Lync Licensing

Question

• Hi,

I want to license this Lync configuration:

1 FrontEnd server

2 mediation servers

1 Edge server

600 internal users

100 external users (from internet or from other lync servers by federation)

i want to have conferencing and use cisco voice IP.

Thx

Sunday, December 08, 2013 2:27 PM

Answers

• As Ben said you only need to license Front End servers whether physical or virtual. Consider the following:

• 3 Front End Servers
    • 2 Edge Servers
    • 2 Mediation Servers

You would need 3 Lync Server licenses only.

So in your scenario with 1 Front End Server you would only need 1 Lync Server license in total.

If you are going to use only Lync>Lync IP calls then you do not need PLUS cals. If you plan to integrate with voice gateways/PBX/SIP trunks then you need PLUS CALs.

In your case if you are going to integrate Cisco with Lync for calls you will need the PLUS CAL.

You can view additional information here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/microsoft-lync-licensing-overview-lync-for-multiple-users-FX103789668.aspx (the Lync Licensing guide is at the bottom)

If this helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer" | Blog www.lynced.com.au | Twitter @imlynced

Sunday, December 08, 2013 9:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From a Lync perspective you will need;

1 X Lync Server License (Only the Front end role needs licensing, so your Edge and mediation require nothing)

600 X Lync CAL's - There are 3 types of client access license available; Standard, Enterprise, and Plus. Each one offers the user more functionality, in brief:

Standard; Gives the user IM, presense and standard Lync functionality.
    Enterprise; Gives the user conferencing and collaboration functionality.
    Plus; Gives the user Enterprise Voice features.

Bare in mind that each is a prerequisite for the last, so if you wanted full functionality for a user, you would need all the CALs for said user.

Also keep in mind that there may be other indirect licensing requirements such as the host operating system, SQL licenses for any archiving and monitoring that you might deploy, and Exchange Enterprise licenses if you decide to deploy Unified Messaging for voicemail etc. I am not overly familiar with cisco, so am unable to answer if there is associated interoperability costing on that side if you were to have a SIP trunk between the two without a gateway (SIP License).

Kind regards
    Ben

Sunday, December 08, 2013 2:52 PM
  • Thank you for your answer.

Even, i install Lync on differents servers (virtual or physical) do i need just one licence (mediation or edge) ?

generally,when i want to use a voice IP do i need CAL PLUS ?

THx

Sunday, December 08, 2013 6:53 PM
  • As Ben said you only need to license Front End servers whether physical or virtual. Consider the following:

• 3 Front End Servers
    • 2 Edge Servers
    • 2 Mediation Servers

You would need 3 Lync Server licenses only.

So in your scenario with 1 Front End Server you would only need 1 Lync Server license in total.

If you are going to use only Lync>Lync IP calls then you do not need PLUS cals. If you plan to integrate with voice gateways/PBX/SIP trunks then you need PLUS CALs.

In your case if you are going to integrate Cisco with Lync for calls you will need the PLUS CAL.

You can view additional information here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/lync/microsoft-lync-licensing-overview-lync-for-multiple-users-FX103789668.aspx (the Lync Licensing guide is at the bottom)

If this helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer" | Blog www.lynced.com.au | Twitter @imlynced

Sunday, December 08, 2013 9:06 PM
  • Check the detailed information about Lync Server 2010 licensing at

http://blogs.technet.com/b/ucedsg/archive/2010/10/13/lync-2010-licensing.aspx

Lisa Zheng
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 09, 2013 8:43 AM