has decided that I am unable to defrag.  How great is that?
    Friday, May 22, 2009 2:41 PM
  • I just checked 10 different computers and it turns out that the value in braces {...} for the registry entry I provided varies from computer to computer. So, what you need to do is go to this registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\0\Paths

Then click on each entry under "Paths" and in the right-hand pane look for the string value "dfrgntfs.exe" in the "ItemData" entry. That key under "Paths" is the one you need to delete. If you do not find any entry with "dfrgntfs.exe", then it may be a different problem stopping Defrag.

Sean and all, sorry for the mistake in my previous post.

Ed Ruth
    DataNet Services, Inc.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 3:17 PM